Albeniz, Isaac - Sevilla - video

Audio and video recordings of romantic and modern music (1850-1940, e.g. Albéniz, Barrios, Coste, Mertz, Llobet).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Granados, Enrique - op.37/05 Andaluza - D09 Video
or Ságreras, J. S. - op.19 Maria Luisa - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Ságreras, J. S. - 1/49 Lesson (One digit for lesson-book / two digits for lesson.)
or Anon. - Samba Lele - D03 (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Julian Ward

Albeniz, Isaac - Sevilla - video

Post by Julian Ward » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Hi!

I am back on the forum and wanted to share this with you. I first studied this as a university student twenty years ago but was never happy with it. I have re approached this over the last two years by studying the piano score much more closely. If you look at all the places where the repeating motif of the 'D - E - D - D' (or equivalent) intejects with the main melody in the piano part, it has often been omitted in the guitar transcriptions, leaving a hole in the rhythm that I never liked. I have put this back in, either in full, or in partial, to retain the character of that little motif, which I think is what really underpins the 'implied' rhythm behind it (if that makes sense!!). This piece is certainly one of my favourute in the Spanish repertoire, but has always been one of the most difficult to really 'play' properly. I hope you enjoy :D :merci:

mcote

Re: Albeniz, Isaac - Sevilla - video

Post by mcote » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Very nice! Thank you for posting.

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Thank you, appreciated. :)

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:59 pm

You did very well indeed if this was captured in one take

I still maintain that it is one of the hardest pieces in the standard classical guitar repertoire.

Like you, I tried it a long time ago and played it again recently (you can see my efforts on Youtube) as I was never happy with it.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:59 pm

Thanks - I agree Adrian. I think it is too, it just doesn't flow unless played at the correct speed, and as you well know, that is tough! Even the first two bars are really difficult to master. It took me nearly all day to get this recording! I will check out yours.

Return to “Our recordings of Romantic and Modern music”