Compendium of Forum Knowledge

Stefan Uriadka

Re: compendium of forum knowledge

Post by Stefan Uriadka » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:01 pm

Hans W wrote:The easiest way I know of is to take images, import them into Word or any simpler program and print the page.
That's a decent suggestion, but picture files will take up a lot of space. It's better to cut & paste each 'print preview' of each page as text into a text file. Or simply save them as html files page by page. Still, the AG forum has a nice print friendly text version of the entire thread on one page. Maybe someone can pass this suggestion onto the designers of the forum software.

GEO

Post by GEO » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:34 pm

Stefan Uriadka wrote:
Hans W wrote:The easiest way I know of is to take images, import them into Word or any simpler program and print the page.
That's a decent suggestion, but picture files will take up a lot of space. It's better to cut & paste each 'print preview' of each page as text into a text file. Or simply save them as html files page by page. Still, the AG forum has a nice print friendly text version of the entire thread on one page. Maybe someone can pass this suggestion onto the designers of the forum software.
I'm confused by your suggestion, Stefan. Binary storage is more efficient than text (ascii), so converting from the former to the latter should result in a larger file.

Cheers,

geo

Stefan Uriadka

Post by Stefan Uriadka » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:07 pm

GEO wrote:I'm confused by your suggestion, Stefan. Binary storage is more efficient than text (ascii), so converting from the former to the latter should result in a larger file.
Hi Geo, I'm confused by your confusion :)

For example, save a picture file of a screen shot of this thread (say jpg). Now save just the text of the same screen in a text file. Compare the file sizes. You will see the text file is about 1/10th or less in size, depending on image compression.
A text file only stores the ascii text, it does not store a bitmap photo of the entire screen. Did I miss something? I thought this was pretty common knowledge.

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:01 am

I think you're right Stefan.

But given the reason that you might want to print a thread, I thought an image would be better since text can be altered so easily and therefore be of little or no value.

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

GEO

Post by GEO » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:53 am

Stefan Uriadka wrote:
GEO wrote:I'm confused by your suggestion, Stefan. Binary storage is more efficient than text (ascii), so converting from the former to the latter should result in a larger file.
Hi Geo, I'm confused by your confusion :)

For example, save a picture file of a screen shot of this thread (say jpg). Now save just the text of the same screen in a text file. Compare the file sizes. You will see the text file is about 1/10th or less in size, depending on image compression.
A text file only stores the ascii text, it does not store a bitmap photo of the entire screen. Did I miss something? I thought this was pretty common knowledge.
Sorry...I should have read this thread more carefully and seen that you were only after the text of the thread.

geo

Stefan Uriadka

Post by Stefan Uriadka » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:50 pm

Hans W wrote:I think you're right Stefan.

But given the reason that you might want to print a thread, I thought an image would be better since text can be altered so easily and therefore be of little or no value.

Hans
Hans, well, I was going on the assumption that the person saving or printing the information had already decided that it was of value to keep and simply wanted to save the text for future reference.

You are right, any web page text can be edited off-line. But, you could also edit the page then take a picture of it later serving no good purpose for record keeping.
But for that matter, given the anonymity of the posters in online forums, you have to take everything you read with a grain of salt or shot of vodka anyway :)

I usually prefer published books for information as an author stands behind it. But, people's opinions can be useful as well.

pacfan

Post by pacfan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:39 am

How do you re-attach or re-upload an attachment accidentally deleted on old posts where there's no more edit button?

owl

Post by owl » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:29 am

pacfan wrote:How do you re-attach or re-upload an attachment accidentally deleted on old posts where there's no more edit button?
Now that's very interesting!
When did this happen I wonder... we have always been able to edit our own posts up to now
I wonder why we can on some and not on others

I'd like to know why and how as well!

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:06 pm

Could you tell us which post it was so we can check?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

pacfan

Post by pacfan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:04 pm

Thanks Owl and Geoff for your concern. I've just discovered a strange phenomenon here. When I checked some of my posts, all posts on and before June 6 this year don't have the edit button, while the ones after that all have the edit button. Here's where the cut-off starts, the first one (and before that) doesn't have the edit button (june 6) while the second one (June 8 and all others after that) does:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=29181&p=297577#p297577

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=28746&p=297910#p297910

I wonder if this is so for other members as well.

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:00 pm

Unfortunately, Mod screen displays are a bit different then yours so we can't see what you're seeing. I suspect however that is may be a result of the upgrade to the software, which I believe happened around that time. Assuming this is indeed the case, if you really want something changed in an old post, I guess a note to the Adm would be the only option.

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

pacfan

Post by pacfan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:55 pm

Thanks Hans, I think Kampret is working on it so we'll see. But at any rate, I was talking of one of my long inactive threads so whatever the result, it'll be okay for me...

owl

Post by owl » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:58 am

Hans W wrote:I suspect however that is may be a result of the upgrade to the software, which I believe happened around that time. Assuming this is indeed the case, if you really want something changed in an old post, I guess a note to the Adm would be the only option.
Hmmm!
Not sure I like this :?
I don't like the thought that I have no control over my own posts! :roll:
I would like to know for sure if this is the case... thanks Hans and Kampret... please let me know what the story is

Owl

Hans W

Post by Hans W » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:01 am

Owl, have you gone back to some old posts to confirm if in fact the edit option is no longer there. I can't because as you know, Mods have different views and options.

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!

owl

Post by owl » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:14 pm

LOL Hans... yes, I know mods are 'fully optioned' :lol:
I have checked some of my older posts and I don't have an edit button on them that I can see

Owl

Return to “Forum Help Guides”