Buying a New Classical Guitar

Michael.N.

Re: Buying a New Classical Guitar

Post by Michael.N. » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:55 pm

msil63 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:23 am
A Canadian luthier refered Christian to me and I touched based with him. However, I have not played one of his guitars. My issue with buying a guitar from Christian is that his instruments may be just great, but should I decide to resell it I don’t think I’ll be able get any amount that will come close to what I’d pay for.
That applies to virtually every living luthier. If you want to minimise the risk you will have to buy a used guitar, even then you may still lose money on it although almost certainly less than the amount you would lose if buying a new guitar. At the end of the day the value of a guitar is in the playing and the pleasure it gives to the person playing it. If you are good enough it might give pleasure to others as well.
Historicalguitars.

msil63

Post by msil63 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:39 am

Hi Kimba,

Alright and thanks.

Sincerely,
M

John Ray
Luthier

Post by John Ray » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 am

I agree completely with Michael's comments. It is sad but true that, like cars, guitars depreciate as soon as you drive them off the lot.

I often reccommend to players that they buy from a shop because they can try out so many different instruments and get some professional advice. However, in the case of 2nd hand, the shops can't afford to sell as cheaply as a private individual so they might be out of the question for you.
John Ray
blog Great guitars of the past
facebook John Ray guitars

caneti3

Post by caneti3 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:44 am

Miguel, IMHO a 2nd hand guitar is the best option for sure!
Good luck

/ Ferran

richtm

Post by richtm » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:26 am

Agreed - in fact only my Andreas Kirmse is a new one. There are no used Kirmse guitars on the market. The others I all bought used and I am happy with them since years. As mentioned above to better understand sound! and playability! You should once had the instrument played before you buy it. I would say not neccessarily the particular instrument, but the model (e.g. Bernabe Especial). This is difficult, but there are some big sellers (mentioned above, for Germany: Siccas Guitars in Karlsruhe, Wegner in Cologne,..). Craftsmanship for some colleagues is also a factor...
Regards from Germany
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ernest Köröskenyi 1977 Cedar top; Pauline Bernabe Especial 2007 Spruce top, 2012 Cedar top; Andreas Kirmse 2017 Cedar Double-top

msil63

Post by msil63 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for the advice and support.
After all this “quest for a classical guitar”, many of you may feel disappointed but it looks as if my entre in classical guitar will be through a simple Kremona, model Solea. Plays beautifully, the sound is very good and depreciation will not be huge because it is not a very expensive instrument.
No luthiers involved until I start filling halls with my recitals... :))
Again, thank you all for helping me.
Sincerely,
Miguel

CT20

Post by CT20 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:07 pm

Congratulations! That's a very adequate first instrument...and with money available for lessons.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:41 pm

msil63 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:14 pm
...After all this “quest for a classical guitar”, many of you may feel disappointed but it looks as if my entre in classical guitar will be through a simple Kremona, model Solea. Plays beautifully, the sound is very good ...
Excellent choice, and it is a guitar that you can grow into as you learn, since it is well above an entry-level instrument. Enjoy!

msil63

Post by msil63 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:08 pm

Thanks to both comments on my Solea! Done!

Sincerely
M

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:55 pm

My friend used to be a Kremona dealer and he had these and, that is a very good 1st classical guitar. There won’t be the need for an upgrade for a long time and, as previously suggested, money left over for lessons.

kimba

Post by kimba » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Excelent choise!!!! Very nice guitar to learn!! Enjoy!!

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 pm

I've played Kremonas and thought they sounded great, if their neck profile works for you. Definitely better (to me) than the Cordobas I've played.

eno

Post by eno » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:54 am

Yes, Kremonas are very good compared to many other brands in in this price range. Kremona was actually my first guitar some 50 yrs ago...
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”