notation software -which to use

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
jrethorst

Post by jrethorst » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:11 pm

Concerning programs' output, this comparison is interesting:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jfalbano/

in "Six Music Notation Programs", comparing Encore, Finale, Lilypond, Overture, Score and Sibelius.
Last edited by jrethorst on Sat May 26, 2007 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClassicalGuitar

Post by ClassicalGuitar » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:26 am

Why not simply use PowerTab :?:

Jennifer Z

Post by Jennifer Z » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:11 pm

I haven't read all the posts but didn't see any mention of Personal Composer. When I was a PC user I had Personal Composer, it's pretty reasonably priced and I absolutely loved it! I have recently been converted to a Mac user and have only found the best music notation software to be Finale. I emailed Personal Composer to ask if it was compatable with Mac and they just told me to buy a PC, so I gathered from that that Personal Composer is for PC only. I found it really easy to use, far more user friendly than Finale!

Any comment??

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:39 am

Hey hav, a bit late on that, but since I started writing my own music, I was looking for a notation program. Well, thanks for the LilyPond hint :!:

Since, in my previous life, I was kind of C++, Java, HTML, SGML, PHP and stuff guy, I feel very much attracted by a source text editor :roll:

Wolfgang

MathieuGPL

Post by MathieuGPL » Wed May 16, 2007 12:48 pm

How about a program called Music Press by Graphire; it looks fancy, and there's a demo.

http://www.graphire.com/

MathieuGPL

Re: Guitar Pro

Post by MathieuGPL » Thu May 17, 2007 7:02 am

Anonymous wrote:The one thing I really don't like about Guitar Pro is that the Tab is on top of the regular sheet music. It just feels backwards.
I agree. While using it I also realized i couldn't put a triple appoggiatura (e.g.: b.181 of the first movement of Beethoven's String Quartet Op.18, No.1).
However, i do like the program's layout because it's organized and easy to work with.

btw.. that Music Press program was mundo funky and i didn't bother.
I'm wondering if the image they put on their homepage is an output from their program.

Luki Duki

Post by Luki Duki » Thu May 24, 2007 5:27 pm

Sibelius 4 is the best I think, better than music publisher.

In last week I re-wrote Leyenda de Espana (Quartet) by Eythorr Thorlakkson for knowing the feel of the playing in Sibelius, and I played the midi file.
Wonderful.

rmtasker

Post by rmtasker » Fri May 25, 2007 1:37 pm

I've compiled the list below of music notation software from various sources:

Music Publisher 5
GuitarPro
Noteworthy
Sibelius
Tabledit
Powertab
Finale
Notepad
GVox
PrintMusic
Mozart
MagicScore Maestro
Overture by Genisoft
Cakewalk from Twelve Tone Systems
Django lute tablature software
Melody and Harmony Assistant http://www.myriad-online.com
Quartz AudioMaster Freeware http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com
Lilypond http://lilypond.org/web/
Music Press by Graphire

I have not evaluated any of these, but I personally use Guitar Pro 5 mainly because my son wanted to use it and it is cheap. It is great for blues, rock, pop, etc, (which suits my son) but has various shortcomings for classical notation. Because I have already bought it, I have started to lobby the authors Arobas Music to make various improvements. Maybe one day it will be as powerful as Finale or Finale, but not yet.

Rod

owl

Post by owl » Fri May 25, 2007 1:45 pm

Jennifer Z wrote:I haven't read all the posts but didn't see any mention of Personal Composer. When I was a PC user I had Personal Composer, it's pretty reasonably priced and I absolutely loved it! I have recently been converted to a Mac user and have only found the best music notation software to be Finale. I emailed Personal Composer to ask if it was compatable with Mac and they just told me to buy a PC, so I gathered from that that Personal Composer is for PC only. I found it really easy to use, far more user friendly than Finale!

Any comment??
I haven't used it but it looks pretty comprehensive... and there are 'extras' as well.
I guess it could be added to Rod's list

http://www.pcomposer.com/

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

jrethorst

Post by jrethorst » Sat May 26, 2007 10:57 pm

Score Writer, at $49, is very good. See the URL in the first post of this thread.
John Rethorst
1983 Alejandro
2004 Yamaha GC-31
Classical and nylon jazz

jrethorst

Re: Haven't found a way to flip it yet

Post by jrethorst » Sat May 26, 2007 11:01 pm

cconsaul wrote:There's another program called Tabledit that puts standard notation on top and tab on the bottom. I haven't played with it as much because I haven't found as many score available, but it is definately out there and similarin a lot of ways.
See a list of Tabledit files in the Reference Library section of the forum.
John Rethorst
1983 Alejandro
2004 Yamaha GC-31
Classical and nylon jazz

sender

Post by sender » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:17 pm

I like the interface for GuitarPro but at the moment I can't seem to find a way to put down two notes of differing duration at the same time. If I change the duration of one note in a chord, all the notes in that chord change duration. Nothing in the help files helped :roll:
I can manage this with TablEdit though.

Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:27 am

Hey guys, just got a quick question...

Does anyone know of transcription software such as these mentioned that would allow me to enter the string of a particular note, and to specify which left-hand finger would fret the note?

I can specify right-hand fingerings with Sibelius 4, but if it's able to do these two other things, I haven't figured out how.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bukena

Post by bukena » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:58 am

People might be shocked by this, but... powertab editor is a lot more versatil than guitar pro... and it's freeware.

woz

Post by woz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:09 am

Dreadnought - I am not sure if I am interpreting your problem correctly, but if all you want to do in Sibelius is put in the circle string number (indicating what string is to be plucked) - then select the note and press z. There are string numbers with circles in the window which appears.

and a finger number for what left hand finger is being used at that fret, then just use the "fingering" menu - create text>other staff text>fingering.
(this is using the menu in version 3 - not sure on v4 but should be similar to this.)

Return to “Composers' Workshop”