Simple Composition

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
bcross3

Simple Composition

Post by bcross3 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:37 am

Attached here is a small arpeggio piece I came up with. It is by no means complicated, I have very little experience with composition. I'm currently in Composition 1 in my undergraduate program. Any feedback will help :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: Simple Composition

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:58 am

I like this very much! :D

I feel that a piece of music, like a novel, should start with a good sentence. One that grabs you. Your's starts out really nicely!

It's easy to play and quite pretty. That's the next thing we always look for.

It's also nice when voices descend (or ascend) one after another. I love that! :D

The only suggestion I might have, is that it could get a bit monotonous. It might work better in 3/4 time, so there are less triplet patterns? I'll try it that way later...

Good work so far, :okok:

Alan

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:23 am

Ok. I just played it both ways for my girlfriend. She's not a musician, but she's the best listener ever. :casque:

She much preferred the 3/4 version. She felt that it moves along better. Try it yourself and see what you think!

We also agreed that the ending sounds a bit like a question mark. Is that what you had in mind? We like it!

Alan

bcross3

Post by bcross3 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:47 am

Thank you so much for the encouraging comments! I was realizing the same thing about the monotony of playing each figure 4 times, I thought about doing it in 2 or 3 but I didn't update my score. Glad to hear you guys like it in 3 the most though!

The major 7th chord in the ending doesn't serve as the strongest of endings but it did fulfill what I was going for. Once I start to think about it the ending does sound kind of questioning, I would like to either add on to it or come up with another piece that serves as a complimentary work.

:merci:

Return to “Composers' Workshop”