Looking for a publisher

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Frank Nordberg

Looking for a publisher

Post by Frank Nordberg » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:28 pm

I'm not too happy with my current publisher. They're nice people and all that but a bit old fashioned when it comes to digital media and they offer very little international distribution.

I was planning to start publishing my works myself but perhaps I should look at the alternatives first?

What I really need is somebody who:
1 ) Is nice and easy to work with
2 ) Pays their composers and authors reasonably well (obviously :wink: )
3 ) Has good distribution systems both for digital and printed editions
4 ) Is big on classical guitar music but doesn't focus exculsively on that field
5 ) Is big on educational music but doesn't focus exculsively on that field
6 ) Is interested in publishing both editions and transcriptions of old works and new compositions
7 ) Would also be interested in publishing new (probably facsimile) editions on books about music, not just sheet music
8 ) Has working systems efficient enough to deal with even small niche markets effectively

Any recommendations?

Daan Hoeksema

Re: Looking for a publisher

Post by Daan Hoeksema » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:24 pm

Call Per Olov, and ask how he is doing it.

http://www.per-olovkindgren.com/
Het veulen dat haar moeder naar de slacht zag gaan. "Hou je taai mam".

Frank Nordberg

Post by Frank Nordberg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks for the link, Daan! :)

Regardless of my question, learning about Per-Olov Kindgren was most interesting. Unfortunately there isn't nearly as much contact between the guitar communities in the Scandinavian countries as there should have been and I have to admit I had never even heard the name before you mentioned him.

However, self-publishing the way he - and many others - does is what I was trying to avoid. Over time I've gradually and grudgingly come to appreciate the services a professional publisher can provide a composer or an author and although it would certainly be nice to remain in total control of my works and their distribution, I've come to the conclusion that it may not be worth all the time and effort effective self-publishing require.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:00 pm

Daan wrote:Call Per Olov, and ask how he is doing it.
He does it all himself.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”