Advice on the correct way to notate something please!

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
aatz1982

Advice on the correct way to notate something please!

Post by aatz1982 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:54 pm

I'm trying to transcribe a piece with three voices onto one staff. If two of the voices cross and are in effect the same note for one beat, is it necessary to add a rest? Also if voice 2 re-plays a note voice 1 is already holding (passing it in a run) is it necessary to indicate that with rests and ties or something in the notation? I should mention that the notes will be on the same instrument. I am attempting to attach an example of what I'm probably failing to describe, any help would be great, thanks Robin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mainterm

Re: Advice on the correct way to notate something please!

Post by mainterm » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:19 am

From the example you've provided, I would align the b with d on beat one. Stems up on the middle voice (scoot the f over on beat one to separate). beam the sixteenths on the quarter. that's my take.

aatz1982

Post by aatz1982 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 am

Thanks for the reply! have tidied it up a bit so the stems don't overlap. After thinking about it the example wasn't very good and I probably didn't make sense. Thanks for taking the time though. I found someone who knows more about notation than me and they tell me you only really need a rest in a stave if there is a break in a voice and you need to know where it resumes or when there is nothing going on, not when voices fall on the same note

Mason Razavi

Post by Mason Razavi » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:32 pm

If both voices come together in unison, you would indicate that with both a stem up and a stem down.

Your example is tricky. I would probably beam all of the 16ths together and go stems up, which would place the half note just to the left of all the beamed notes. That woud be pretty clean.

aatz1982

Post by aatz1982 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:35 am

Thanks, I tried doing it like this* but ended up doing something more obscure as it was difficult to get lilypond, which I was using without much experience (which it seems you need!) to combine the beams, and do tab. Thank you for your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Les Backshall
Luthier

Post by Les Backshall » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:51 am

Tied notes can be difficult to read, so I would tend to do it like this; the programme is Musescore.
notation-01.JPG
Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

Leonie Kaye

Post by Leonie Kaye » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:20 am

Les Your notation is very easy to read. I also use music score and find it very good.

Happy Playing Lee

Return to “Composers' Workshop”