notation software -which to use

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
attila57
Amateur luthier

Re: notation software -which to use

Post by attila57 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:33 am

Hi All,

I think, for classical guitar, and classical music in general, MuseScore is absolutely amazing. It's totally free and very nice for classical guitar music. It offers absolute freedom of creation, musically and graphically as well. It handles four totally different voices, each with multiple-note possibility, so you can solve all your voicing problems. Fingerings (right-left) plus all the usual classical guitar markings can be neatly added wherever you like! It needs some learning, but it's worth - the result is really beautiful, absolutely print quality. You can be (and need to be) a real graphic designer with this. Plus you can download really nice (and big) sound fonts to play, enjoy and assess your music. It exports, imports MIDI, exports PDF, incorporates pictures or anything (text, PDF) into your printed score and has lots of nice functions, synthesizer, mixer, etc. It has internal fonts for text, too.

As I have experienced, GP5 &GP6 is, rather for those who like pre-set, fast results, don't want to fuss about minor details and need TAB most of all. My pop musician friends usually prefer those editors.

There's a lute TAB editor around as well, which is an older, and not-so-worked-out program, so some experience is needed to compile it and make it work, but is well worth the effort - the result is absolutely smooth, special and true to historical sources. If anyone is interested I can dig out the address. You can find it if you type 'lute TAB' in a search engine.

TablEdit is better than GP6, although simpler, but this is rather an advantage. It has a huge and useful flamenco library, too.

Attila :bye:
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:20 am

attila57 wrote:There's a lute TAB editor around as well...You can find it if you type 'lute TAB' in a search engine.
What program are you referring to? Searching 'lute TAB' in Google doesn't bring up anything relevant when I try it. However I do know of two lute tablature programs, both Windows only, namely Fronimo and Django. You can find both of these by googling.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

attila57
Amateur luthier

Post by attila57 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:51 am

Hello Pogmoor,

The editor you're interested in is called TAB. It is available from the following lute website:

ftp://ftp.cs.dartmouth.edu/pub/lute/

You must compile the program for yourself using C++ compiler from the downloaded source code. It's command prompt program, but it runs in Windows, too. It is marvellously simple to use and the result is absolutely amazing. You must familiarize yourself with the simple programming instructions though. There's a downloadable manual on the site for that.

From the quoted site you can download hundreds of beautifully pre-edited lute tabulatures, too. The tabs there were all set using the TAB program, so you can see what you're aiming for in advance.

Attila :bye:
Music to hear, why hear'st thou music sadly?
Sweets with sweets war not, joy delights in joy...

William Shakespeare, Sonnet 8

Prashanth Sebastian

Re: I use Noteworthy Composer

Post by Prashanth Sebastian » Tue May 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Guitarman2005 wrote:HI.
What about Noteworthy Composer ?

It si quite easy to use, not very expensive, and it puts a very little load on computer memory (RAM).

This product can import *** Please no direct link to a file. Point to the homepage of the corresponding site *** files and can also play the scores.

You can exclude the parts that you dont' want to ear on a SATB piece.

Even the playback of chords is very good.

You can find it here...
http://www.noteworthysoftware.com

Guitarman2005
:merci:
how can i convert nwc files to pdf or png ?
is it possible ?
if it is a stupid question please excuse :desole:

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue May 28, 2013 4:03 pm

Prashanth Sebastian wrote: how can i convert nwc files to pdf or png ?
is it possible ?
I don't use Noteworthy Composer or the Windows OS, but I'm pretty sure you can do this by using PDF creation software such as TinyPDF (which is free).
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Les Backshall
Luthier

Post by Les Backshall » Tue May 28, 2013 4:27 pm

It si quite easy to use, not very expensive, and it puts a very little load on computer memory (RAM).
This product can import *** Please no direct link to a file. Point to the homepage of the corresponding site *** files and can also play the scores.
You can find it here...
Guitarman2005
I used NWC since it first came out as shareware, many years ago. It is a good programme, but quite limited.
Two years ago I started using Musescore and it is superior in every way - very similar to Sibelius in its features.
What is the best software for you really depends on what you want to do with it. For guitar scores GP and Tabledit are straightforward and have some good features; but if you are doing ensemble arrangements from orchestral scores, for instance, and need something that will handle more complex notation, then Musescore is a very powerful programme - and it's free.

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

Prashanth Sebastian

Post by Prashanth Sebastian » Wed May 29, 2013 6:08 am

pogmoor wrote:
Prashanth Sebastian wrote: how can i convert nwc files to pdf or png ?
is it possible ?
I don't use Noteworthy Composer or the Windows OS, but I'm pretty sure you can do this by using PDF creation software such as TinyPDF (which is free).
thank you pogmoor for the replay. :D
will you please send me the link ? please

Prashanth Sebastian

Post by Prashanth Sebastian » Wed May 29, 2013 6:19 am

Les Backshall wrote:
You can find it here...
Guitarman2005
I used NWC since it first came out as shareware, many years ago. It is a good programme, but quite limited.
Two years ago I started using Musescore and it is superior in every way - very similar to Sibelius in its features.
What is the best software for you really depends on what you want to do with it. For guitar scores GP and Tabledit are straightforward and have some good features; but if you are doing ensemble arrangements from orchestral scores, for instance, and need something that will handle more complex notation, then Musescore is a very powerful programme - and it's free.

Les
than you for the replay..
i like to write my compositions and and convert to any viewable format like pdf,png,gif or jpj.
and publish in the forum.
if above mentioned program can convert, please send me the link.

guitargeorge

Post by guitargeorge » Wed May 29, 2013 6:25 am

+1 for musescore

madmusicmama

Post by madmusicmama » Wed May 29, 2013 7:10 am

For a list of score-writers go to:
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scorewriters.

Les Backshall
Luthier

Post by Les Backshall » Wed May 29, 2013 8:55 am

Musescore will do pdf and png, amongst others.
You can find it here:

http://musescore.org/

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

Prashanth Sebastian

Post by Prashanth Sebastian » Wed May 29, 2013 12:00 pm

thank you...

i am very happy to be a member in this forum... :discussion:

even we are very much far from each other, the delcamp keep us together. :delcamp_fiesta:

and you know it is a great feeling ...

choros

Post by choros » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:38 pm

+Musescore Free, easy and seems powerful.

petemeyersguitar

Post by petemeyersguitar » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:26 pm

I love the no-nonsense approach of Musescore. If you don't want something on the page, you don't need to sort through a 100 page manual for each specific situation. Just right click and delete. Less time on the computer means more with the guitar.

Remarc

Post by Remarc » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:40 am

Hi there,

For some time I use guitar pro 6 and I can say that it is all the other programs I've used so far surpasses by far in terms of user friendliness. It comes in terms of print quality, not to lilypond approach, but offers an easy to read notation.

Greetings
Remarc

Return to “Composers' Workshop”