notation software -which to use

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
woz

Music Press

Post by woz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:23 am

MathieuGPL - and others who are interested - Music Press has not been continued in development for about 5 years or so. I am not sure if they still answer emails or if you can purchase the software. I have tried to contact them recently and received no reply via email.

Yes that is a typical output of the software notation on the front page and there are numerous examples on other pages of the site:

http://www.graphire.com

I have this software - running on old Macintosh system (OS9). There is a Windows version out - not sure how stable it is on XP, since it was developed before XP. It produces beautiful notation, but is very idiosyncratic to use - not as complicated as Finale though - in fact it is easy to learn. Mainly publishers used it - many probably still do. It can do some fancy notational things, but in order to get them you have to play around with things a bit, but once it prints you get an amazing reward. The slurs and font itself are very elegant and really it puts most other computer-generated software to shame including Sibelius and Finale (in my opinion.)
No tab though.

Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:45 pm

Ah why thank you woz, that was precisely what I was looking for!

:D

owl

Re: Music Press

Post by owl » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:56 pm

woz wrote: No tab though.
It looks very interesting woz

According to the sample output it DOES support tab though

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

woz

Post by woz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:01 am

Does too - Owl, I had forgotten - or maybe never used it. I am looking at the manual and it has about 60 words on entering tab using a "temporary procedure" - the last two words are scattered about the manual, meaning that they would be working on better procedures in the future - which never happened.

We all put up with using it - helping with beta testing etc. for each sub-version coming out - as it created such gorgeous output.

woz

contacting GRAPHIRE

Post by woz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:05 am

- a long shot, but if there is anyone near Seattle and has the inclination, phone them up and see what is going on with its development. I was trying to swap my old Mac dongle (hardware protection system) for a USB one but there is no reply from various email addresses. I might post them a letter.

jrethorst

Re: notation software -which to use

Post by jrethorst » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:38 pm

hav wrote: 3. ScoreWriter - http://www.geniesoft.biz/
Score Writer's web site is now http://sonicscores.com/
John Rethorst
1983 Alejandro
2004 Yamaha GC-31
Classical and nylon jazz

jrethorst

Re:

Post by jrethorst » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:09 am

jrethorst wrote:Concerning programs' output, this comparison is interesting:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jfalbano

in "Six Music Notation Programs", comparing Encore, Finale, Lilypond, Overture, Score and Sibelius.
Link is now http://home.earthlink.net/~jfalbano/Six ... %20v.2.pdf
John Rethorst
1983 Alejandro
2004 Yamaha GC-31
Classical and nylon jazz

gtrfinger

Post by gtrfinger » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:05 am

+1 Tabledit

A great composition and practice tool
google Mike Fowler guitar

slithytove

Post by slithytove » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:22 pm

This is a very helpful thread, thanks all. I've been unable to add any extended guitar technique notation into my finale 'print music' program, and after discussing it with finale tech support I ended up buying the full program. I haven't installed it yet, I hope it lives up to expectation, and I wish I would have read your posts before I bought it!

bergmann

Post by bergmann » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:04 pm

A couple of other threads on this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61325
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=57974

Mcnabbmh

Post by Mcnabbmh » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:24 am

I don't think anyone has mentioned MuseScore here. It is a fairly simple but feature-rich notation program and it's free. It's definitely faster than putting together and formatting a piece in Lilypond, but it probably doesn't have the professional quality output that Lilypond has. I believe it can output to Lilypond, though, so you could jot down all the notes and then edit the result in LP to get the output you want. Just a thought.

jeff_hatcher

Re: scores?

Post by jeff_hatcher » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:59 am

Darrin_Smith wrote:I would recommend guitar pro
Guitar pro is actually pretty versatile. You can score for more than just guitar, though I love the guitar-friendly touches it has (chord diagrams, hammer-ons, pull-offs, etc.) Once you get used to using the keyboard for entry, it goes pretty fast.

Janry Cabasagan

Re: scores?

Post by Janry Cabasagan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:06 pm

jeff_hatcher wrote:
Darrin_Smith wrote:I would recommend guitar pro
Guitar pro is actually pretty versatile. You can score for more than just guitar, though I love the guitar-friendly touches it has (chord diagrams, hammer-ons, pull-offs, etc.) Once you get used to using the keyboard for entry, it goes pretty fast.
+1 too on Guitar Pro!
GP6 User here! What I love in Arobas' GP, is not only on how good and versatile their software is.,sounds REAL too! Thanks for the RSE features and customization., Incase we would want to make a back.up mini-orchestra,.It's a nice tool to have.
And more plus for user like me who use iDevices (iPADs), It's available for iPhone/iPad Windows and Macs!:D

Try it out!
FREEwares I seldomly use are :
TuxGuitar
MuseScore.

Marco Helms

Post by Marco Helms » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:16 pm

If you want FULL control over the score-output, there is no alternative to lilypond, I guess. It is the most flexible (and most complex) notation proggy ever. You can do LF & RF fingerings, position EACH fingering in diffent directions (left / right, up /down to the note), string number indication, barre, glissando, hammering / pull offs... It surely takes some time to get used to, especially the notation input via keyboard commands, but it is worth it. And there is a very good english documentation and a very friendly user forum for it, too.

To use lily with a simple texteditor is frustrating. Just download the frescobaldi IDE, too. It supports syntax highlight, auto complete and many more.

If you don't want the perfekt score but prefer mouse input on a virtual guitar, just use tuxguitar. There is no benefit of spending money on guitar pro in my opinion. And if you like to "pimp" your score later on, you can export it to lilypond :D

scratchy

Post by scratchy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:29 am

GP6 is amazing, i can write whatever i want, the learning curve is really fast and also has some nice sounds. If you need to compose for other instruments i m sure there are better options but just for guitar., GP6 is really great and worth it!

The BIG drawback is the midi export function is not working properly, but they have said that this issue will be fixet on GP7

Return to “Composers' Workshop”