What kind of music do you compose?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
leedjarv

What kind of music do you compose?

Post by leedjarv » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:12 pm

The question is simple: what styles or genres of music do you compose?
I've composed only 2 pieces, but I think that I tend to like romantic music with beautiful melodies and harmonic progressions.

Erik

guitarlojak

Re: What kind of music do you compose?

Post by guitarlojak » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:27 pm

I think at the end a composer of modern times must compose modern pieces
and something new - not these style copies. My opinion.

All in all, I compose polystylistic - atonal, with influences of dokephony, Jazz, classical forms.
But depends on the kind of composition I make.

PL

danielryan

Post by danielryan » Mon May 07, 2012 5:03 am

I've had trouble finding endings to some of my works, but of works that I've finished or nearly finished, I'd say that I compose across the board of styles. I've done the guitar parts to a few progressive hardcore punk, blackened hardcore, and doom-influenced hardcore songs, but I would probably put those aside from my other writings, as I would never feel right having them performed with my other works. Aside from those, I've done things that are somewhat similar to those of the American Primitive folk movement, combining traits of Indian classical, drone and minimalism, Celtic, Flamenco, atonal, and solo folk guitar melodies and fingerstyle technique.
As far as compositions for other instruments go, I've been working on developing my style, though it seems to be developing in the direction of more experimental, generative classical.

kamalayka

Post by kamalayka » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:18 pm

leedjarv

Post by leedjarv » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:08 am

Nice! :D

goldenmaster

Post by goldenmaster » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:05 pm

I compose a lot of ambient drone, techno, and experimental... electronic music. I still haven't spent much time composing on classical guitar, though sometimes I play some music on electric guitar, with a slide, and lots of effects and electronic sounds. I want to compose for classical at some point but I am still working on my improv skills and harmony knowledge, both things I feel like I need to be better at before I can really write guitar music I like.

Toccata

Post by Toccata » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:21 pm

I tend to write rather thorny, virtuosic atonal (but not 12-tone) music. Here's an excerpt from my Chaconne:

(tempo: 1/4 note =66)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mason Razavi

Post by Mason Razavi » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:41 pm

The good kind - well, most of the time. :D

rudelguitar

Post by rudelguitar » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:29 pm

I think we are living in a great time for composing music. I feel anyone is allowed to write any way they want to. My music is always tonal - but sometimes dark in nature. I tend to write in a free contrapuntal style - sometimes reminiscent of other eras. (You can hear the suite I wrote for my daughter's wedding at www.rubendelgadoguitar.com) I think any time period style is fair game for me to write in. For instance, I write some pieces as the lutenists wrote in the Renaissance. I write a theme and vary that theme throughout the piece. I just find some pieces lend themselves to that. Sometimes I blend romantic style with other styles. I often incorporate Latin elements into my music. If it works, I'll do it. Composing is self expression, and my self expression is the result of what I have been exposed to during my lifetime (I am biased toward tonal music).

One of my major goals in composition is to contribute to the development of a new tonal genre of music called American classical guitar. I feel America needs a classical guitar style that has an American signature, just like Spanish, French, German and Italian music. I feel we discount many of the stylistic sounds of American music because they are so common to us in America. We may not realize that people of other countries would like to hear these stylistic sounds in our music. When the average American hears a guitarist strum the E chord up a fret and then resolve it back down to the E, chills go up their spine because it sounds so foreign and "Spanish." It takes them "away" for a while. However, if you go to Spain an play that E chord the same way, the Spanish would probably roll their eyes thinking, "big deal." Well, our American music has those stylistic things that would sound foreign to those of other countries and those listeners would probably enjoy them as fresh, foreign sounds. Identifying those stylistic aspects of our music is up to the individual composer. An American style might utilize elements of folk, jazz, rock, etc. This is already happening is many compositions I hear. Andrew York is one example.

I would also expect a tonal American music would include elements from other countries that have been Americanized. America is unique in its diverse culture. We have integrated and Americanized many elements of other cultures and we have Americanized many musical elements from those cultures. Cajun music, Bossa Nova, Salsa and many different Latin styles have found their way into our lives. I believe all these styles could be integrated into an American music genre. This opens the door wide to many opportunities for composers who are willing to write without fear of criticism.

I also feel is that it's ok to be commercial in composing for the guitar. I always write with the idea that my music could be picked up and used as part of some kind of media. I know many people are shy about this and feel they should write for the sole purpose of creating art, but look at creators of other types of art. Writers (of prose) write to get published and make money off of their stories. They are not shy about this and they don't water down their writing in their effort to gain from their art. The same goes for poets, painters, sculptors and dancers. I personally would love for my pieces to make money. I work very hard on them and would like to benefit from them. I feel it would be a measure of their quality.

Another compositional goal of mine is to make my music accessible to a good majority of guitarists. I sometimes see people trying to write difficult pieces as if that is what defines them as high quality. I don't agree with that. I would never want to write a piece that only a couple hundred people in the world would be able to play. I want many people to play my music. Most of my music is at the level of the 20 studies by Fernando Sor. Some of my pieces are quite a bit easier than that. That's just the way they come out. I don't think anyone needs to apologize for the playing level of their works. I think it's the quality that matters.

Well, sorry for the long post. I'm afraid I branched out on a few different topics. If anyone would like to start a new topic based on any of the ideas I have included here, I would like to participate.
May music be with you, Rudel

Oliver Newman

Post by Oliver Newman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:16 pm

In terms of guitar, not much. I just finished a short piece a couple of months ago (which can be found here), which is tonal (in the sense that it is centred on E), not too dissonant, and fairly straightforward. The guitar piece I am currently working on is incorporating elements of the New Complexity style (though it won't comprise entirely of such material).

In my other works, my influences venture from composers such as Brian Ferneyhough and Elliott Carter to Howard Skempton and Kevin Volans.

paulbhorn3

Post by paulbhorn3 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:38 pm

I would say my compositions are more modern, American style, contemporary. I'd like to make my bass lines more interesting as well as adding in 2nd and 3rd voices. Melody lines are extremely easy for me, accompaniment seems to be where I get hung up. Example:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYwT5I8 ... VYEYGyCZ6w

Paul

Gene

Post by Gene » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:54 pm

I heard Segovia say that Debussy praised the guitar for its song making . I am doing that, something off of a cantata .

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:27 pm

As a composer, I have not a kind of favorite music. The music comes to me sweetly, and i write it as I get. :D
Regards

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:45 am

I compose on order, generally, and I steal almost everything, at least the essence of the feeling that I might need at the moment. I steal mostly from folk musics such as flamenco, choros, frevos, and the like. I've made a couple of CDs of compositions played on several guitars, overdubbed, nylon and steel; woodwinds, overdubbed and percussion. Like a folk orchestra from Chile or a Gypsy ensemble. My compositions are actually finished in the recording process, as changes come about from seeking a better result.

Beats the hell of of working for a living.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Composers' Workshop”