Guitar and electronica - know any pieces?

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
GoldbergVariation

Re: Guitar and electronica - know any pieces?

Post by GoldbergVariation » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:16 pm

Off the top of my head: I would give a listen to Mike Oldfield's album "Guitars," Jeff Beck's albums from the last decade or so, and Squarepusher (virtuoso brilliant acoustic/electric bass and guitar with mind bending electronica in the acid, drum and bass, and house genres).

If you're interested, feel free to PM me to chat...I have a decade of experience with the genre and use NI products for most of the work I do. Merging the guitar with synthesis is where I've been trying to go, so perhaps there are things we could talk about.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi GoldbergVariation. Are you into midi guitar? Maybe we should create a midi guitar special interest group within delcamp :) .
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

GoldbergVariation

Post by GoldbergVariation » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:47 am

Sxedio, I haven't explored MIDI guitar much but I have wanted a SynthAxe for ages. After seeing Allan Holdsworth play his, I have always thought it would be a trip to split the signals to route the bass "strings" to an OBX, for instance, and a Prophet 5 or DX7 for the treble "strings."

Have you tired any of the Godin electric-acoustic MIDI guitars or the Moog guitar they brought out a couple years back? Both seem very interesting!

Osejavin

Post by Osejavin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:12 am

Hey, guys, are you familiar with Adrian Belew's recent work with his Parker Fly MIDI guitar? Interesting stuff.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:27 pm

GoldbergVariation wrote:Sxedio, I haven't explored MIDI guitar much but I have wanted a SynthAxe for ages. After seeing Allan Holdsworth play his, I have always thought it would be a trip to split the signals to route the bass "strings" to an OBX, for instance, and a Prophet 5 or DX7 for the treble "strings."

Have you tired any of the Godin electric-acoustic MIDI guitars or the Moog guitar they brought out a couple years back? Both seem very interesting!
Sorry for hijacking the original thread in that case, I thought that was your approach of merging guitar and synthesis. Most midi guitar systems, (including my poor man's YouRock guitar controller) allow a midi channel per string which then allows you to configure different sounds or even different synths for different strings. I've experimented a bit with this kind of thing using my controller and Ableton live. Synthesis via modelling is an alternative to midi, roland has some impressive products and both Korg and Zoom include some basic synth functionality in their guitar modelling products. A VG 99 with a godin multiac has been on my wishlist for the last decade but I can't justify the expense.

Thanks for bringing Allan Holdsworth to my attention, I'm checking him up on Youtube!
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Guitarron

Post by Guitarron » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:20 am

Tenso by Rogelio Sosa, for amplified guitar and tape.
SInapsis by Rodrigo Sigal "This piece aims to generate a real time process that generates musical ideas and at the same time integrates them into a pre‐structured sound world. Sinapsis requires a very attentive and creative performer who is willing to react and create at the same time." There is a Pablo Garibay's video on yt playing this.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”