LilyPond 2.18.0 release

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
Schneider

LilyPond 2.18.0 release

Post by Schneider » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:11 am

The last stable version of LilyPond is released : http://lilypond.org/
Some syntax have been simplified and new ones have been added. A full list of noteworthy new features is given in : http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documenta ... index.html
Together with the last version of Frescobaldi, you'll get simply the best music editor.
Have fun !
Pierre

sxedio

Re: LilyPond 2.18.0 release

Post by sxedio » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:23 pm

Thanks for letting us know, I look forward to trying the new features.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:46 pm

:merci:

Hi Pierre,

that's good news during the last hours of the year. I used plain Lilypond with Windows earlier and
I always thought that Frescobaldi was only available for LINUX, but now I've learned that it is available for other
operating systems, too.
I wish you a Happy New Year!
Bernhard

drew p

Post by drew p » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:40 pm

how would you say it compares to guitarpro and finale?

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:53 pm

Well, I don't know GuitarPro really, but once I tried to print a score without TAB and could not
produce it - that was the critical reason not to use it. And I don't know how well GuitarPro handles scores for other instruments
(like piano or flute) which are no problem for Finale.

I've been working with Finale (version 2012) since almost two years now - it is a universal and mighty product,
but you do need a good manual to get started. The only thing I couldn't do with it was to typeset lute scores in French tablature,
but there are other tools for that purpose (Django, Fronimo).

Like Finale, Lilypond + Fronimo make a universal tool, but the input language of Lilypond needs learning and experience
and may deter those who are looking for quick results. As a retired computer scientist I am used to formal languages,
have used TEX, with its descendant MusTEX a predecessor of Lilypond, and so my opinion is biased.

But your question is a good one - a book might be written to try an answer. :D

Bernhard

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:13 pm

Bernhard Heimann wrote:I've been working with Finale (version 2012) since almost two years now ... only thing I couldn't do with it was to typeset lute scores in French tablature, but there are other tools for that purpose (Django, Fronimo).
Bernhard - are you saying that Fin.2012 and later cannot create lute tabs? I was thinking of upgrading from Fin.2008 but that would be a deal breaker for me.

Does your documentation explain why they removed this functionality and if there are plans to reinstate it?

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi Mark,

it was not precise to say that it cannot create lute tabs - it can create tabs (looking like modern guitar tabs).
Up to now, I could not find a way to create French tablature looking like Fronimo or Django output. But I know that Finale can do much unexpected things...
What I mean is a tablature looking like that:
Lute_tab_example.JPG
If someone has found a way to make this with Finale, I'll be very pleased to know.
Bernhard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:40 pm

Bernhard Heimann wrote:If someone has found a way to make this with Finale, I'll be very pleased to know.
It was always possible to do this using Finale Bernhard - I quickly copied your example using Finale 2008.
Fin.2008 ex.1.png
I prefer single rhythm indications as above but it's easy to make them in the manner you wish - long or short stems, any thickness and separation of beams etc., etc.
Fin.2008 ex.2.png
Also I prefer a more modern typeface - I used this one only as an illustration.

Are you really sure that Finale 2012 doesn't allow this? I intend to begin publishing soon and, in every other way, I prefer Finale by far over Sibelius, LilyPond etc. I really don't want to be forced to switch programs at this stage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bernhard Heimann

Post by Bernhard Heimann » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:54 am

Hi Mark,

that's really fantastic. Maybe I've not found the right parameters yet. Up to now, I've only managed
to use numbers for the frets even if "tablature with letters" was selected. And which music font did you use for typesetting my example?

Well, I see: I've been using Finale now very intensively for classica (guitar) scores in standard notation
and only sporadically for guitar tablature, but I still have a lot to learn when it comes to lute tablature,
which I need only from time to time for transcription purposes.

Best regards and thank you
Bernhard

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:41 am

Bernhard - as this is a LilyPond thread I will post in a new one.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”