Finale and Musescore imcompatibility

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
robin loops

Re: Finale and Musescore imcompatibility

Post by robin loops » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:35 pm

pogmoor wrote:
robin loops wrote:...which really sometimes can just re-entering all the notes manually and remaking the score in the new program...
IMHO that's unduly negative. As I said above it's usually fairly straightforward to transfer music between programs.
robin loops wrote:
jwp wrote:It looks to me like this is a futile discussion. AlexRaven wants perfect transfer of music notation between two programs. That can't be done in all cases by current programs, no matter the method used to make the transfer. There's not really anything more that can be said about that.
it's just a question of finding the method that will require the least amount of fixing and editing to correct erroneous results, which really sometimes can just re-entering all the notes manually and remaking the score in the new program. It's also good practice for the UI of whatever program you're using as wedll as good review of the music itself...
It only sounds negative if you leave out the positive parts... I mean the ones referring to it being good exercise and and review and that it this is not necessarily always the way to go and is "sometimes" the best solution. I didn't add that with a little practice entering notes is almost as quick as typing in a word processor, at which point copying a sheet of music manually can be simpler than editing errors.

When transferring music between programs is straightforward and doesn't result in a lot of errors, it's awesome... My 'unduly negative' comment was in relation to the issues that sometimes arise when moving between programs. The issues specifically described by the OP. The same issues that no one as of yet in this conversation/topic has offered a complete solution for, which was why JWP made the comment that I quoted (about this being a futile discussion). At any rate from my personal experience I sometimes have found it much easier to simply re-enter data from a clean slate than trying to patch up and fix something that contains errors due to tied notes, mixed voices, changed octaves, swapped instruments, etc. (the issues being discussed in this topic). The best solution to any problem is the one that will take the least time and effort with the least amount of frustration... If starting from a clean slate achieves those ends (which is the case sometimes) then one must keep this option open... That is why I added it as one of the possible approaches to take. Spending hours to fix xsomethinvg that can be made from scratch in less time makes no sense at all... By the way, that's not negativity, it's just simple math.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Return to “Composers' Workshop”