Score writing software for guitar

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Dual Trace

Score writing software for guitar

Post by Dual Trace » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:38 pm

What software do you recommend for guitar score writing? Would be nice to allow adding fingering too.
I want to re-write the guitar pieces I keep in my repertoire. They come from several guitar books and it’s uncomfortable to keep all of them handy. They aren’t spiral bound either so they’re hard to deal with. Plus many pieces start on one page and continue on the next and you need to turn the page.
My son uses Score writer which is very simple to use, but can’t make it write the guitar stuff I want. For example when you have some treble notes going simultaneously with bass notes, it just does not want to do it.

Thanks,
Dual Trace

at_leo_87

Re: Score writing software for guitar

Post by at_leo_87 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:31 am

sibelius is the mother of all notation software. but it'll cost you half your soul.
there's also the free musescore
guitar pro 5 is pretty popular.

then there's tabedit and powertab, but they're for tablatures.

if i were you, i'd try musecore. what the heck, why not, it's free. :D

also, i'd check again with your son's software. you should be able to do simultaneous notes and chords, maybe you just haven't figured it out.

toneslave

Post by toneslave » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:52 am

Finale.

It's a pain to figure out and once you do and stop for a little it's not like riding a bike. It costs a ton of cash and everyone else's scores look like yours...I love it though - does EVERYTHING. All the bells and all the whistles are there...

Chris Davis

Post by Chris Davis » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:07 am

I use finale.

It works, but it's crazy hard to figure out. Also crazy expensive.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:50 am

If you want really first class results use Finale or Sibelius - I use Sibelius, having found it easier to use than Finale, but either of them will give you a professional quality score.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

arby

Post by arby » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:30 am

at_leo_87 wrote: then there's tabedit and powertab, but they're for tablatures.
Tabledit works for standard notation or tablature or both.
It is easy to use, and designed for guitar, so has lots of guitar specific features.

Sean

Post by Sean » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:48 am

MusEdit

DanielMcPherson

Post by DanielMcPherson » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:06 pm

I like LilyPond, but it's definitely not for everyone. With LilyPond, instead of creating a score by visually placing notes on a staff, you describe your score as a text file and run that input through a program that generates the score.

This page has a "crash course" that explains how LilyPond works: http://lilypond.org/switch/howto
If it seems like something that might appeal to you, you can go to the main page http://lilypond.org/ to download the software and read more a detailed tutorial.

If, by any chance, you're a computer programmer then LilyPond will probably make a lot of sense to you. If you are a normal person, it may seem very weird and you might be better off with MuseScore or some other program.

Moderato

Post by Moderato » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Give MuseScore a try. It's free and for personal use it works great.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30868

Dual Trace

Post by Dual Trace » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:02 pm

Thanks for the replies, will do some digging.
Scorewriter will do chords, but will not do this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:56 pm

sibelius used to be only for score, and is great, but recent versions are now with avid, which is an audio software.
Has anyone got this and is it useful?

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:16 pm

Dual Trace wrote:Thanks for the replies, will do some digging.
Scorewriter will do chords, but will not do this.
[unfeasibly large music fragment]
It took longer to do a screen shot and make this jpeg than it did to create it in MuseScore in the first place.
Frag.JPG
All, except one, of the scores that I have uploaded here have been created in MuseScore -- I cannot recommend it highly enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dual Trace

Post by Dual Trace » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:36 pm

Being free, I guess if I don't try Muse Score it will be my fault.

Thanks a lot!

40k/year

Post by 40k/year » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:06 pm

Oh boy, Oh boy. Need, Need.

I was told Finale could be used to play CG into mic(how they git mike outta this, eh?)
Nope. Only one note instruments may apply, ie: sax, horn, etc.
I need to play chord and see it on score vertically as we see on real music in notation, not tab or fretdots. Showing chords as arpeggios would be a mess, showing just C, Am, Em7sus/dim/retardo won't help me a bunch either. This cannot be too much to ask.

So, I called Finale and got the word. Nope, won't do it. Guit too complicated sound for software to pick up nuances, etc. C'mon you genius Geeks, put your nose to the grindstone, and whip it out for us. No demand?

Dang! I was ready to pay, Egad..400 bucks, but alas and alack, end of dream. Does anybody know of software we can play into laptop and get proper notation written on the screen (thus, to paper)? I ask for little, my brothers and sisters. Well, at least for now.

P S I tried to put fella with notation about his noggin', to the right of page, but got bunch of script instead.>>>>>>

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:28 pm

malc laney wrote:sibelius used to be only for score, and is great, but recent versions are now with avid, which is an audio software.
Has anyone got this and is it useful?
Sibelius is now owned by Avid and the latest version does have a number of new features. Have a look at http://www.sibeliusblog.com/ to find out more.
40k/year wrote:Does anybody know of software we can play into laptop and get proper notation written on the screen (thus, to paper)? I ask for little, my brothers and sisters. Well, at least for now.
No software does this particularly well, but the two programs I know about that get somewhere near it are AudioScore and Melodyne (currently only the new beta version will do this for polyhonic music).
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Return to “Composers' Workshop”