Why do you compose?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
phenix

Why do you compose?

Post by phenix » Thu May 20, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm a beginner to the CG, but still I feel a deep need to compose. Of course, up to now, there are just some spare themes. But my need to compose, I think, it comes from the fact I have a bad memory, making me very slow in learning new pieces for interpretation. As a beginner I am also slow in reading the scores, so I cannot rely on them, but the worst is to memorize what I've already read and played. It is so much easy for me, and pleasing too, to think and play and even write new themes (I cannot call them melodies yet). And in this case, my memory works a little bit better. In conclusion, I like to compose because of my memory, being to bad for interpretation. What about you?

fazley

Re: Why do you compose?

Post by fazley » Thu May 20, 2010 10:17 pm

I don't really compose, but would like to. The main reason is because it is so difficult to play pieces that are part of the CG repertoire, well.

Vito Simplicio
Composer

Post by Vito Simplicio » Fri May 21, 2010 11:51 am

Hard to explain. I just love the creative process more than working on an existing piece endlessly until I feel that I've gotten it right. It just happens for me and interestingly enough I started composing in my middle 50's.
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

programator

Post by programator » Fri May 21, 2010 6:04 pm

I compose simple music and I am glad that my friends like my music. How I create it? I don' know. Just I seat in the silence of my home, take the guitar.. I love it..

phenix

Post by phenix » Sat May 22, 2010 3:32 am

The following cote is my reply in another thread in another forum here on Delcamp. I think it discloses better my memory problems and other issues related to interpretation, which pushed me to discover composition.
I can’t memorize pieces, I can’t memorize faces either, so I think I must be memory challenged. For faces, I always remember the expression, never the face itself or its components (hair or eyes colors, etc.). As for music, I work on one piece until I get it and by that time I also got bored, than I move to the next one which automatically causes to forget the first piece. When I retry the first one, it’s as if I learn it from the beginning (or almost). But I’ve found a trick to this situation: composing. As a beginner I only have a bunch of spare themes, waiting to be put together, but my memory seems to work fine with them. And I feel like being myself when I try new themes, new melodic lines, when I develop, etc.

Besides, even if I could memorize pieces for interpretation, I never would have been able to play them in public. I block even in front of my wife… I can play without blocking only in front of my dog! Really! Fortunately she (the dog) loves classical music, she behaves like hypnotized when hearing classical music! And she forgives all my mistakes too.

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sat May 22, 2010 7:19 am

We can all relate to your performance challenges, dear phenix. I would love to hear your compositions. It sounds like you have a genuine passion.

Are you able to write them out? If so, you can freely share your scores here and maybe someone will record them for you. (I'm getting very close to being able to record and post a piece that Flameproof sent me a few months ago).

Alan

phenix

Post by phenix » Sun May 23, 2010 3:11 am

Thanks Alan, very kind of you (like always). I’m not ready yet to drop here drafts of my melodies, first because I cannot even call them "in work" - rather "in wait for work", nor "melodies", for the same reason. The material seems to be there, 80% for my first composition, but I have to bind it together, and for the moment I have not a consistent meaning for this binding. Secondly, I also have to learn to use MuseScore (which I downloaded only few days ago). But I promise I’ll post here my “op.1 in Beta version” :lol: :lol: :lol: once it is ready. Still working on the Alpha! :chaud:

Roark

Post by Roark » Sun May 23, 2010 9:24 pm

I`m very good at making "phrases".
Nice arpeggios with variety, fun time signatures and some good "riffs" if you can call it that.
The thing i find most difficult though is making a song out of it without the song being "breakable" into two parts.
I want the song to be one style.
I hope to get better by just making some simple songs, children song style, and building that up to what i actually want to make.
And why I do it, because i like the sounds i make when i am improvising, but would like it more if those improvisations would be used in a song.

guitarsteve

Post by guitarsteve » Sun May 23, 2010 10:23 pm

I think the ideal to compose is to contribute something to the musical world, especially if it has not been done before.

KeMe

Post by KeMe » Mon May 24, 2010 2:29 am

So much of what I compose is for my students. I don't have a budget, my kids don't have the money to buy books and I if I don't want to plagiarize, that means I'd better get to work and write something down for them. Sometimes, I'm trying to teach them a certain skill and I can't find anything that will do the trick.
I tell myself that some of the greatest composers of the world had the same motivation.

When I compose anything else, it's usually because I want to tell a story.

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

Rolle

Post by Rolle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:52 am

I'm very interested in composing and the main reason is because I would like to better understand the CG repertoire pieces I play.

Rohalt

Vito Simplicio
Composer

Post by Vito Simplicio » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:58 am

Interesting Rohalt. I often play other people's music to get inspiration and to open my door a little wider to creativity.

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Sean

Post by Sean » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:02 pm

I find it rather cathartic to compose, although it comes out with mixed results!

Vito Simplicio
Composer

Post by Vito Simplicio » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Indeed but you may be a little too hard on yourself in this respect, Sean, unless you are expecting to compose the ultlimate master piece.

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:48 am

Composing is the kind of work that is just fun in itself. I enjoy both the process itself and the endless tinkering with something until it sounds like something I can be happy with. Of all the artistic media I have tried over my life music composition is the one where the fullest balance of conceptual work, formal development, and both intellectual and emotional expression seem to work best. Poetry was okay but was more labor intensive as a process than I ever felt was worth pursuing continually in terms of the finished results. I abandoned visual media after my retinal detachment.

Prose is a lot of fun but I never felt that revising in itself was inherently fun without people to bounce ideas off of. When I compose music I like to bounce ideas off of friends and fellow composers or in rare cases family (my twin gave me some advice on how to revise the prelude in F sharp minor I finished this weekend). Composing is just fun to do even if I have no feedback. I think early on when you get into something you need a lot of practical advice, constructive criticism about expanding conceptual and technical tools, and a lot of affirmation about the value of the process. After a few years, though, or even early on, you can find that there's a drive to keep creating because it's fun

Roark, thematic cohesion within a modular or non-modular work often comes down to motivic development. It's a conceptually simple thing but immensely challenging in practice.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”