DanielMcPherson wrote: Edit: On the other hand, MuseScore does like to crash a lot. Does that happen to anyone else?
Yes! Every time I tried to modify a measure, MuseScore would crash. I finally had to delete the measure and rewrite it from scratch. This means the MuseScore encoding or translation has some bugs.
That's happened to me also -- it is indeed enormously frustrating, I've even had it repeatedly crash when I tried to delete what appeared to be an empty measure. Seems to me that MuseScore doesn't like certain things:
Triplets: inputting, editing and deleting triplets has a high rate of failure, I do a lot of saves when working with triplet figures, and try to get it right first time.
Differing time-signatures with Copy and Paste: MuseScore will have a hissy fit if one isn't careful to copy-from and paste-to identical time-signatures. It appears that once it has messed-up a bar in this way, the simplest work around is to forget what you did and re-open the last saved version.
Ties: Whoever implemented them had drunk too much coffee that day, best to enter them last of all -- arrange the staves so they don't cross between them.
However, I am getting used to its idiosyncracies, which have less and less impact on the process of creating scores. I also trust that these issues will be dealt with in future releases.
By the way, you could do your userly duty and report the bugs you come across on their website -- of course that doesn't help you today (though workarounds might be suggested).