any free programs for creating sheet music?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Kris

Re: any free programs for creating sheet music?

Post by Kris » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:18 pm

Flamey was kind enough to provide me with an export of his Study in A minor IV (compare with this PDF).

At first LilyPond was not able to produce the PDF because Musescore failed to close some sections properly. Closing them manually took care of that problem and it was able to produce an output. The log file, however, shows a lot of "warning: barcheck failed at..." messages which is probably a reason for the unusable output.

Obviously, notating in Musescore and creating the PDF from Lilypond is out of the question :(
2009-08-12_171134.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:43 pm

Yay! LilyPond improved my score.

You're right, Kris, that's a disaster. So in answer to you question: "How is its LilyPond export?" The answer is "Not very well at all!"

I tried to import that same .LY file back in to MuseScore and the results were even less impressive.

The thing is, MuseScore is by no means perfect, it's an on-going thing, and there's a new release due which may well fix some or all the apparent bugs in the .LY import/export. I still find it better than other freeware.

Nick Payne
Amateur luthier

Post by Nick Payne » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:54 pm

Entering the notes is fairly straightforward, even several voices are handled easily. But as soon as you want to add ornamentations, fingerings, dynamic markings, etc. it becomes a complete nightmare
For inputting Lilypond source code I use jEdit with the Lilypondtool plugin. Works rather nicely, cross platform (runs on anything that supports Java), even has a virtual piano keyboard with midi input if you want to enter notes that way.

Over time I've also managed to develop a set of Lilypond music functions and jEdit macros to ease the input of LH and FH fingering, barring and string number indications, etc. I'm quite willing to share these if anyone is interested.

RolandPalm

Post by RolandPalm » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:06 pm

Nick Payne wrote:Lilypond - outputs in PDF and also optionally creates midi files. If you look at the Mutopia Project web site, every score there has been created with Lilypond.

http://www.mutopiaproject.org/

http://lilypond.org/web/
Thank you sooooooooo much for this information!

R

habbash

Post by habbash » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:29 am

I also tried to create some scores in lilypond, but it is very difficult to get started when you don't work with it very often.

I also recommend musescore!!!!
It is very intuitive and has everything a good notation software needs. The quality of the score is very good and you have many possibilities like edit your fingerings and also the position of the fingerings and so on...

A few months ago I tried a few demo versions of expensive notation software and couldn't really see a big advantage of one of them compared to this wonderful free program

akoma enas

Post by akoma enas » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:35 pm

An old but freeware flexible and easy to use program:
Ntape recorder.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”