Cuong Luthier

dtoh

Re: Cuong Luthier

Post by dtoh » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:17 am

Visited Cuong's shop a couple of days ago to order another guitar. Surprised as the waiting list was 9 months. Decided to try a lattice braced guitar this time.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:23 am

dtoh wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:17 am
Visited Cuong's shop a couple of days ago to order another guitar. Surprised as the waiting list was 9 months. Decided to try a lattice braced guitar this time.
What country are you in? Is CITES a concern getting the guitar from Vietnam into your country?. I know that certain European makers aren’t sending guitars that require permiting outside the EU, for example.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:54 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:23 am
dtoh wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:17 am
What country are you in? Is CITES a concern getting the guitar from Vietnam into your country?. I know that certain European makers aren’t sending guitars that require permiting outside the EU, for example.
Good question. I travel a lot and keep guitars in a few countries. I was planning to take the Cuong to the U.S. so was a bit worried about CITES. However, I ended up buying a used Lennie Chambers in the U.S. last week so I'm going to take the Cuong to Tokyo instead. I don't think CITES will be an issue, but the Japanese authorities are not keen on itinerant musicians (which I wish I was but am not) working in Japan without a visa so I'm thinking about how to deal with that. A brief performance may be necessary to disabuse them of the notion that I might be receiving compensation for playing. :D

That said, I think Cuong ships quite a few guitars overseas so I suspect he's familiar with the required documentation.

precsmo

Post by precsmo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:36 am

I can dearly say that one's preference to like or not on a particular guitar tone, that is not just personal preference as a factor. The guitar player's technique and nails is a world more crucial factor than anything. I seldom trust anything at all on recordings to evaluate a guitar for so many reasons. I can only say that, many guitars are good guitars, even if the guitar has lousy volume, it can still sound pretty darn nice with proper right hand technique and nails. Some recordings or YouTube reviews, that particular guitar sounded so darn nice, but in reality, it is all the tribute to that player that make it sound so good in the recording than a much better guitar played by a lousy player.

precsmo

Post by precsmo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:38 am

my point is :) Cuong guitar can be a darn good guitar for the price, but it is still the buyer to try and decide :)

dta721

Post by dta721 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:51 pm

precsmo wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:36 am
I can dearly say that one's preference to like or not on a particular guitar tone, that is not just personal preference as a factor. The guitar player's technique and nails is a world more crucial factor than anything. I seldom trust anything at all on recordings to evaluate a guitar for so many reasons. I can only say that, many guitars are good guitars, even if the guitar has lousy volume, it can still sound pretty darn nice with proper right hand technique and nails. Some recordings or YouTube reviews, that particular guitar sounded so darn nice, but in reality, it is all the tribute to that player that make it sound so good in the recording than a much better guitar played by a lousy player.
I agree that guitars do differ, but more importantly it's the players who make the most out of them!
For the same reason, I am pretty sure my GAS is now out of gas :) as I may be a perpetual student who never outplays my current guitars!

precsmo

Post by precsmo » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:59 pm

I agree that guitars do differ, but more importantly it's the players who make the most out of them!
For the same reason, I am pretty sure my GAS is now out of gas :) as I may be a perpetual student who never outplays my current guitars!
[/quote]

I double 2nd you :) There is a reason why many do not like the sound of Smallman yet JW pioneered a lattice guitar to the world. JW is able to fully utilize the whole range of dynamic range of the Smallman, which traditional CG him finds restricting him hugely. His nails and plucking technique really squeeze the whole range of dynamic from the lattice which help him a lot for presenting his play to the max. But a good guitar will sound worse from poor techniques and nails. My 2 cents :)

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Fri May 17, 2019 10:34 am

Picked up my second Cuong two days ago. This time a lattice (Smallman style) model. A couple of observations.

1. Beautifully made.
2. Big sound (as expected) - projection and sustain. The dynamic range is quite amazing but a little hard to control.
3. Well balanced across all strings and all up and down the entire fretboard.
4. A little brighter sound than the traditional (fan braced) model I bought from him a few years ago.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”