Notation Software? Which is most user-friendly?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
GuyMichetti

Finale

Post by GuyMichetti » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:48 pm

I just got FINALE. Looks great! I've used Guitar Pro as well and I think it is very good.

johnakline

Post by johnakline » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:11 am

My vote goes for Sibelius - but as was mentioned - it isn't free or close to free.

bassinjasson

Post by bassinjasson » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:15 am

Powertab if you are poor. I recomend Finale.

Little side note, Powertab has an archive where you can get some music and submit music. If you wanted to know. Only problem is the Tabs :?

pacifica

Post by pacifica » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:34 am

I agree that guitar pro is definately user friendly - good for quick notation in TAB. I use it in combination with Finale 2006 by exporting the file as a midi file from guitar pro if I want to put my music into a really good score format. The score function on Guitar pro has limited functionality.

olenaval

Thanks.

Post by olenaval » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:25 am

Thanks, masoroso, gizmo64, Nartak, Juan, and Guitar Slim. Your comments and recommendations are taken seriously and well appreciated. Now, I will check the software I haven't checked: Guitar Pro, Powertab, and Sibelius.

In fairness to Lilypond, it is a great exercise in concentration, editing, counting, and for me, sight reading and fingering assignments. It looks great, too, when printed out. Alas, it is tedious!

CurbowPete

Post by CurbowPete » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:29 am

I use Finale 2004 quite a bit. It has its flaws but gets the job done for the most part. Finale and Sibelius are the most popular among professional composers so that has to mean something

-Pete

olenaval

Post by olenaval » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:34 am

Hav, GuyMichetti, johnakline, bassinjason and pacifica. Thank you, too. I am sorry I missed out on you earlier, hav. I missed typing your name in. Kinda like what happens when I use Lilypond.

I don't particularly like tabs, because I really never learned it. The music score in the classical sense is what I am after... and definitely how it looks in print. I want to digitize my ratty music sheets, some of them handwritten, even.

Thanks again guys, I am currently downloading the demos I can get.

TedtheBear

Post by TedtheBear » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:36 pm

Guitar Slim wrote:Off topic, I know, but I downloaded Powertab a while ago, and couldn't figure out how to do some real basic things. Do any of you Powertab users know how to:

Insert notes directly on the staff, instead of using the tab numbers?

Use two different durations simultaneously -- for example, 8th notes (melody) over half notes (bass)?
Thought I'd bring this one back up. I'm also trying to figure it out. Can anyone provide an answer?

arby

Post by arby » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:31 pm

I haven't used Powertab in ages, I use Tabledit now.
From what I recall typing the letter "u" toggles between low and high melody.
Low and high melody can have different durations. There is also a button on the lower left side of the screen to do the same thing.
I believe notes can only be entered as tab.

Guitar Slim

Post by Guitar Slim » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:52 pm

arby wrote:I haven't used Powertab in ages, I use Tabledit now.
Low and high melody can have different durations. There is also a button on the lower left side of the screen to do the same thing.
That did the trick. Thanks.

TedtheBear

Post by TedtheBear » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:57 am

Guitar Slim wrote:
arby wrote:I haven't used Powertab in ages, I use Tabledit now.
That did the trick. Thanks.
Ditto!

Sanft

Re: Thanks.

Post by Sanft » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:48 am

olenaval wrote:Thanks, Sanft1. I can't seem to learn much about Capella on the web. Would you have a sheet (final print-out) or part of it, for something you've done on it? I hope it's not too much to ask, but I am now curious to know how the final music sheet will look. Also, would you know if it can be used on MacOS X?
Here's the link:
http://www.capella.de/download_capella.htm
You can download a free demo-version for evaluation, it works on Windows, Linux, MacOs etc and is much, much cheaper tha f.e. Sibelius! I use it since nearly 10 years now. If you send me your e-mail I could send a sample!
Clemens … el niño que soñó la musica :fume:
"...si nos quedáramos cuarenta y ocho horas seguidas sin música, habria una catástrofe mundial." Leo Brouwer
7stringed Matthias Dammann 1997; 9stringed Neuner&Hornsteiner ~ 1880
7stringed 1829 Staufer/Legnani replica by F. P. Dietrich 2007

olenaval

Thanks for your comment!

Post by olenaval » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:51 am

Thanks, guys for all your comments. By the looks of it, so far, Sibelius looks a tad better than Finale... but I am judging based on cover at this point. Power Tab is okay but somehow does not cut it, for me. I may be wrong and have not yet given up on it... Thanks for the advice!

Ole

ttguitarstrings

Post by ttguitarstrings » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:02 am

I am trying Overture right now as it was included with Garritan Personal Orchestra. But I must say that I have always liked Noteworthy Composer. The reason I like it is because doing a song is almost like typing something out in a word processor. You can really lay down a lot of notes fast. Very little need for the mouse, of which I am finding Overture to be lacking.

Ken Thompson

Post by Ken Thompson » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:02 am

I have no idea how much music education you have, but if you're trying to do different durations it sounds like you need to do voices. Think of 4-part harmony, and then transfer it to sheet music. It's like counterpoint, or the Bach intervals. The melody should be one voice, then the bass line should be another, and the middle notes are another voice. Since chords are actually written from the bass note then upwards, you should put the bass line as the 1st voice, middle notes as 2nd voice, and melody as 3rd voice. I'm working on a tremolo piece where the 128th notes are the 3rd voice.

I've got Finale 2004 and it allows 4 voices. On the screen they're in different colors which helps my poor eyesight a lot. It would probably print in color too but I use a laserjet. It really prints out crisp on the laserjet.
I tried using Lilypond but just couldn't figure it out. And NotePad was very limited and would only do very simple scores. Finale lets you change key and time signature and change numbers of measures and all kinds of good stuff.

I think I already said this before, but here's a tip. At Office Depot you can get 32 lb. paper which is stiffer than usual. I always had trouble with the 20 lb paper blowing off my music stand, or tearing, or whatever, but the 32 lb stays put and lasts longer.

Ken Thompson
1970 R3 Ramirez

Return to “Composers' Workshop”