Why do you compose?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
danielryan

Re: Why do you compose?

Post by danielryan » Mon May 07, 2012 5:06 am

I think this question pretty much answers itself.

Why do I compose? Because I do.
I compose because I have ideas, and because I want to compose.

dogonjon

Post by dogonjon » Sun May 13, 2012 3:21 am

Since this is my 666th post I will answer this question by saying again...IT BEATS DECOMPOSING!

Rich

Post by Rich » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:22 pm

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would post a reply rather than start a new thread. This is a question I am reckoning with right now. I have always had an innate drive to create. I don't know that it is as much about expressing myself as it is the love of order at a deeper level than immediate perception. I love tonality because it is a system that seems to be organized on such a level. I don't necessarily mean tonality as limited to common practice but tonality as an extension of common practice perhaps. I can conceive something musical at will for the most part. Not necessarily something good or inspired, but something that sounds musical. But I don't have any deeper reason for doing so other than that drive to create order where none existed before and the need to access some deeper logic. I hope this makes some sense and i am genuinely interested in what drives others to compose.

Gene

Post by Gene » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:17 am

I compose because I can think and fell with instruments. I also like philosophy which music was back in the day, they say J S Bach is a secret code! Also,I have ideas and music is easy and light a vibration. And by the way I claim to be able to teach musical memory, which is of the highest importants. Perhaps if you record yourself and use a transcribing software to write for you? Otherwise how can you remember what you play?
I compose to discover, I believe there are vast unexplored areas in all music, of course the guitar is an all in one traveling have it all.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:12 pm

Sometimes I composed out of an urge to have a broader range of pieces for my guitar trio...
But I mostly composed because I wanted to create something unique I would like to play myself. The great thing is some people did want to play some of my works too...
Some works (including Bewetiching Eyes of which I put a recording where it belongs)are published by Delcamp.org Publications. And yes, it gives some pride and is good for self esteem I guess. It is some king of legacy, something meaning you once existed :D

Gene

Post by Gene » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:33 pm

Composing also helps you play better, this is summed up by the old saying between two performers one could sight read and the other could sight read as if he wrote it.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”