Note and TAB workflow for Sibelius

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
bergmann

Note and TAB workflow for Sibelius

Post by bergmann » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:05 am

At my website www.bergmannedition.com, I usually publish my scores in three different versions: 1. Clean - a version without any fingering, 2. Edited - a version with fingering, and 3. TAB - a version with TAB's and a small version of the edited version.

It sounds like a lot of work, but using the template added this post, it is rather easy. I use the following workflow:

1. Write the score without fingering in the first staff using the "Full Score" view - the staff called "clean". Here I only take what should be in the final so called CLEAN-score, which is the most basic notation. While I write this score I focus on the staff using the "Focus on Staves" feature found in the Sibelius Layout-ribbon. When I've finished working on the Clean score I turn of the "Focus on Staves" feature so I can see all three staffs.
2. Next I copy the final CLEAN score to the second staff called "Edit" (three click on the system to select, ctrl+c to copy, ctrl+v to insert). I use "Focus on Staves" while I add all fingering to the EDITED staff.
3. Then I copy the Clean version into the TAB and check that the numbers in the TAB are ok.

Now the three version are ready as three separate Parts: Clean - Edit, TAB - and Edit. Each of the three parts can then be justified with the features in the layout-ribbon. Often the only adjustments needed are changing the "Staff size" or change the "spaces between staves and systems" and an occasional Page- or System- break.

The template include a Carcassi etude - illustrating the idea. You simply delete all the notes using the "Full Score" view before you use for your own purpurse.
It is my experience that it is best to make all (or most) editing of notes and fingering using the "Full Score" view and only edit the three parts views using the features in the Layout ribbon. In the "Full score" view you should not work with the features in the Layout ribbon - the three systems is only used as source for the Parts, which represent the final look.

It cost me only few minutes extra to use this workflow compared to only work on an edited version. And I can see at my website, that Both the TAB version and the Clean version are as popular as the edited version.

At last I use the "Export parts as separate pdf-files" found in the "File"-ribbon to get three files for distributing.

Please, try it for yourselves, and don't hesitate to ask, if you need further help to understand the workflow.

Link to the template: http://www.bergmannedition.com/wp-conte ... mplate.sib

pogmoor

Re: Note and TAB workflow for Sibelius

Post by pogmoor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:07 pm

That's very neat; I may give it a try :)
Do you export a pdf file of each part to create the separate versions?

I find with Sibelius that I get problems with attached objects such as barre position indicators, hairpins, first and second endings etc moving to the wrong place if the layout is changed. Do you avoid this by using your template?
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

bergmann

Post by bergmann » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:16 pm

Great Pogmoor - You should really try to get the grip - In fact I had you (among others) in mind when I decided to upload my work-flow.
Do you export a pdf file of each part to create the separate versions?
Yes - when the three parts are ready, I use the command File | Export | PDF | All part only (separate files). Then I have three pdf-files which are similar to the three parts.
I find with Sibelius that I get problems with attached objects such as barre position indicators, hairpins, first and second endings etc moving to the wrong place if the layout is changed. Do you avoid this by using your template?
Yes again. In the "Full Score" - view, I place all the guitar specific notation in the system called EDIT. I don't use any of the features under the Layout-ribbon in this view. The three systems in the "Full view" are a kind of raw source. I try to place all the guitar specific notation as correct as possible while writing to the EDIT-system.

When all notation are finished using the "Full Score" view, I go to the the three parts. They will often go over two or more pages, and look a little strange at first, with the system distributed uneven on the two pages. As usual I can change the way the systems are distributed by changing the Staff-size, the margins and the Spaces between staffs and systems. When the distribution is ok, I simply check that the system and page breaks are where I want them. At last I go careful through the EDIT-part, because as usual a few guitar specific notations need a little adjustment. (When you adjust in the parts, the objects you adjust change colour to red - so you can easily see which objects you have changed.) But there should not be many adjustment at this time - if there are too many, you should go back and make the changes in the "Full Score".

In fact I see the "Full Score" with its three systems as a kind edition-mode - and the three parts as different extracts, or different views of the data in the "Full score".

The beauty of this is, that you can make more parts if you need it - like "magna-print" for visual impaired or "mini-print" to use on the stage - all without typing or copying. Just make a new part and define the layout using the features in the Layout-ribbon.

bergmann

Post by bergmann » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:35 pm

To illustrate the idea of having more than one part (version) based on the same data (=data in "Full Score"), I have added a Magnaprint and a Miniprint version in the template-file. If you have downloaded it earlier, you will have to download it again: http://www.bergmannedition.com/wp-conte ... mplate.sib

If you can't see the new parts, try to click at the plus-sign to the right of the line with the Tabs named "Full Score"- "Clean" - "Edit,TAB"- "Edit" ...

Return to “Composers' Workshop”