A program to write scores

Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Authors' rights

Composers' Workshop
Theory and practice of composition and arranging for classical guitar, discussion of works in progress, etc.

Once you have subscribed to the 002 group, you can attach the following types of files to your messages:
Audio : .mp3 .ogg .wav .flac
Video : .avi .flv .mov .wmv
Score : .pdf .jpg .gif .png
Finale: .mus
simon

Post by simon » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:27 am

i use NOTEPAD too. good basic starting point.

Simon
Roger Allan 1937 Hauser + Zoom H4 + GTP3 = Hours of Fun !!!

Fingerboard

Post by Fingerboard » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:49 am

In my own humble opinion, TablEdit and Guitar Pro 5 are very helpful partners. :D

pogmoor

Notation software

Post by pogmoor » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:59 pm

To answer TedTheBear's question, you can do fingering in Sibelius (and I think in Finale too). Some of the arrangements on my site have fingering and this was done with Sibelius.

I am particularly fond of Sibelius as it is very flexible, though sometimes you have to research how to get it to do what you want. My understanding is that most publishers now use either Sibelius or Finale for engraving published scores.

Currently I am sorting out how to do lute tablature in Sibelius. Thanks to a helpful lutenist, Wim Hoogenwerf, I think I may now have this right.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

ljerams

Post by ljerams » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:28 am

I had a go at Finale Notepad and one or two others with even less success.

Now learning Music Publisher 5 which is much easier. It also has a very good tutorial.

The difference is that this Programme does what you want it to do rather than the Programme automatically changing things 'cos it doesn't understand :roll:

Example, in Finale I inserted a wrong note a few bars earlier and couldn't find a way to change it or a way to insert a new one. If you delete a note, it moves the music back one space and inserts a rest. I wasted about two hours with the help file and then gave up.

jackstrat

Post by jackstrat » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Already been said, but I vote for Finale Notepad and PowerTab. Both are free and pretty well supported (lots of existing files to learn from).

JackStrat

stevemcbill

Music Software

Post by stevemcbill » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:21 pm

My vote goes very strongly for TablEdit - powerful but still easy to use. Designed specifically for stringed and fretted instruments of all sorts. Can do music notation and tablature (inc. lute tablature). An excellent and very useful product with a very large user base.

Steve :)

Return to “Composers' Workshop”