Dowina Classical Guitars

Two Left Hands

Dowina Classical Guitars

Post by Two Left Hands » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:31 pm

I am drawing up my list of affordable all wooden Classical Guitars and currently have models by Cordoba, Yamaha and Hanika as possibilities (around the £1K mark maximum) before venturing out and about to try these models as some trips will require a fair bit of mileage.

A new contender has emerged in the little known but very impressive looking Dowina Guitars made in Slovakia. There is not a lot of footage about them but what I have seen looks interesting. The steel stringed versions have more coverage and look great value for money so I presume the Classical versions will be the same.

Most of the videos or reviews I have read and seen seem to be by Irish based players, has anyone tried one of these Classical Guitars?
Yamaha C40

es335

Re: Dowina Classical Guitars

Post by es335 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:50 pm

A big music store in Cologne is offering their steel string line up to 1.5 k€ which is at least one good recommondation but the classic guitar line on their website seems very limited to maximum advance beginner guitars up to 350€ which is supposedly not what you are looking for!?

Two Left Hands

Post by Two Left Hands » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:34 pm

There are some lovely Italian Spruce Classical Guitars that would appear to be around the 1K mark (using the steel models as a guide). The only video is from an Irish music shop but the guitar sounds fantastic.
Their is also a couple of Eastern European videos with nice sounding guitars but my translation skills are sadly lacking!
Yamaha C40

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:51 am

Couldn’t find the Irish music shop video but the Russian reviews are about either model CL555 or CL999. Please check their eShop and you will find that the recent top model listed there is the Dowina Danubius CL-ds, with solid spruce from the Dolomites in Italy, supposedly laminated rosewood back and sides, ebony fingerboard, bone nut and saddle for 354 € which is a bargain anyway.

But there is no such range as for their steel string acoustics with the three model lines Antique, Vintage and Master from 312 € up to 1599 €!?

Maybe you should contact them direct?! :wink:

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:50 pm

You might want to add Kremona to your list. I liked the ones I played more than comparable Cordobas, and GC carries them, so they are around to try.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:41 am

I also just discovered this brand through a rather raving review in the Anderton's Acoustic Paradiso series. That one only compares non-classical acoustics (but is interesting because it pits identical-but-for-the-cedar-or-spruce tops guitars).
There's this video (from the brand themselves?) which includes a classical (or at least nylon-stringed) guitar:

The current top model for nylon strings seems to be the Granadillo HC (probably more of a hybrid):
http://dowina.eu/category/guitars/granadillo/
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Bolink baroque violin (Hilversum, 1982)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

isleepinabed

Post by isleepinabed » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:29 pm

Two Left Hands,

You can surely find affordable, sub-£1000 made in Spain guitars in UK stores. Camps, Burguet, Esteve should all have offerings. I'm afraid you might have to go up to London from where you are though.

I haven't played or even heard a Dowina classical but I'd be a bit wary of a factory acoustic guitar maker building classical guitars. One has to say that like most internet hype, the Dowina steel string guitars are good guitars, but they're especially good "for the money". Better than more expensive guitars? It's debatable, and might depend on the individual guitar (which is a good thing you're going to set out and play them in the shops).

Of the other 3 you mention I'd favour the Hanika, I've been tempted by it's maple backed 50 model.

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:33 pm

What's wrong with "good for the money", if you're on a budget? Are you implying that it's easier to make a good non-classical acoustic than a classical acoustic guitar?

What you have here is a not-so-big factory that's been in business long enough, and that is probably still small enough that you can expect a certain individual pride in what they do from the people working there - and they're a rather proud people there (not working for a foreign employer either).
Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator converted to non-metal strings (China, 2018?)
Formerly: Brian Cohen baroque violin (London, 1985), Nadegini modern violin (Paris, 1924)

isleepinabed

Post by isleepinabed » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:35 pm

Not at all. Just said so because their specialty are steel string acoustics, and making classical guitars isn't . It's the same way why I wouldn't recommend an Alhambra steel string.

The good for the money relates to their steel strings. They are good guitars for the money. But Internet hype can have you believe they're better than standard series Martins, Furchs, Lowden even.. I was just saying you do end up getting what you pay for, or a little bit more. But not thousands more

RJVB

Post by RJVB » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:27 pm

Does it say anywhere that there specialty is steel string acoustics? One could deduce that from the fact there are so many more such models, or that they have basically no higher end classical guitars. But isn't that just reflect the number of common classical guitar models and demand (if most classical players will look for the usual big names when they have the budget for what a higher end classical Dowina would cost)?
In the end I think that none of their instruments benefits from many exciting and highly innovative design approaches outside maybe the choice of woods. But no one is asking for that either, I suppose.

I hope the OP has been able to make a decision since s/he posted; if not I seem to recall that Admira could be worth looking into to, esp. their A20 model.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”