What's the Best Software for Score Writing?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
fabulousray

Post by fabulousray » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:01 am

Finale is great once you can understand it ( I took two classes of it in college). Sibelius is more intuitive and user friendly however and still as good if not better than Finale. I studied this stuff in school, so you may find something even better and easier for guitar.

llamanna

Post by llamanna » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:42 am

It seems every time I learn a program, I get all excited as to what it could do. Until I find out what it can't do.

Cake is great for keyboards I think (I'm not a keboard player)

Guitar Pro is good ( I am a guitarist), but it lacks a third voice which is common in CG, it doesn't use the 'standard' identification of right hand fingering (I'm speaking classical here), doesn't display all tied notes when they are in unison plus other issues I have with it. In all, it's good, probably pushing very good and I use it a lot!

I know there is software out there that will scan notation and automatically load it into the program. This is way exciting if you notate as much music as I do. I have some new stuff I just bought but I can't run it until I upgrade my PC. Hopefully, more issues will be dealt with with the new software.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”