Wood ID - Back and sides

Tstrembu

Wood ID - Back and sides

Post by Tstrembu » Fri May 13, 2016 3:51 am

I recently purchased a 1999 Gabriel Hernandez "Rodriguez" model from a big box retail shop. My assumption was that back and sides are Palo Escrito, given its appearance and the fact that the guitar was built in Paracho, Mexico. The sales associate said it is Honduran rosewood. The manager said it is "Spanish" rosewood. I figured that he must have meant Mexican rosewood, and I believe that is another term for Palo Escrito.

I really love how the guitar plays and sounds, and I plan on keeping it no matter the type of b/s wood. I also think that b/s are rather attractive. I'd just like to know in order to satisfy my curiosity :)
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marcus Dominelli
Luthier

Re: Wood ID - Back and sides

Post by Marcus Dominelli » Fri May 13, 2016 4:08 am

Beautiful looking wood. I'm not sure what it is. There are a few different varieties of rosewood (dalbergia) that grow in Mexico.
I have never used palo escrito.
Honduran rosewood usually has a pinkish color to it. So I don't think this is honduran.

Chris Sobel
Luthier

Post by Chris Sobel » Fri May 13, 2016 4:43 am

Nice looking. I'm not familiar enough with Honduran to comment. It does look like some sets I've seen, but it is very tan. Lots of rosewoods out there...
CE Sobel Guitars

Eric Reid
Luthier

Post by Eric Reid » Fri May 13, 2016 4:58 am

I would want to see a sharply focussed close up of the grain to be sure, but I think that is palo escrito. Most of the builders in Paracho prefer to build with palo escrito, and with good reason. It has a wonderful sound, and it is more stable than many of the rosewoods. Gabriel Hernandez is a friend of mine, and a very fine builder. Congratulations on your purchase!

simonm

Post by simonm » Fri May 13, 2016 1:01 pm

Whatever it is, I like it.

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:06 pm

I'll go with rosewood, probably palo escrito.

Edit: just saw Eric's post. +1
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Fri May 13, 2016 5:21 pm

Looks like Palo Escrito to me.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S

Tstrembu

Post by Tstrembu » Fri May 13, 2016 7:16 pm

Thank you all for your input and compliments. I greatly appreciate it. She is a beauty, indeed! :D

Per Eric's request, I have attempted to get a few close ups of the grain. I did my best, but I am somewhat limited by my camera and photography skills (or lack thereof):
7.jpg
8.JPG
9.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tstrembu

Post by Tstrembu » Fri May 13, 2016 7:24 pm

Eric Reid wrote:...Gabriel Hernandez is a friend of mine, and a very fine builder...
It is exciting to hear that you know Gabriel Hernandez! I really couldn't find much information on him other than this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNOALQCzzB4

blevinsjake

Post by blevinsjake » Fri May 13, 2016 10:11 pm

Palo

blevinsjake

Post by blevinsjake » Fri May 13, 2016 10:11 pm

Palo

Eric Reid
Luthier

Post by Eric Reid » Fri May 13, 2016 10:12 pm

Tstrembu wrote:Thank you all for your input and compliments. I greatly appreciate it. She is a beauty, indeed! :D

Per Eric's request, I have attempted to get a few close ups of the grain. I did my best, but I am somewhat limited by my camera and photography skills (or lack thereof):
That is definitely palo escrito.

Eric Reid
Luthier

Post by Eric Reid » Sun May 15, 2016 3:25 am

Tstrembu wrote:
Eric Reid wrote:...Gabriel Hernandez is a friend of mine, and a very fine builder...
It is exciting to hear that you know Gabriel Hernandez! I really couldn't find much information on him other than this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNOALQCzzB4
That's a great video--it captures a lot of Gabriel's ideas, experience, and methods. He has studied with Jose Romanillos, and exhibited his guitars in the U.S., Mexico, and Spain. His hand skills, and knowledge of classical guitar tradition and modern practice are second to none. His guitars are sold through several prominent dealers. Search for: Gabriel Hernandez Jimenez guitar.

(I have no financial connection with Gabriel. He's my friend, and I wish him well.)

Tstrembu

Post by Tstrembu » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:08 pm

Eric Reid wrote:
Tstrembu wrote:
That's a great video--it captures a lot of Gabriel's ideas, experience, and methods. He has studied with Jose Romanillos, and exhibited his guitars in the U.S., Mexico, and Spain. His hand skills, and knowledge of classical guitar tradition and modern practice are second to none. His guitars are sold through several prominent dealers. Search for: Gabriel Hernandez Jimenez guitar.

(I have no financial connection with Gabriel. He's my friend, and I wish him well.)
I was initially quite impressed with this guitar and only have grown to love it even more over the last few weeks. As far as tone, volume and dynamics, it holds its own against my teacher's Steven Walter. Playability is also excellent. In fact, I didn't realize that it was a 664/54 until I decided to measure it!

Tstrembu

Post by Tstrembu » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:11 pm

If y'all are up for it, I would like some help with another one. This is a '91 Benito Huipe. The seller purchased from an estate sale and had no background information. I am thinking it is East Indian Rosewood for the back and sides.

[img]
FullSizeRender%201.jpg
[/img]

[img]
FullSizeRender%202.jpg
[/img]

[img]
FullSizeRender%203.jpg
[/img]

[img]
FullSizeRender%204.jpg
[/img]

[img]
FullSizeRender%205.jpg
[/img]
Last edited by Tstrembu on Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”