sibelius first: how to enter rh/lh fingerings

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
mc1

sibelius first: how to enter rh/lh fingerings

Post by mc1 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:55 am

i have "upgraded" my copy of sibelius g7 to sibelius first, and i'm having a hard go of it. i have asked some questions over at the sibelius forum but there doesn't seem to be anybody around to help.

i am trying to enter right and left hand fingerings, but i can't seem to find them anywhere. the manual mentions to use the guitar fingerings for p i m a, but doesn't mention where they are located. it doesn't mention left hand fingerings. can anyone help me locate where to enter the left and right hand fingerings?

also, does sibelius first support other plugins?

finally, i'm very disappointed it doesn't fully support alternate tunings. i have to create them with g7 them open them in first. sigh.

thanks so much if anyone can help. i've spent hours looking and searching.

pogmoor

Re: sibelius first: how to enter rh/lh fingerings

Post by pogmoor » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:32 am

I’m not sure how much functionality Sibelius First has compared with the full version of Sibelius, so I can tell you how it works in Sibelius 7 in case you have the same features in Sibelius First.

Both left hand and right hand fingering are text stiles. To enter fingering for a particular note select the appropriate style in the Style Panel, then click next to the note and enter the number or letter required. In addition, I have a plug-in called Add Fingering to Notes, but I think this only works in Sibelius 6 and 7.

One short cut I use for entering a lot of guitar symbols (especially position indications) is to create a Sibelius score with just one line of notes and put in it examples of all the symbols I want to use (mainly fingering, position indications, circled numbers to indicate particular strings and lines of various types). I then save it somewhere I can easily find it and just copy each symbol I want to use and paste it where I need it in the score. This is quicker that using the Text Style Panel to create an new symbol.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

mc1

Re: sibelius first: how to enter rh/lh fingerings

Post by mc1 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:36 pm

thank you kindly, pogmoor!

in g7 there is a create->text option on a menu but i don''t think there is a similar menu option in First. and for some odd reason (tired? unfamiliar?) i was clicking on the note rather than next to it. i like your idea of a line of notes. it might save time to have a scale in the different voices that is prefingered. i might use a left hand number of 5 so that it's clear when i didn't change the copied note.

thanks again.

for the plugins, i tried searching out my drive for the location of existing plugins (C:\ProgramData\Avid\Sibelius 7 First\Resources\en.lproj\Plugins) and adding a folder with the Add Fingering to Notes plugin. I restarted first but the plugin didn't show up. So I then removed one of the plugin folders to test if that really was the correct location. I restarted first and those plugins were not available. So then I tried adding the Add Fingerings plugin to an existing folder, restarted, but it still didn't show up. This led me to believe that first cannot add new plugins (it is SO restricted - sigh :cry: ).

however, then i renamed an existing plugin (AddBrassFingering) in order to save it, then renamed AddFingeringtoNotes.plg to AddBrassFingering.plg and put it where the original brass fingering plugin was. Viola!!! it worked. feeling pretty pleased with myself over that. :chitarrista:

Return to “Composers' Workshop”