Composition in progress

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Marty219

Composition in progress

Post by Marty219 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:40 am

Hello,

I'm working on a baroque-ish piece inspired mostly by Bourrée in E minor (BWV 996) and Gavotte en Rondeau (BWV 995). I just wondering what you think of it and if you have any advice.
Also I'm aware that it's simple (maybe too simple?) but I'm pretty new at this. I exported the sound file from Guitar Pro 6 because I haven't got any good recording equipment...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Frank Nordberg

Re: Composition in progress

Post by Frank Nordberg » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:33 pm

Marty219 wrote:I'm working on a baroque-ish piece inspired mostly by Bourrée in E minor (BWV 996) and Gavotte en Rondeau (BWV 995). I just wondering what you think of it and if you have any advice.
I can't really hear any Bach or baroque in it (I'd describe it more as folk music or possibly renaissance inspired) but that doesn't matter. What's important is that it's a nice and catchy tune and rhythm. You really should keep working on it! You may want to tweak the part just before that big ending chord a little bit and of course, it needs at least one more section to be a fnished work.
Marty219 wrote:Also I'm aware that it's simple (maybe too simple?)
There's nothing wrong with that.

Marty219

Post by Marty219 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Thanks! Great to hear that you like it.

I probably thought it reminded of Bach because I used some treble/bass harmonies which I knew from the pieces I mentioned.

And thanks for the advice! I'll keep on working on it.

musikai

Post by musikai » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:27 pm

It's a nice piece. My advice would be to compose an end because right now it ends on the dominant.
And you could compose a second part that starts in parallel minor (em) and would even work with the same melody notes of the beginning of your 1. part.

edit: oh, that are essentially the same ideas that Frank had :)
Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

rudelguitar

Post by rudelguitar » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:35 am

Hi Marty,
Very nice piece. If I was writing this I would repeat the part that goes to the higher notes and probably vary the repeat slightly. Otherwise, you have the start of a very nice piece here. If you've finished it by now I would be curious to hear how it came out.
Rudel

michael karmon

Post by michael karmon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:00 am

I agree that it's a very promising start. :) If you post the score folks might be able to give you more specific advice.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”