Score writing software for guitar

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
AsturiasFan

Re: Score writing software for guitar

Post by AsturiasFan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:00 am

Just downloaded LilyPond and MuseScore. Both are free.

Here's a question for the MuseScore experts.

How do you give the bass note of a chord a downward stem and the upper notes an upward stem? Appears to be impossible since the chord will be given only one stem. Setting the stem direction for one note sets it for all notes of the chord.

Edit November 28: MuseScore and LIlyPond are free. Sibelius, Finale, MusEdit and GuitarPro have free 15-30 day trial downloads. In general these have powerful features but are greatly annoying from their rigidity. There will always be simple reasonable tasks that can't be done since graphics placement adheres to rules that the user can't override. Sibelius is the the only one I like in part because only it was able to duplicate a selected score -- with version 6, finger annotation comes with extreme precision.

GuitarPro isn't for CG since it doesn't have a good way of annotating left and right hand fingering.

Finale: An extensive search of the menus and documentation for Finale led me to believe it has no finger annotation capability.

MuseScore: Has a lot of features but also lacks some basic functionality. Finger annotation is automatically placed directly on the note head and to separate it from the head you must engage in the time consuming delicate task of selecting it with the mouse without selecting the head. Once selected, the annotation can not be easily placed since again it must be moved with the mouse.
Last edited by AsturiasFan on Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

flameproof

Post by flameproof » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:14 am

AsturiasFan wrote:How do you give the bass note of a chord a downward stem and the upper notes an upward stem?
You must use different voices for the bass and chord. Notice to the right of the note selection buttons you'll see four little squares numbered 1 - 4 -- whichever is selected will be the voice you are entering.

I alway choose 1 for the voice I consider the melody, 4 for the bass, and I use 2 and 3 for the middly bits. (I've never HAD to use all four voices).

AsturiasFan

Post by AsturiasFan » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:30 pm

Hey Flameproof. Thanks! That sounds easy. With that it looks like MuseScore does everything I want.

Edit: See previous edit.
Last edited by AsturiasFan on Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rocket88

Post by Rocket88 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:42 pm

One more vote for Sibelius

pollybell

Post by pollybell » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:22 pm

I've been using Sibelius for a few years now and it is really good. However, the cost of it can be a problem as it isn't cheap.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:30 pm

I've recently finished two scores in lilypond and am working on a third one. The sheer beauty of the end result never fails to amaze me.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

painter55

Post by painter55 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:54 am

I have Sibelius.

malc laney

Post by malc laney » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:51 pm

sibelius three won't load properly onto my new vista computer, inspite of doing everything asked of me by sibelius.i am not a happy bunny and would be dubious of investing in a later version which in theory i own but have little control over.
In fairness i have used sib for years with great results!

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:59 pm

I'm sure if you asked Sibelius technical support they would say that Sibelius 3 is such an old version that they wouldn't expect it to run on Vista. The current version is Sibelius 6; I run it on Mac OS X, but from all reports it runs really well on Vista (and I believe it also runs on Windows 7).
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

DanielMcPherson

Post by DanielMcPherson » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:32 pm

I've been trying out MuseScore this past week, and although I hate to admit it I'm afraid it may be winning me over from LilyPond.

When I tried MuseScore previously, I was entering notes the stupid way with the mouse and didn't like it at all. Now that I understand the keyboard controls, it's very easy. I still really like the concept of LilyPond, and as a programmer I like the idea of plain text source files (I have a lot more faith that I'll still be able to open a text file in thirty years than that I'll be able to use some binary file format), but entering notes into MuseScore is just easier. My LilyPond editing sessions always involve a lot of back and forth as I compile, look at the pdf, and realize that I've gotten my relative pitch off track and need to move some notes to the correct octave.

I might still prefer LilyPond's output. MuseScore can export to LilyPond files, but those files still need some tweaking. The exported files are particularly clean for program-generated source files, however -- much cleaner than, say, program-generated HTML -- so I don't mind working with them. I think my new workflow is going to become, 1) Enter notes into MuseScore, 2) Export to LilyPond, 3) Tweak until I like the printed output. Time will tell how optional steps 2 and 3 may be.

Thanks to flameproof and our other MuseScore users for touting its benefits enough to make me give it a second look.

Edit: On the other hand, MuseScore does like to crash a lot. Does that happen to anyone else?

Viccy

Post by Viccy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:27 pm

Does anybody know of software we can play into laptop and get proper notation written on the screen
I have heard of a thing called a MIDI guitar. I have never seen or used it, but perhaps it may be your answer.

ademir

Post by ademir » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:41 pm

tuxguitar

torogr

Post by torogr » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:28 pm

Certainly, Finale and Sibelius are the top end of the score writing programs. If you are writing for large ensembles, they are hard to beat.

However, they offer so much that they have a very, very steep learning curve, not to mention their cost.

TuxGuitar and PowerTab editor 1.7 are both free and do an adequate job for solo and a limited number and style of other instruments.

Tabledit and GuitarPro are around $50 US and offer a bit more in terms of formatting and flexibility. They allow you to show fingerings as well.

Someone said that Tabledit is only for TAB; that is not true. It can do both. I sometimes like to print out a score in both when there are altered tunings involved.

Each of the above allows you to import MIDI files and offers various export possibilities.

Don't know about Sibelius, but Finale does allow you to save a file in pdf format. However, there is a way to fool the computer into thinking it has Adobe Writer, and that is called cutepdf. It is a free software that sets itself up as a printer; you can then save the print job as a file.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Kris

Post by Kris » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:18 pm

Has anybody tried the recently released Notion 3? I think I tried it a few years ago just for fun. The new release is a rewrite, and does not have much in common with the previous generations though. It sure looks very slick, and they are aiming straight at Finale and Sibelius.

For those interested in software and UI design, this article is very interesting:

A case study in improving software: What Office 2010 can learn from Notion 3

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:29 pm

Kris wrote:Has anybody tried the recently released Notion 3?
I downloaded the demo to look at it. It certainly does look very slick and it aims to combine scorewriting with a strong emphasis on playback sound. It also seems to be the most fully ReWire enabled score writer (better than Sibelius). I think the one big drawback for writing guitar music is that it only seems to allow two voices per stave.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Return to “Composers' Workshop”