Using " -Finale" - Notepad Music Writing Software

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
R_Pegio

Using " -Finale" - Notepad Music Writing Software

Post by R_Pegio » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:36 am

Can anyone tell how (or if) you can change key part way through a piece when using Finale? I'm sixty five and my eyesight is not as good as it once was, and the little scrap of paper that my music teacher gave me years ago with Carcassi's Valse in F# minor photocopied now resembles the Dead Sea Scrolls.

I know it's only a short, easy piece but I like it and enjoy playing it. It starts with sixteen bars (measures) in F# m then eight in A m but Finale won't allow the key change.

For the little bit I do I can't justify buying software - and in any case there's no guarantee that that would be better.
It doesn't take any brains to listen to music.

Luciano Pavarotti

Montgomery

Re: Using " -Finale" - Notepad Music Writing Software

Post by Montgomery » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:06 pm

Morning R_Pegio

I'm not sure about Finale as I don't use it. But there is a FREE piece of software that I downloaded recently and I believe this will do exactly what you are after. The link is below. I think it is ok to post this link but if not and it gets removed send me a private message and I will give you the link that way.

http://musescore.org/

Hope it works for you.
Montgomery

R_Pegio

Post by R_Pegio » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:18 pm

Thank you - I'll give it a try.

Luciano Pavarotti

R_Pegio

Post by R_Pegio » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:39 pm

Finale in general is really very, very good once you 'get into it'; it copes well with contrapuntal but it's rather time consuming. "Musette" is much simpler and copes with pretty well everything, it's quicker too; but it prints out too small - probably even for people with good eyesight.

if there was a way to magnify the score with Musette it would be superb.

Luciano Pavarotti

Chris Davis

Post by Chris Davis » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:04 pm

Finale Notepad does not let you change keys mid-piece. Some of their other, more full-featured products do. BUT, if you want a music notation program, you're better off to adopt musescore (which is quite good, and will continue to get better) or purchase the full version of Finale or Sibelius. I use Finale 2010, and it's not really guitar friendly out of the box.
R_Pegio wrote: but it's rather time consuming.
Not with speedy entry. Takes me about 1-2 hours input very big scores (6-7 pages). Takes much longer than that to make it look "publishable" of course.

cerusin

Post by cerusin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:33 pm

I don't know anything really about music writing software but I had a question about it. Is there a program with which you can use a midi guitar and actually play something and the program will translate what you play to printed music? :merci:

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:01 am

Cerusin:

I seem to recall that Finale (the full program) will do this - up to a point. Each string has to be assigned to a separate channel.

There are problems with this kind of input regarding tempo awareness and, especially, positioning. Utilising a keyboard it's possible to tap out a flexible beat using one previously assigned key which allows variation in the tempo and some rubato in your playing. On a guitar this is obviously not possible which means that you will have to play exactly in time unless you want to do a great deal of editing later. Spread chords will be written exactly as played unless you adjust the quantisation to account for them - very fiddly - it's better to use a giusto approach.

I have used both Sibelius and Finale (on keyboard only) previously and found Finale to be slightly the stronger candidate as it presented fewer editing jobs after the input and much greater flexibility on the individual placement of items in the layout. On the other hand, if you are untrained in graphic design/page layout/music typesetting, Sibelius does a lot more of the work for you but the result isn't what you might call "bespoke".

Particularly with regard to guitar notation the various shareware/free/open source options don't even come close yet though, given time, I suspect that they will take over. Of these Lilypond gives the more beautiful results* if aesthetic considerations are important (though I haven't tried midi input).

You'll find a great deal of information (and argument) on the forum sites for each program - your best bet is to go there and ask lots of questions first.

I should also say that, once you get used to the system, both Finale and Sibelius offer super fast input from just a qwerty keyboard ... but that's a skill to be learned in itself.

*In my opinion.

Chin chin
Mark
Last edited by Mark Clifton-Gaultier on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R_Pegio

Post by R_Pegio » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:03 pm

Thanks to all who offered help, I followed Montgomery's advice and persevered with 'Musescore' which I had already downloaded previously, but for some reason never used. It does indeed permit a change of key in mid MS, but sprinkles rest symbols rather more profusely than the original MS did. It does however have the facility to stretch the staves and increase the spacing between them - which I find most useful.

i now have my two dozen bars all nicely reprinted and much, much more legible than was the original when new - all that remains is to get busy with the Tippex and dab out the superfluous rests!

Thanks again for all the kind advice.

Luciano Pavarotti

cerusin

Post by cerusin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:11 pm

Mark,
Thanks for the info. :merci:

Return to “Composers' Workshop”