Notating Harmonics

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
snyprrr

Notating Harmonics

Post by snyprrr » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:40 pm

I've been having a bit of it with notating harmonics. Currently, I'm only using natural harmonics, but, mostly the ones between the 2nd and the 4th frets.

This is how I'm currently notating. Let's take the high 'E' harmonic on the 1st string/5th fret. I use a diamond shape, put a little circle on top, and then write "harm. nat.", pr "hr. nt.",... or,... or,... what DO I write?

musikai

Re: Notating Harmonics

Post by musikai » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:15 pm

harm. nat. looks very clear!

There's is an article by Douglas Niedt on his website. Look into this thread for how to find it:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67705

Then again you have the choice because the notation of harmonics on the guitar was done in so many different ways.
Free Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

snyprrr

Re: Notating Harmonics

Post by snyprrr » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:45 am

musikai wrote:harm. nat. looks very clear!

There's is an article by Douglas Niedt on his website. Look into this thread for how to find it:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67705

Then again you have the choice because the notation of harmonics on the guitar was done in so many different ways.
I checked it out. Very helpful for me, but, oh my, it seems every Composer has their own way. I'm really not a fan of the minimalist approach. I like the diamonds with the bells and whistles.

I have a question: the little circles that we use for natural harmonic, they are also used for open strings. Do people really need the circles for open notes? I've got some gnarly chords, but you can pretty well see when there is a 'B' ,'D', or 'G' in it that it might be open. I does seem like a case by case thing. I do tend to like to overuse symbols, but...

Second question: As long as the Composer makes sure to include all pertinent instructions in the forward, all should be clear, no? No matter what 'system'...

With the piece I'm working on, clarity is king.

So, are there 'Editions' of these CG classics, where the wayward notating styles have been standardized?

Return to “Composers' Workshop”