Best place to buy a new (Bernabé) guitar

eno

Re: Best place to buy a new (Bernabé) guitar

Post by eno » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:01 am

I have collected quite a few guitars and I've also tried a lot, including Hauser, Ramirez and Bouchet. I may be biased due to my personal tonal taste but none of the guitars I ever played compare to my most favorite Bernabe India. I play it almost every day and its sound just blows me away and puts me into a trance. There is plenty of fantastic guitars but Bernabe is totally magic.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

tmblweed1

Post by tmblweed1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:52 am

that's great, hold on to that one...
As soon as you see something, you already start to intellectualize it. As soon as you intellectualize something, it is no longer what you saw.
Shunryu Suzuki-roshi 1905 1971

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks for your testimony tmblweed! The fact that you put aside your other guitars for the Bernabe's is stuff I like reading about. :)

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:45 pm

Bernabe has authorized dealers. In the US, if someone writes to Paulino he forwards the email to me. If you travel to Madrid, you may be able to deal with him directly-- but his pricing to dealers is such that we can generally offer the same models at about the same price you would pay in Madrid.

Zavaletas-Guitarras.com
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:48 pm

tmblweed1 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:05 am
To me the Bernabes are worth the xtra cost. I had M10 and M30, only guitars I have owned that had no wolf tones or dead spots anywhere on the fingerboard. I quit playing my other guitars after I got these.
I tried a few of the lowest range Bernabes (M5 spruce, M10 spruce & M10 cedar) a few months ago when I was in Munich, and they really sounded great - I was very taken by the sound, although not the price tag! Tried the M10's again today (back in Munich again) and they still sound rich and full of overtones. But they do cost quite a bit extra compared to other small factories'/workshops' guitars - €3599 for the cedar and €3899 for the spruce. Is it worth so much? I guess each person will have his own answer to that question. For me, it's not a yes, at least not now... (cos I've just bought an old Dieter Hopf).

tmblweed1

Post by tmblweed1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:38 pm

Sharkbait wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:48 pm
tmblweed1 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:05 am
To me the Bernabes are worth the xtra cost. I had M10 and M30, only guitars I have owned that had no wolf tones or dead spots anywhere on the fingerboard. I quit playing my other guitars after I got these.
I tried a few of the lowest range Bernabes (M5 spruce, M10 spruce & M10 cedar) a few months ago when I was in Munich, and they really sounded great - I was very taken by the sound, although not the price tag! Tried the M10's again today (back in Munich again) and they still sound rich and full of overtones. But they do cost quite a bit extra compared to other small factories'/workshops' guitars - €3599 for the cedar and €3899 for the spruce. Is it worth so much? I guess each person will have his own answer to that question. For me, it's not a yes, at least not now... (cos I've just bought an old Dieter Hopf).
I paid $3500 for the M10 here in the states and 3 grand plus a Tag Heuer watch for the M30, both brand new.
As soon as you see something, you already start to intellectualize it. As soon as you intellectualize something, it is no longer what you saw.
Shunryu Suzuki-roshi 1905 1971

Buster

Post by Buster » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:20 am

I see a recommendation to buy a 2nd hand Bernabe m20 .... there aren't any!!!

zavaletas

Post by zavaletas » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:21 am

Bernabe's models have changed. He no longer is offering the M5 or M10. See his website. http://www.paulinobernabe.com/
Not shown on his website is his 640mm model, but is available. Pricing is available from his distributors.
James, Zavaleta's La Casa de Guitarras

Buster

Post by Buster » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:22 pm

Still nothing in my search for a 2nd hand Bernabe m15/20

Buster

Post by Buster » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:55 pm

zavaletas wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:56 am
The models 5, 10, 15, and 20, up until a couple years ago, were made by a factory in Valencia to Paulino Bernabe's spec's. He is now making them in his Madrid workshop where he employs four luthiers and a couple of assistants. The quality of these models have increased. Even the model 5, is constructed entirely by qualified luthiers who work with him using the tools and techniques that traditional luthiers have long used. As Paulino explained his approach to me, "it takes almost as much time to build an estudio model as it does a top concert model (artistic decorations aside), so why waste time building a guitar of inferior materials."

He has another workshop in his home where he personally builds his PB line.

James
Do you know what year Bernabe stopped outsourcing? I’ve just bought a 2016 m20 and am interested to know where it was made.

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:57 pm

If yours was made in 2016 it was outsourced.

Buster

Post by Buster » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:55 pm

How do you know?

Podobin

Post by Podobin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:00 pm

Buying the Bernabe name, outsourced guitar. Just like much of the Ramirez line. Paying for the name.

Buster

Post by Buster » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:24 pm

Podobin wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:00 pm
Buying the Bernabe name, outsourced guitar. Just like much of the Ramirez line. Paying for the name.
What guitar do you play?

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:10 pm

I own an M5 2016 and an M50 2016. The latter was built in his workshop (I bought from a dealer in Madrid. I am currently selling it now on this forum, but I don't know if I can get such a guitar again. The former, the M5 was outsourced by the time I bought it, still an outstanding guitar. At that time it was only the M50 that was built in his workshop by his small team of luthiers. As Mr Zavaletas explains, Bernabe no longer outsources his lower models. He has discontinued the M5 and M10 and has removed production of the rest M series to his own workshop. I don't know however if 2016 was the last year for the M20 being outsourced. What I can remember is that early in 2017 I could not find any M10 anymore. Hope that helps.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”