A program to write scores

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
jonasb2

Post by jonasb2 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:57 am

I swear by tabledit. It handles scores and tabs and continues to evolve with new features. Buy it once and all upgrades are free.

darkshark

Post by darkshark » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:26 am

I like Noteworthy too and have been using for the past year. I started using Finale recently, and find that layering different lines of music to produce the bass, middle and upper voices is much easier with Finale compared with Noteworthy. You do get used to Noteworthy though, it just takes some time spent in the Noteworthy forum looking for frequently asked questions.
Tom.

A-P

Notation Software

Post by A-P » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:44 pm

Anyone tried Personal Composer... not expensive, not hard to use, plays back midi and the guy that runs it is very user friendly...

http://www.pcomposer.com

Andre

Cagatay

Post by Cagatay » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:20 pm

i used many programs and most liked sibelius. you can do everything on it.

MarioBaptista

Post by MarioBaptista » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:37 pm

I mainly use TablEdit (http://www.tabledit.com), Guitar-Pro (http://www.guitar-pro.com) and PowerTab (http://www.power-tab.net). PowerTab is freeware; the two other ones are not expensive (50 - 60 euros, I suppose).
They all are guitar dedicated, relatively easy to use and, above all, there are thousands of scores for free in the internet for these formats.
A friend of mine has Finale 2005 but that's another story. It's a professional software (like Sibelius) but very expensive (above 500 euros). With this one you can write a complete score for a whole orchestra.

Mário

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:07 pm

I agree... TablEdit is very easy to use (It does beautiful standard notation too)

I also have Finale Guitar (about $90) and it is complicated to use, the help files are less than helpful, and unless you are at a university where you have live tech support sitting next to you, it might drive you crazy!

I also use a wonderful program called Django lute tablature software. (It ALSO does notation) It lets you make beautiful historical (and modern) style tablature (with the ornaments and rhythm flags, etc.) Best of all, when you register, you get access to a wonderful library of user files of early music. It lets you convert lute tablature to guitar very quickly and efficiently.

keithdn

Post by keithdn » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:59 am

I'm not sure how many Linux users are on this forum but from what I've seen, nothing compares to the output of LilyPond. Perhaps it's not the easiest to use, but coupled with Denemo, once you get to know your way around your productivity can rival that of any program, I believe. I am fairly certain there is a Macintosh port and I would guess there is also a Windows port, but I can not be certain.

http://lilypond.org/web/switch/advantages

And Denemo, a graphical frontend which works well. There may be better GUIs in existance, and if anyone knows of a good one I would appreciate to know. I hear NoteEdit is alright but have not yet tried it. Thank you.

http://denemo.sourceforge.net/index.html

A little propaganda about LilyPond: While going through this much "work" just to make a score look nice (and that's a subjective word to begin with) may seem superfluous, I sincerely think it is worth the effort. Once you get past the initial phase, you quickly realize it is actually a much quicker and smarter way of writing music. With that said, I hope someone here decides to at least give it a try. Also, I am in no way associated with LilyPond, I just like it a lot. Thank you.

Keith

guitarmonk

Hmm..! I have an opinion too

Post by guitarmonk » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:00 pm

Well i used both noteworthycomposer & finale.
But to be very open i don't find them professional and user friendly. I say it becoz in noteworthy composer. I missed few features that i desperately needed: -

a) standard alignment of the staff. For example if in one staff we wrote 4 bar of music and in next we wrote 3 bars, then it will show 3 bar staff as shorter. The distance between 2 different bars.
b). Copy music to other editable documents like office etc.
c). I am still locating, may be i could found, but i don't see that i could write both chords & lyrics to a staff (one up & other down), also not change the colour.

so i don't think that for professional rendering & quality presentation they appealed me very much. I am trying for the others.
Finale to an exten i used but i still have to study it thoroughly yet. As compared to NWC, i am less habitual on Finale but its userface is not appealing to me as compared to NWC.

otik

Post by otik » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:10 pm

i think finale & sibelius are the most popular & powerful software (specially for orchestrations) out in the market nowadays...they're a little difficult to use at first but once u get to learn them, your music sheets can look very professional

but if your looking for simple note entry and not music engraving intended for publication, there's encore, noteworthy & guitar pro....

i've used all of the above mentioned software, as i was once a music encoder...

btw guitarmonk your problems a b & c all have solutions in finale...its very long to explain here...check out your software documentation...or simply open up the help file...

good day to you all!

foki_f

Post by foki_f » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:20 pm

Finale 2006! the best ever

david_classg

Post by david_classg » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:21 am

the actual finale is awesome, the notepad is ok, but you can only use piano in the playback, finale 2006 has amazing playback and a lot of options, its the pro stuff...

TedtheBear

Post by TedtheBear » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:33 am

Can one enter fingerings on any of these? If so, which one(s)? I'm just now experimenting (more like fooling around) with Power Tab Editor and Finale NotePad 2006. I'd like to be able to put the LH/RH fingerings on the sheet.
Thanks

lorenzo

Post by lorenzo » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:28 am

keithdn wrote:
A little propaganda about LilyPond: While going through this much "work" just to make a score look nice (and that's a subjective word to begin with) may seem superfluous, I sincerely think it is worth the effort. Once you get past the initial phase, you quickly realize it is actually a much quicker and smarter way of writing music. With that said, I hope someone here decides to at least give it a try. Also, I am in no way associated with LilyPond, I just like it a lot. Thank you.

Keith
I have been using Finale and Sibelius for writing and various sequencers for composing.
Because of the beautiful output scores I've seen and the ease to handle poliphony and fingerings I am trying to do an arragement with lilypond... It's not easy to start with but at least there is a very large docum,entation
Unfortunatelly I cannot get the windows port of Denemo to work (maybe it's just me). Anyway I'll let you know.

hear you soon
Lorenzo

amigo

Re: A program to write scores

Post by amigo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:20 pm

einstainh wrote:Hi . Does anybody know a program downloadable freely from internet , where i can write scores for pieces or songs ?
Hi,

there is a new version of Notepad2006:

http://www.codamusic.com/notepad/

It´s very good.

Amigo

joel oporto

Post by joel oporto » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:47 am

the two leading notation software are finale and sibelius. Both are laden with a lot of features that you probably would not need.

Finale however has NOTEPAD which is free, you just register and download. I think it would be a very good introduction to finale if you need a more robust software in the future.

http://www.finalemusic.com/notepad/

personally, I've been using encore since the days of windows 3.1, and haven't really needed anything much more.

Return to “Composers' Workshop”