Music for Shakespears Twelfth Night

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
dogonjon

Music for Shakespears Twelfth Night

Post by dogonjon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:41 am

I've been retained to compose music for our local theater group. The Twelfth Night has five songs incorporated into the script. I'm a firm believer in liberal adaptation but I wonder how adaptation is viewed legally. It seems to me the lyrics have a flow to them and many varied composers would treat the music in a similar manner with small adaptations. I found that after I made my first draft of the last song it was almost identical to the version Ben Kingsley sang in the movie. Does this make me a bad person?

dogonjon

Re: Music for Shakespears Twelfth Night

Post by dogonjon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Our first rehearsal of the music went well. I used Musescore to write the manuscript, recorded the midi playback on my multi track, overlaid the guitar and vocals and e-mailed the whole batch to the director to review and distribute to the actors. The cast thinks I should copy write the music. I want to create a CD to either sell, or have available for download on my Audimated site.

dogonjon

Post by dogonjon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:13 pm

This set has become very sucessful as pre-ceremony music for Weddings for me this year. Combined with my "Merry Wives of Windsor" medley Canarios, Saltarello, Bianco Fiore, Musette and Greensleves/ When Night Dogs Run this makes a perfect lead in to a Wedding Ceremony. The Mendelssohn Wedding March "Hochzeitmarsh" is from "A Mid Summer Nights Dream" so the Shakespear theme for my wedding program is very tidy.

dogonjon

Post by dogonjon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:50 am

As a compositional exercise I wonder if anyone would like to write an accompaniment to the these lyrics to see if the melodic contour and rhythmic flow of the lyrics dictates the accompaniment as I theorize.

When I was but a little tiny boy with a Hey Ho Wind and the Rain...
A foolish thing it was but a toy and the Rain it Raineth Every Day...

When I came to Mans' Estate with a Hey Ho Wind and the Rain...
Against Naives and Thieves the men shut the gate and the Rain it Raineth Every Day...

When I came alas to Wife with a Hey Ho wind and the Rain...
By swaggering I never could strive and the Rain It Raineth Every Day...

When I came unto my bed with a Hey Ho Wind and the Rain...
With the toss pots full still had drunken heads and the Rain It Raineth Every Day...

A long while ago the world began with a Hey Ho Wind and the Rain...
Well that's all one our play here is done and we Strive to Please You Every day.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”