Esteve Guitar

Ronald James

Esteve Guitar

Post by Ronald James » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:15 pm

Good day: I am new to Classical Guitar and am not sure if this is the appropriate venue for my questions. I have an opportunity to purchase a pristine Esteve 1GR07 that was manufactured in 1998 for $400.00. This price includes a hard case. This particular guitar is no longer listed for sale by the Esteve Company. My limited research indicates that this guitar has a solid cedar top with rosewood back and sides, that is most likely laminate. I am not sure about the solid wood vs laminate question here. Do any of you have any experience with this guitar? What are your thoughts about the Esteve brand in general? Thank you, Ronald James

Gary Macleod

Re: Esteve Guitar

Post by Gary Macleod » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:20 pm

Esteve guitars are great, I haven’t played the one you’re looking at but I’ve played a few of their higher models , here’s 3 different models I’ve had

MichaelT

Post by MichaelT » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:53 pm

While slightly apples-to-oranges, I have a 1997 Esteve 1GR3E. Solid back and sides, no laminate, and punches above its class than the price suggests. It was a great value for me, though your mileage may vary, and definitely give your local one a try before you buy.

Ronald James

Post by Ronald James » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:14 pm

Michael, thank you for your post. I have gone ahead and purchased the guitar. I am purchasing it over the internet, so only have a few pictures to look at, and it looks unblemished. So far everyone on this site and another which I just joined have nothing but good things to say about Esteve guitars.

Be well, Ronald James

Podobin

Post by Podobin » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:59 am

Don't think you will be disappointed with Esteve. They have also done contract building for other big makers in the past, and I believe recently some of the Berbabe guitars were made by Esteve under contract. Makers like Esteve, Camps and Antonio Picado are very good values for the money. Hope you enjoy it!

MichaelT

Post by MichaelT » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:29 pm

Ronald, come on back when you've had your Esteve for a while and report on the sound. Would love your thoughts!

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”