Yamaha GC82S

Lovemyguitar

Re: Yamaha GC82S

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:16 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:26 pm
Two more short pieces to try and capture a bit of the sweetness of the trebles and a bit of tone colour variation...
I think the pieces sounded lovely, and to my ears, your guitar has a beautiful richness of tone and broad range of colours. I also listened to the Besard piece, which you seemed to play a bit more forcefully, and to my tastes, I would say that the seemingly gentler approach you took with the latter two pieces better suited the instrument and the music (but, that may just be my preference).

It is clearly an exceptional instrument, and it sounds like you are enjoying getting to know it and exploring all of its many beautiful nuances -- which is one of the great joys of playing a fine-quality spruce guitar! Thanks for sharing!

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:44 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:16 pm
Beowulf wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:26 pm
Two more short pieces to try and capture a bit of the sweetness of the trebles and a bit of tone colour variation...
I think the pieces sounded lovely, and to my ears, your guitar has a beautiful richness of tone and broad range of colours. I also listened to the Besard piece, which you seemed to play a bit more forcefully, and to my tastes, I would say that the seemingly gentler approach you took with the latter two pieces better suited the instrument and the music (but, that may just be my preference).

It is clearly an exceptional instrument, and it sounds like you are enjoying getting to know it and exploring all of its many beautiful nuances -- which is one of the great joys of playing a fine-quality spruce guitar! Thanks for sharing!
You are welcome and thanks...it was a labour of love and my first foray into recording to try and give this thread a completion. I did play the Besard more forcefully as I was trying to convey the power of "clanging" bells rolling out across Paris. It was also recorded about as near field as possible and that also added to "La Forza del Destino" character. I agree that the gentler more delicate style of the de la Halle and Corelli pieces suits the instrument well. I also think that the old adage that spruce takes time to "break in" is true. The sound is now warmer and more rounded than a year ago...the top has definitely "opened up", though my touch has also improved.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:21 pm

I now wish to dedicate my first classical guitar recording ever: Campanae Parisiences (The Bells of Paris) by Jean-Baptiste Besard, 1617, to Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. A very sad day, heart-breaking and a great loss!

Douglas

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:40 pm

P.S. It appears that the main structure and the "rosettes" survived...now on to repairs and the restoration of the top!

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:00 pm

Yes, part of the ceiling did collapse where the spire went down but all in all this was probably a relatively minor event compared to e.g. the damage to the Reims cathedral during WW1 (or was it WW2...).

Heh, if the repairs are indeed going to be paid for by the Americans and Chinese as I heard, the mastodont will have to change her name to "Votre Dame" :twisted: :arrow:

The macropresident cancelled his big telespeech because of the event, earning him another Charlie Hebdo frontpage:
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

isleepinabed

Post by isleepinabed » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:04 pm

I have just joined this forum but I had followed through this veritable saga since its inception as I had been a long time reader of this forum.

I admire how definitive and determined you set out to complete your collection and what a duet of guitars they are.. I loved this slow-building story.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:39 pm

isleepinabed wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:04 pm
I have just joined this forum but I had followed through this veritable saga since its inception as I had been a long time reader of this forum.

I admire how definitive and determined you set out to complete your collection and what a duet of guitars they are.. I loved this slow-building story.
I am myself amazed at the journey and have been perhaps inspired by the saga of my namesake Beowulf. His story may be found in the Nowell Codex...all 3,182 lines of it. This thread must be getting close... :lol: :mrgreen:

One can tell when an instrument has a soul that resonates with yours...you just cannot stop revisiting old familiar pieces and working on new ones: Variations on Come With Me My Giselle (M. Hendrix), Home (A. York), Ground in C minor by Purcell/Croft (arr. in B minor by B. Zeliotis). On I go!

Rick Matei
Amateur luthier

Post by Rick Matei » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:01 pm

Would appreciate an update on your assessment of the Yamaha GC82S. Has it shown an overall improvement in tone and play ability?

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:34 pm

rmatei wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:01 pm
Would appreciate an update on your assessment of the Yamaha GC82S. Has it shown an overall improvement in tone and play ability?
Yup...but I have also become more accustomed to the instrument and adapted my playing style to suit its voice and responsiveness. It usually takes me two years to get really familiar with a car and then I can settle in, relax and simply enjoy its style of road handling and, "get in the groove"...similar with the GC82S. The increased familiarity and playing facility allows me to draw more from the instrument. Nevertheless, I would say that the tone has become richer and more harmonically complex, and a certain "brashness/tonal whiteness" that I was aware of in the beginning has completely disappeared. I quite simply love the G82S and my playing is improving markedly.

I wouldn't say that the intonation is perfect in all keys and in all positions, but that is quite easy to adjust and not unusual. I also have the sense that I have become more sensitive to tuning.

I have resolved my sharply curved (at the edges) fingernails with careful filing/smoothing and my trusty soldering iron and can now produce the tone I am looking for without any struggle whatsoever.

The GC82S has a different body size and scale compared to my GC-10 and I have had to work on my body position when playing and the angle of the instrument. This is a subtle, but very important aspect of playing the classical guitar and for me getting it just right is crucial. I was beginning to notice left knee discomfort using the same position (I have the "Original Guitar Chair) and foot rest height that I have used for decades. This may also be influenced by the fact that with aging we tend to lose ~0.5" of height every 10 years after the age of 40 due to compression of the spine...I am roughly 1.0" shorter than I was in my 40s. I also noticed that I was raising my left foot at the heel off the foot rest while playing...experimentation was in order.

I started using a medium size Dynarette so my feet were flat on the floor, but found that I was still raising my left foot at the heel. So, I have been adjusting other parameters: I actually raised the Guitar Chair about 1.5" and put a reverse slope on the footrest with the heel higher (4") than the toes (1.5"). This has worked wonders, my knee is no longer stressed and my playing has improved: better coordination between hands, easier shifting and improved playing in the mid to upper registers of the fret board.

All this is to update the questions of playability of the GC82S: a particular instrument may require different body and instrument orientation and if one likes the tone of a guitar, but finds playing it troublesome...don't assume you cannot resolve the issues. :casque:

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:58 am

So... you've finally been able to justify the acquisition of a 2nd, slightly different couch, too? ;)
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:49 pm

RJVB wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:58 am
So... you've finally been able to justify the acquisition of a 2nd, slightly different couch, too? ;)
Only after cutting up and splitting a full cord of wood for our stoves...on a Sunday! :mrgreen:

Dreamtonight

Post by Dreamtonight » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:19 am

Dear all,
Compared with Yamaha GC82S, what about the Yamaha GC22S?
I want to buy completely new one.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:14 pm

Dreamtonight wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:19 am
Dear all,
Compared with Yamaha GC82S, what about the Yamaha GC22S?
I want to buy completely new one.
The GC22S/C is at the lower end of Yamaha's GC series and is made in China (GC82S/C is Yamaha's top instrument made at the Custom Shop in Hamamatsu, Japan). The two cannot really be compared, however the GC22S is a decent, well built guitar. Do a search for "Yamaha GC22" and you will find plenty to read. Here are a couple of links to start:

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=121072

viewtopic.php?t=114957

Dreamtonight

Post by Dreamtonight » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:43 am

Thanks very much!

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:38 pm

Dreamtonight wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:43 am
Thanks very much!
You are welcome...if possible, play a few and pick the GC22S you like the best.

:mrgreen:

Douglas

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”