Guitar Shopping Advice Needed

GuitarsWeB

Re: Guitar Shopping Advice Needed

Post by GuitarsWeB » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:06 am

I always thought the scale length difference between a 650mm scale guitar and a 660mm scale guitar was 10mm. You learn something new every day

From the 1st fret to the 6th fret, the difference is about 1.2mm. That's where you do most of your playing with long stretches. The 10mm difference between the two scales means really nothing. Am I wrong?

astro64

Post by astro64 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:07 am

GuitarsWeB wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:06 am
I always thought the scale length difference between a 650mm scale guitar and a 660mm scale guitar was 10mm. You learn something new every day

From the 1st fret to the 6th fret, the difference is about 1.2mm. That's where you do most of your playing with long stretches. The 10mm difference between the two scales means really nothing. Am I wrong?
Yes, it would be closer to 2.5mm or so. About 1/4th of the scale length difference, not 1/8th.

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:30 am

Yes, it would be closer to 2.5mm or so. About 1/4th of the scale length difference, not 1/8th.
Don’t think so. I just measured and it’s less than 2mm. 3mm is 1/8"

astro64

Post by astro64 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:35 am

Ok, to be a bit more accurate. The distance from the nut to the 5th fret is 1/4th of the scale length. The distance of 1st fret to 6th fret is a bit less. But it is more than 1.2mm. The scale length is twice the distance from nut to the 12th fret. Not the distance from nut to saddle. The saddle is set back a bit more for tuning compensation and that setback should not be counted in measuring the scale length.

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:44 am

James Lister, UK luthier, back last winter made a post showing the difference. It was less than 2mm. I just measured, it looks like about 1.5mm. I’ll see if I can find out the exact distance.

SleepyheadRooster

Post by SleepyheadRooster » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:40 am

Used GV Rubio Estudios will likely be in your price range. I have a cedar/PE and love it.
Best,
Chuck

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:38 pm

We were figuring 1st to 5th fret, not 6th. So, the difference between 650mm vs 640mm, 1st to 5th fret is 1.9mm or about 1/16 “ I stand corrected, 1st to 6th is a hair over 2mm...I think. Point being in all this...don’t pass up a good guitar because it’s a 660mm or 650mm scale. If I had a problem playing a 650mm or longer, just have someone make you a nice 613.5mm scale. That’s a 650mm capoed at the first fret. I know a few people who have gone down to shorter scales like 630mm. I feel you lose something with that short of a scale. Plus, I just don’t like the feel to the right hand.
I played one of Dave Schramm’s Hausers that was a 613.5 and it was quite nice. Kenny Hill also makes a “Leprechaun” scale guitar.

cefyn

Post by cefyn » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:21 pm

I'd try to find an up and coming young luthier - you could just about find one in your price range - as well as supporting the great art of guitar luthiery, you might end up with a fantastic investment.

Cef.
1983 Robert Cross Spruce & IRW

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:28 pm

cefyn wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:21 pm
I'd try to find an up and coming young luthier - you could just about find one in your price range - as well as supporting the great art of guitar luthiery, you might end up with a fantastic investment.

Cef.
Despite the fact that I am an amateur builder myself, I disagree with this. The OP seems to be a beginner or relative beginner, otherwise he/she would not have asked the question. In this circumstance I doubt if he or she has the experience to judge. It is very easy for someone to put up a great website calling themselves a luthier right form the very first guitar - by the time the person have built 5 or 6 the site can look impressive if they have been diligent with photography. The site can be impressive and the descriptions eloquent but only an experienced player who has played many guitars will actually be able to judge the instruments. As an amateur builder I would prefer not to sell to inexperienced players.

I think there is actually a difference between the UK and USA markets in this instance. A bigger percentage of new entrants in the UK will have a formal training - 3 years in some instrument making college.

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:44 pm

Despite the fact that I am an amateur builder myself, I disagree with this. The OP seems to be a beginner or relative beginner, otherwise he/she would not have asked the question. In this circumstance I doubt if he or she has the experience to judge. It is very easy for someone to put up a great website calling themselves a luthier right form the very first guitar - by the time the person have built 5 or 6 the site can look impressive if they have been diligent with photography. The site can be impressive and the descriptions eloquent but only an experienced player who has played many guitars will actually be able to judge the instruments. As an amateur builder I would prefer not to sell to inexperienced players.
DITTO! I second your statements. Find yourself an Oribe Pro-A for under $3000. Take a look at David Schramm’s, Kenny Hill or Tim McCoy’s instruments.

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:49 pm

Here’s a chart, you’ll have to do the math.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ayaeau

Post by ayaeau » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Hi Everybody, and thanks for all the messages and help with this. I went with the flow, and with my gut (after looking at a bunch of guitars online, and listening to them too) and went with the Sobel #12.

I play with fingertips, no nails. I like to get a nice "round," mellow tone and I'm working on some standard Bach and Sor pieces, and a few "old chestnut" transcriptions--Satie, Beethoven, etc.

I would describe myself as an intermediate player, but I've cleared some time and space for myself to dig in and work on classical guitar, and I'm dreaming big...

Thanks again.

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:18 pm

ayaeau wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:12 pm
Hi Everybody, and thanks for all the messages and help with this. I went with the flow, and with my gut (after looking at a bunch of guitars online, and listening to them too) and went with the Sobel #12.

I play with fingertips, no nails. I like to get a nice "round," mellow tone and I'm working on some standard Bach and Sor pieces, and a few "old chestnut" transcriptions--Satie, Beethoven, etc.

I would describe myself as an intermediate player, but I've cleared some time and space for myself to dig in and work on classical guitar, and I'm dreaming big...

Thanks again.
Wonderful news...

Fred
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Ramirez 4NE, IRW \ Cedar 2011

dta721

Post by dta721 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:06 pm

ayaeau wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Paraphrasing Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

:D

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”