Software questions - pdf for distribution

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
tbman

Software questions - pdf for distribution

Post by tbman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:16 pm

I use Guitar Pro 5 to compose etudes and songs, but I found out that the PDF files it creates requires users to have the Guitar Pro fonts installed on their computers. What software do you use to create sheet music and have you had the same distribution problem I discovered? (To solve the problem, I created BMP files of the music, but I'm sure there is a way to make PDF files that everyone can read).

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: Software questions - pdf for distribution

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:28 pm

I've never had any problems with "Cutewriter" to save my Finale files to PDF.

It's free software that loads itself into your printer options. When you go to print and are asked to "choose printer", choose "Cute".

Hope it works for you!

Alan

JQ.

Post by JQ. » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:11 pm

tbman, I can only guess that GP5's PDF Export feature is doing something proprietary.

I use a print driver called PDF995 that works the same way as how Tarbaby described Cutewriter.

I haven't used Guitar Pro, but PDF995 works flawlessly with the Power Tab editor, creating nice small size PDFs that I've shared with others and no one has ever said there was a font problem.

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:48 pm

Alan, are you referring to the one called CutePDF Writer? (That's the one I use, and have not had font or glyph problems either.) http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp As JQ and Alan said, it functions like a virtual "printer" and works with all of your software.

tbman

Post by tbman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 am

Thanks everyone. I found this software called DoPDF that captures printer output and creates a PDF. I'll test it out on you guys some night.

Barry

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:47 pm

I use PDFCreator on my XP PC and CutePDF on my Vista laptop.

juerg

Post by juerg » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:30 pm

The secret is to embed the fonts in the PDF file. I never used Guitar Pro but I just found a webpage that claims that Guitar Pro has a check box labeled "Do Not Embed Fonts" (probably in the PDF export dialog box). Make sure that this box is not checked.

To answer your other question, I am using Lilypond http://lilypond.org and love it. It produces perfect PDF files (very high quality, small size). So far I encountered no problems reading them on other computers.

tbman

Post by tbman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:56 am

juerg wrote:The secret is to embed the fonts in the PDF file. I never used Guitar Pro but I just found a webpage that claims that Guitar Pro has a check box labeled "Do Not Embed Fonts" (probably in the PDF export dialog box). Make sure that this box is not checked.

To answer your other question, I am using Lilypond http://lilypond.org and love it. It produces perfect PDF files (very high quality, small size). So far I encountered no problems reading them on other computers.

Thanks Juerg, I'll take a look at that.

Barry

Return to “Composers' Workshop”