how to transpose scores in computer formats

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
anathem

how to transpose scores in computer formats

Post by anathem » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:10 pm

heya ppl i havent started a new thread in a long while so here it goes.
i was wondering how to transpose scores from bought sheet music into various computer formats and i need your help ive never done this before.i mean i can scan the sheets and put them on a computer but what to do when i dont have a scanner at hand? how do you edit a pdf with all the info u can find on a sheet?and are there other ways to practically "move" the entire contents of a sheet onto a computer format without actually creating a computer friendly copy as done by a scanner? guitar pro or similar notation programs are of no help i need something to reproduce acurately what is found on a piece of sheet music
tanx in advance waiting for replies

norban

Post by norban » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:15 am

If you open your file you can make a screenshot by pressing the print key, open a text program and select the paste function. Now you have the complete screen on the page.

anathem

Post by anathem » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:55 pm

sorry norban but i didnt understand what u are saying.i am talking about editing a sheet music score which is on paper into a computer program so that i may share it via the internet.could pls come back on ur post

billb

Post by billb » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:52 pm

There was a thread about music notation programs posted.

Use music publisher. It's free and diverse. It is made for publishing music.

Just do a google search music publisher software.

Cheers

anathem

Post by anathem » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:34 pm

good idea thanks.oh and yeah i know that thread but sibelius which was the most used is kinda out of my grasp.anyway ill check in with u later tell u what ive done cyaz

norban

Post by norban » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:20 pm

Oh--sorry, I misanderstood you.
For my notation program (Capella), I can buy a tool called Capella-scan which is able to read scores and edit them into the notation prog. Haven't bought it yet. There must be somthing similar to Sibelius.

anathem

Post by anathem » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:12 pm

so where can i find something as the capella tool ot the program in itself with its tool (link maybe?)

Russell

Capella

Post by Russell » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:00 pm

Hi Anathem,

try this;

http://www.whc.de/capscan.cfm

Looks expensive for the full programme, but it looks like a boon for professional musicians.!

Russ :D

anathem

Post by anathem » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:05 pm

hello russelk9 and tanx for the reply yeah it really sounds expensive but very complex and useful ill have to get my way through all the german there and then ill decide waht must be done in this matter
but for the moment seems i wont be able to send those flamenco scores to balo unless i scan them :)

Azalais

digitizing sheet music (music OCR)

Post by Azalais » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:41 pm

I'm not sure if you are talking about just copying an image to share, or if you mean actually making a digital (midi) file so can transpose keys, play the sounds, etc.

If you want to make an electronic music file (midi), Finale Guitar can do it, and there is another good one called SharpEye...

First you take an image file (.gif, .jpg, .pdf(?)) of your book or sheet music, photo or screen shot, and convert it to a crisp hi-res black and white .TIF file and use that as your source file. Printed sheet music scanned at fairly hi-resolution is surprisingly accurate. (I use them to make quick preview midi files to hear how a piece is supposed to sound and/or to practice with... for personal use only)

None of them work perfectly, especially with .pdf files, unless you thicken the staff lines in a paint/photo program before you run the scan/recognition function. Depending on the complexity of the piece and the quality of the image, it's sometimes faster just to enter it into a notation/tab program with the KB rather than trying to edit out the OCR errors... :( It won't get fingering symbols, etc., and you are lucky if you get accurate triplets... but sometimes you find the perfect combination and get 98% accuracy.

anathem

Post by anathem » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:40 am

thanks or the reply azalais
no i am not trying to create midis i can do that with guitar pro4 i just want to put scores from paper into my computer so that i can share them with others and ur suggestion were of great help especially the idea of photographing i must be really stupid not to have though about it in the first place i can simply take pictures of the scores with a digital amera put them into the computer and then edit them in fotocanvas if i need to put fingerings and stuff i'll do that soon
cya ppl

norban

Post by norban » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:14 am

Nearly all suggestions need a scanner, which he doesn't have. Taking pictures of the score i have tried olready but the result didn't convince me. If you do so, dont use the flash, get the score good lighted and hold the camera vertically above the middle of the score.

anathem

Post by anathem » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:49 am

i'll do that and tell you how i did.anyway for the moment it seems the best solution i'll try out others later.and as far as the pictures of scores go i can always edit them with a picture editor in case i need more light or to thicken the lines
thanks for the replies guys

evenius

Post by evenius » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:52 pm

http://www.finalemusic.com/notepad/ , download finale notepad, good program, and free.

Colm

Lilypond is free and very high quality...

Post by Colm » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:37 pm

Hi Folks,

Maybe it's because I'm a computer programmer that I find Lilypond the best thing to use. You write your music in a script format in any text editor and then run it through the lilypond score generator.

http://lilypond.org/web/switch/howto

Lots of music in Lilypond format is available at http://www.mutopiaproject.org/

Guitar music is at
http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/ma ... ent=Guitar

This site is trying to become the musical equivalent of Project Gutenberg

[edit] oh and btw - it's free! [/edit]

--
Colm

Return to “Composers' Workshop”