Why do you compose?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Sean

Re: Why do you compose?

Post by Sean » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:35 pm

Vito Simplicio wrote:Indeed but you may be a little too hard on yourself in this respect, Sean, unless you are expecting to compose the ultlimate master piece.
I just need to get into the routine of working a bit each day. But I worry about embarrassment - it took me a couple of weeks just to post the homage piece to Manuel Palau - it's tough to publicly air out pieces!

Vito Simplicio
Composer

Post by Vito Simplicio » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:46 pm

Exactly my same sentiment, WenatcheeTheHatchet.
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Nacio de Falla

Post by Nacio de Falla » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:22 pm

in all honesty............

i just can't seem to help myself. :|

Gruupi

Post by Gruupi » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:27 pm

I don't know how many other people got into writing music in similar circumstances to mine but I bet it is common. I played in cover bands for years and also just jammed with people whenever I got the chance. I really liked the jams where we wouldn't play songs and would just improvise. At some point if you jam with some good musicians, then certain themes and motifs just start to come out and you remember them the next time you jam. I started liking these themes as much as some of my favorite songs to play and at some point started developing and arranging these ideas.

I didn't intentionally set out to be a composer and still don't call myself one. I am not trying to reinvent music but my pieces draw on all my musical experiences and give me personal satisfaction. It's fun for me to play my own pieces as I try to write things that fit under my fingers well, most of the ideas come from improvisations rather than any technical work. There is always self doubt, whether in playing or composing, but there is also great satisfaction. I really feel good when I play one of my pieces well in front of an audience, there is a sense of accomplishment that surpasses even playing more difficult works by others.

Vito Simplicio
Composer

Post by Vito Simplicio » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:59 pm

My situation is similar to yours, Gruupi, with the exception that I didn't play in a cover band. My music have all come from improvising by myself and led to creating themes that I further developed.
Gruupi wrote:I really feel good when I play one of my pieces well in front of an audience, there is a sense of accomplishment that surpasses even playing more difficult works by others.
I feel the same way except that I have played for very few audiences. Hmmmm ...... maybe I need to do something about that.

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

dogonjon

Post by dogonjon » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:54 pm

I prefer composing to the alternative, decomposing! :D

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:15 pm

Its just part of musicianship in the complete sense really......As a matter of fact; composing & arranging is musicianship applied in writing :casque:

Leitmotiv

Post by Leitmotiv » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:42 pm

Saint-Saens, the french composer, went on producing music (in his own words) 'as an apple-tree produces apples'.

Leitmotiv
"...the wonderful ease of masters" - Albert Camus

Viking800

Post by Viking800 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:02 pm

Music is elemental; it descends from the sky, rises from the earth & blows with the wind. It is my way of communing with Gaia :)

Ole Thofte

Post by Ole Thofte » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:31 am

As new to composing I have reflected on the why? When my boy was around 10 he composed quite a lot using the piano. And I didn't understand how he could; it's was completely autodidact. What motivated him? At that time I was engaged in creative hobbies like loudspeakerconstrution, knifesmithing and kayakbuilding. I realise now that I could have been an inspiration of sorts for him - and he was meeting me through his creative efforts and also experiencing some of the same creative rushes I had. I have now given up the other hobbies, living in an appartment is not too practical when you have a fire going for glowing a piece of metal. But my wonder about my son 17 years ago has returned and I guess I'm trying to meet him on the composition side. And I've found that the creative fun is the same when you fiddle with say loudspeakers and with notes in a score. An important part is the forgetting of all other worries because there is a focus in the creative problem at hand this moment. That's important to me: it's the feel of selfforgettting motivation when you're hunting a solution and also forget the world around you because of that hunt. After a while you land and do your daily stuff, but there were a couple of hours of something quite different, intoxicating. Maybe it's some legacy from the stoneage? Perhaps the present composition isn't that great, but the creative concentration is and you never know what your next try will bring :-)

Ole

Sobers

Post by Sobers » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:32 am

Why do you compose?

Hmmmmmmmmm.................

I don't know really. I don't have any ambition of any sort. Nor do I have some extra time to spare.
I do it because ideas keep coming, it's like ........ When Nature Calls ..... I mean ..... a call of nature.

This ..... to me is by far the most difficult question asked by anyone.

Why do we get involved in Art anyway?

Sobers

Vito Simplicio
Composer

Post by Vito Simplicio » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:51 am

I guess an innate need to create?

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

GuitarRe

Post by GuitarRe » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Good question!
When I composed the first time , I was about Seven Years old, it had just the One reason, that I wanted to and felt I can do it. I remember that I was rather able to Write the lyrics. But it was a great thing for me.
Now decades later, there is above that wish just to express a Feeling or just to Note a melody the need to find a Piece for a student, where he can practice for example a special chord-combination, a scale, or whatever, that would be good for him. But at the same time it must really find my interest. Then there come more thoughts before I really start with it. The style, the mood, the complexity, or just guitar-technical thoughts, like I Need a Piece in Third fret position in D-Minor. This is how it was the last years.
GuitarRe

fauxEspanol

Post by fauxEspanol » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:53 pm

I never really endeavored to "practice" to play a musical instrument, but only played up until this day. Composing in the same sense a writer (Ray Bradbury for instance) may decide to "write" as an occupational task, is something I am incapable of doing. Like the sun/SOL having an extreme incidence of solar flare-up, I've had two 6month long waves of creative output as a composer, Fall/Winter 1980 and Spring/Summer 2008. Otherwise I play guitar and piano without being compelled to compose music, which I find much more relaxing and good for technical recording upgrade and editing of existing composition works. I am inspired by the other posts in this thread to relax and play guitar as this is what it is all about for me, the warmth and companionship of D' object guittara. :) http://www2.tau.ac.il/InternetFiles/Seg ... -gitar.pdf

Per Lindhof

Post by Per Lindhof » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:36 pm

I ran out of pieces ;-) The repertoire for CG isn't so big, and I really like the direct "spanish" style of the CG with a clear melody line and a variation of major and minor in its compositions.
I couldn't find much of it, so I started to write my own pieces.

Two examples:

"A little spanish dance"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlGcA3U8 ... er&list=UL

"Tango"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwkWIezo ... er&list=UL

I'm not going to change the world but I really like to refine what's already there and get into the roots of our music.

I see it a little as being a painter too. Would I try to paint Mona Lsa again or would I make my own paintings? Definitely the latter.

Kind regards
Per Lindhof
Denmark

Return to “Composers' Workshop”