notation software -which to use

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
arpisma

Re: notation software -which to use

Post by arpisma » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi to everyone, just joining the conversation. I've worked as a transcriber and therefore I've used most of the music notation software in the market. My pick is without question Musescore. Very user-friendly and always evolving towards the good direction. Now of course it doesn't provide all the advanced options that Finale or Sibelius do, but still it's a good damn software - and it's free! :D

Steve J Rice

Post by Steve J Rice » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:30 am

arpisma wrote:Hi to everyone, just joining the conversation. I've worked as a transcriber and therefore I've used most of the music notation software in the market. My pick is without question Musescore. Very user-friendly and always evolving towards the good direction. Now of course it doesn't provide all the advanced options that Finale or Sibelius do, but still it's a good damn software - and it's free! :D
Hi,
I have installed Musescore and have to say it does a good job, but it has some annoying faults which may be my lack of knowledge. As yet have resolved some of of it's "features" but not all :( . Will persevere and keep you updated.
Also installed Lilypond, which went very smoothly and pretty quickly. Now to see how it works!!
Steve

Steve J Rice

Post by Steve J Rice » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Steve J Rice wrote: Also installed Lilypond, which went very smoothly and pretty quickly. Now to see how it works!!
Steve
Hhmmm, Lilypond looks to produce superb output but the input being text based takes some getting used to. Having investigated the possible methods of inputting to Lilypond have come to the conclusion that a mix of Elysium running on Eclipse producing Lilypond is probably the solution but will keep you informed after a longer trial. This does need a large investment in terms of time and space to get it all installed but currently I think it's worth it. Installed on Windows 7.
Happy composing,
Steve :chaud:

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re:

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:58 pm

MathieuGPL wrote:How about a program called Music Press by Graphire; it looks fancy, and there's a demo.

http://www.graphire.com/
I don't know if this has already been pointed out later on in the thread, but this software has not been supported or updated since about 2000. It was developed by one guy in Vermont with a bit of support from a couple of others, and he just couldn't compete with the big names, not least because his vision of the software was that it would be a purely copyists tool, with no bells and whistles. Unfortunately most people want bells and whistles.

I still use it, and for this reason still keep a collection of very old Macs around because it only runs under Mac Classic. There is apparently a Windows version but that too must be seriously out of date.

The main reason I still use it, apart from the fact that I paid quite a lot for it in around 1997, is the quality of the output. If you want printed notation to look like it was done the old fashioned way, by hand, not by computer, this is still the best around, all the others, to my knowledge, betray the software used in their printing.

There always were a couple of bugs that were never fixed, but there are workarounds. If anyone comes across a legit copy and have the requisite antique hardware I'd recommend it.

Stephen

PS there are one or two PDF samples on my website.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re:

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:17 pm

woz wrote:Does too - Owl, I had forgotten - or maybe never used it. I am looking at the manual and it has about 60 words on entering tab using a "temporary procedure" - the last two words are scattered about the manual, meaning that they would be working on better procedures in the future - which never happened.

We all put up with using it - helping with beta testing etc. for each sub-version coming out - as it created such gorgeous output.
Good points. MP definitely does tablature, I use it regularly for electric guitar stuff, but not lute tab, and it won't without much creativity add rhythm stems.

Stephen
Louis Panormo (1838)

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:27 pm

This is very much a future thing, but worthy of note and interest. A large question mark hangs over Sibelius, long one of the major players in the professional end of the market, after the owners, Avid, saw fit to close the London development and support branch. The main figure in the recent history of Sibelius was Daniel Spreadbury, and he and various others from his team were quickly hired by Steinberg with a brief to design from scratch a new notation package, both to stand-alone and also integrate with existing Steinberg systems such as Cubase.
Dan's blog on this is here;
http://blog.steinberg.net/
and is a very geeky but also disarmingly charming account of progress so far, and gives a good idea as to how he achieved his position (eg he actually replies to postings! :daccord:

Stephen
Louis Panormo (1838)

Smith

Post by Smith » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Thanks for the link! I look forward to the release of this new notation software. It looks like any body starting out with music notation (like me) would be best off to practice up on Musecore, because it's free. Then in a year or so jump to this new product.

It is especially cool that they blog about their progress and
integrate the feedback--maybe Microsoft should do
that!

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:06 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:This is very much a future thing, but worthy of note and interest. A large question mark hangs over Sibelius...
The Steinberg plans seem to promise something special in the future, but I think it’s too early to write off Sibelius. At any rate Avid claim that they are continuing to develop it, with promises of version 8 sometime!
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Nick Payne
Amateur luthier

Post by Nick Payne » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:02 pm

Steve J Rice wrote:
Steve J Rice wrote: Also installed Lilypond, which went very smoothly and pretty quickly. Now to see how it works!!
Steve
Hhmmm, Lilypond looks to produce superb output but the input being text based takes some getting used to. Having investigated the possible methods of inputting to Lilypond have come to the conclusion that a mix of Elysium running on Eclipse producing Lilypond is probably the solution but will keep you informed after a longer trial. This does need a large investment in terms of time and space to get it all installed but currently I think it's worth it. Installed on Windows 7.
Happy composing,
Steve :chaud:
I'd suggest you look at Frescobaldi as an input editor for Lilypond. https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/releases

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:12 am

pogmoor wrote:
Stephen Kenyon wrote:This is very much a future thing, but worthy of note and interest. A large question mark hangs over Sibelius...
The Steinberg plans seem to promise something special in the future, but I think it’s too early to write off Sibelius. At any rate Avid claim that they are continuing to develop it, with promises of version 8 sometime!
I'm sure its correct to not write-off Sibelius anytime soon, not least because it has a massive user base. Avid may have alienated many people in their recent actions but that kind of soreness can easily fade with time, and they will know that in fact their action has rather backfired on them, in inadvertently creating a (future) competitor that would not have existed otherwise; this, if they have any sense, will redouble their intent to develop and support Sibelius precisely because otherwise they risk losing their position in this market entirely.

Stephen
Louis Panormo (1838)

Steve J Rice

Post by Steve J Rice » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:00 am

Nick Payne wrote: I'd suggest you look at Frescobaldi as an input editor for Lilypond. https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/releases
Hi Nick,
I do have Frescobaldi and after getting to grips with it and finding the midi player etc I am seriously changing my mind, it does an excellent virtually graphical input but with total textual control. So ultimately I support your recommendation. Thanks Nick

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re:

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:47 pm

billb wrote:The best notation software you could ever use is music publisher.

You can down load the evaluation for free.

Check out this transcription I did using it.

It also has midi.

It is by far the best and I have used them all.

viewtopic.php?t=469
There's a few sweeping statements there, are there not? You've used literally all of them!?
The PDF samples look nice enough but there were no really demanding examples and the font looked a bit amateurish.
You didn't mention that its Windoze only, and while I tried to find your Albeniz there was no link present. Perhaps because its 7 years ago?

Stephen
Louis Panormo (1838)

pogmoor

Re: Re:

Post by pogmoor » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:56 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
billb wrote:The best notation software you could ever use is music publisher...
There's a few sweeping statements there, are there not? You've used literally all of them!?..
You are also referencing a post from 2005 by someone who is no longer a member :?
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Re:

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:08 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
billb wrote:The best notation software you could ever use is music publisher...
There's a few sweeping statements there, are there not? You've used literally all of them!?..
You are also referencing a post from 2005 by someone who is no longer a member :?
Woops! How did that happen? :reflechir:
Louis Panormo (1838)

atza

Post by atza » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:19 am

Guitar pro ?

Return to “Composers' Workshop”