Start making CG arrangements

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
alberto

Start making CG arrangements

Post by alberto » Tue May 03, 2011 12:31 am

I am interested to start to make some CG arrangements. I would like to hear from some more experienced musicians some ideal learning workflow for building since simple to more advanced CG arrangements. I known that many arangements are made using piano sheet music as a base for CG arrangements. What would be the main concern to bring the piano arrangement to CG arrangements. Some advising, tips, examples and written references would be great.

Many thanks.

KeMe

Re: Start making CG arrangments

Post by KeMe » Tue May 03, 2011 12:58 am

The problem that I've come across in arranging from piano music has been that the fingering on the guitar can sometimes be awkward. It does offer a springboard for ideas, though.
Arranging for quartets from piano music can be very complicated at times, especially when you are putting your arrangement into one of the notation programs on the computer.

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

Caesar

Post by Caesar » Tue May 03, 2011 7:43 am

Thanks alberto for the topic!
I have tried to do arrangements too, but you know, knowing very little about the theory mad me stop!
I hope more experienced people can help us here!

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Tue May 03, 2011 8:12 am

Hi alberto!

My two cents for this topic:
"Soundboard", the GFA magazine, has published a series by Richard Yates, and
selected articles of this series from 1996 to 2006 have been published 2009 in a book:
The Transcriber's Art (Richard Yates), ISBN 978-078668029-0.

A must-read for any serious transcriber.

Bernhard

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue May 03, 2011 8:37 am

The biggest problem with arranging piano music is usually how to simplify the music without losing it's character. The piano has a larger span in octaves than the guitar and the player has more fingers available to make chords. The arranger therefore has to work out how to put the melody and accompaniment together (or the separate voices if it's polyphonic music) in a way that works on the guitar - this often includes changing the key.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Les Backshall
Luthier

Re: Start making CG arrangements

Post by Les Backshall » Tue May 03, 2011 11:25 am

I normally do arrangements for two to four guitars, but the method is usually the same and works OK for me. May be a bit clunky for others, though.
Anyway, here are the first few bars of Schindler's List, which I'm currently working on; I'll probably end up doing a solo and duet version.

(Note to mods - I'm sure this qualifies as fair use.)

1. Get the piano score into the computer (I use Noteworthy Composer)
schindler-01.jpg
2. Put into the treble clef
schindler-02.jpg
3. Experiment to find a suitable key
schindler-03.jpg
4. See what works on the guitar and decide what to leave in and what to leave out (that's the tricky bit). Currently, it's a bit 'full' but perfectly playable - as the piece progresses it might be necessary to simplify it a bit to retain the overall characer of the piece.
schindler-04.jpg
Of course, there's actually quite a lot more to it, as Pogmoor has indicated, but these are essentially the steps I use. Hope it's of some help.

Les
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

alberto

Post by alberto » Thu May 05, 2011 2:31 am

heimannb4 wrote:Hi alberto!

My two cents for this topic:
"Soundboard", the GFA magazine, has published a series by Richard Yates, and
selected articles of this series from 1996 to 2006 have been published 2009 in a book:
The Transcriber's Art (Richard Yates), ISBN 978-078668029-0.

A must-read for any serious transcriber.

Bernhard
Thanks Bernhard. I will try to get this book.

alberto

Post by alberto » Thu May 05, 2011 2:38 am

Dear Les Backshall,

Your coments was very good. I have learned good things about them. I would like to get more comments like that, from you and other people in the forum.

Thank you.

19thcenturyguitarist

Post by 19thcenturyguitarist » Fri May 06, 2011 7:11 am

pogmoor wrote:The biggest problem with arranging piano music is usually how to simplify the music without losing it's character. The piano has a larger span in octaves than the guitar and the player has more fingers available to make chords. The arranger therefore has to work out how to put the melody and accompaniment together (or the separate voices if it's polyphonic music) in a way that works on the guitar - this often includes changing the key.
I recently transcribed Gershwin's Prelude No. 2 from piano to guitar.
It was in C# and I raised it up a half step do a well adaptable and playable key, D.
But is Gershwin allowed to be posted on this forum? I haven't seen his music on here yet and I am guessing that is because its not old enough yet, because it cant be from a lack of fans :)

alberto

Post by alberto » Tue May 10, 2011 10:04 pm

I do not known if this prelude has copyright, but if not, I would like to see your transcription.

Best wishes

nickdavis82

Post by nickdavis82 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:50 pm

Thank you all for posting information on composing CG arrangements of song and thank you Alberto for asking in the first place. I found this information to be very helpful. :merci:

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:37 pm

19thcenturyguitarist wrote: But is Gershwin allowed to be posted on this forum? I haven't seen his music on here yet and I am guessing that is because its not old enough yet, because it cant be from a lack of fans :)
Gershwin died in 1937, he's surely out of copyright by now at least according to european law. I've made a rather basic arrangement of Summertime that don't like enough to post here. I have the Duarte arrangements and keep intending to learn them but they seem too hard, and they wouldn't be allowed in this forum as Duarte is fairly recent.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:56 pm

I did post the Summertime arrangement and was informed that because of some copyright extension in US law, Gershwin is still under copyright. It might be worth someone who understands US law explaining to the rest of us exactly how and when copyright expires in that country.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Vlad Kosulin

Post by Vlad Kosulin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Arranging for the guitar by Ivor Mairants (Hansen House/Silhouette, 1976) is dealing with piano/voice -> solo guitar transcriptions.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)

Nick Payne
Amateur luthier

Post by Nick Payne » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:13 am

sxedio wrote:I did post the Summertime arrangement and was informed that because of some copyright extension in US law, Gershwin is still under copyright.
IMSLP have quite a number of Gershwin works available on some of their servers, so they obviously consider those works public domain in some countries. They also have an explanation of copyright in different countries: http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Copyright_Made_Simple

Return to “Composers' Workshop”