Just bought a New World Player

John Puckett

Re: Just bought a New World Player

Post by John Puckett » Fri May 11, 2018 2:30 pm

Ok, I've spent almost a month with the Kenny Hill Payer and I like it. It's well crafted, and the set up is really nice. It's easy to play. The downside, tonally, it lacks richness, if that makes sense. It seems the original owner never played it, so I'm hoping, over time, tonality will improve. It's an excellent student guitar and fits my current needs but I'm already GAS-ing for a hand made tone monster. Ahhh, the plight of the guitarist... never tonally satisfied.

Podobin

Post by Podobin » Fri May 11, 2018 10:14 pm

Well stated. You may want to try to adjust the strings and see if that helps the sound. I found with the one that I tried, the mids were a little boxy sounding, but it was a very nice guitar.

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon May 14, 2018 1:23 pm

John Puckett wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:30 pm
Ok, I've spent almost a month with the Kenny Hill Payer and I like it. It's well crafted, and the set up is really nice. It's easy to play. The downside, tonally, it lacks richness, if that makes sense. It seems the original owner never played it, so I'm hoping, over time, tonality will improve. It's an excellent student guitar and fits my current needs but I'm already GAS-ing for a hand made tone monster. Ahhh, the plight of the guitarist... never tonally satisfied.
If ever you go down the road of looking for a true hand made luthier instrument, be sure to be patient and discerning as the options are endless. A guitar may be several times more expensive than your KH player and may be made in a one man shop, but that doesn't guarantee that it will be the "tone monster" you are looking for. Online recordings, second hand testimony, etc. can be very misleading since guitar preferences are highly personal/subjective. Trying in person first or having a good return policy is always the safest route.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

John Puckett

Post by John Puckett » Mon May 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Podobin wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:14 pm
Well stated. You may want to try to adjust the strings and see if that helps the sound. I found with the one that I tried, the mids were a little boxy sounding, but it was a very nice guitar.
Not sure I understand. Do you mean try different sting manufacturers/tensions, or adjust the action?

John Puckett

Post by John Puckett » Mon May 14, 2018 4:42 pm

souldier wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:23 pm
John Puckett wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:30 pm
If ever you go down the road of looking for a true hand made luthier instrument, be sure to be patient and discerning as the options are endless. A guitar may be several times more expensive than your KH player and may be made in a one man shop, but that doesn't guarantee that it will be the "tone monster" you are looking for. Online recordings, second hand testimony, etc. can be very misleading since guitar preferences are highly personal/subjective. Trying in person first or having a good return policy is always the safest route.
My plan, when I go big, is to spend a few days at R.E. Brune's, he's about 45min from my house, and see if he has anything that grips me. If that fails, I like your "good return policy" policy and we'll see how that goes.

es335

Post by es335 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:59 am

John Puckett wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:20 pm
Podobin wrote:
Not sure I understand. Do you mean try different sting manufacturers/tensions, or adjust the action?
Different strings can make a big difference! So this is why a complete subforum is dedicated to this subject. For a reasonable start of this Odyssey it would be interesting to know the present string brand, tension and what you dislike respectively are missing! :wink:

John Puckett

Post by John Puckett » Wed May 16, 2018 5:01 pm

es335 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:59 am
John Puckett wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:20 pm
Podobin wrote:
Different strings can make a big difference! So this is why a complete subforum is dedicated to this subject. For a reasonable start of this Odyssey it would be interesting to know the present string brand, tension and what you dislike respectively are missing! :wink:
I've recently tried a set of Saravaz 520R's on another guitar and I really like them. I'm guessing they're medium tension. I like the feel and the volume(?). I've had an affinity for Augustine reds in the past. I have a pack of those laying around as well as a pack of Pro-Arte EJ46s. Not sure what's on the guitar now. I think some experimentation is in order. And yes, thanks for pointing out the subform on strings. I'm going there next.

Adam

Post by Adam » Fri May 25, 2018 11:17 pm

I've played Players. To be clear, I'm talking about the nicer elevated neck version with ports. Whether they are better than Cordoba C10 will depend on the specific instruments. They are all different. I'd get the Cordoba for a lot less if buying sight unseen.

I ended up going upmarket into the $3k range, but in the $2k range the Player isn't bad. I'd personally probably get an Alhambra 9P at that price point though.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:34 pm

I played a New World Munich for a number of years, and was very happy with it. It was bright, reasonably rich, and, after a bridge adjustment (with Kenny's help), fairly easy to play. I sold it after buying a Signature from a seller her on Delcamp.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”