torn between Yamaha CG142sh and Takamine GC5

Machete

torn between Yamaha CG142sh and Takamine GC5

Post by Machete » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:43 pm

My options are

- yamaha cg412sh which costs $280, with spruce top, but nato back, side and neck. Rosewood fingerboard
- Takamine gc5, it costs $330 with spruce top, rosewood fingerboard but has rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck

this makes the takamine a solid guitar all around whereas the yamaha has that nato wood

I havent found any at guitar stores, yamaha has lower action I think

here is a video of the takamine gc5 cutaway version vs the yamaha cg122 which the same as cg412 but it doesn't have a glossy finish top which may make a slight difference in tone

Beowulf

Re: torn between Yamaha CG142sh and Takamine GC5

Post by Beowulf » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:10 pm

The Yamaha sounds more balanced and resonant with better bass; the Takamine sounds lighter with a greater mid-range emphasis. At least that 's a quick and dirty assessment from the comparison.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Machete

Post by Machete » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:37 am

The only reason I'm considering the takamine is because it has rosewood back, sides and beck, wouldn't this make it a complete solid guitar?

The yamaha has that nato which is some wood that as far as I know is not solid material

I like the sound of yamaha better and it comes with lower action

I wish they offered a cutaway without being electroacoustic, all that bumps the price too much, you pay like $500 for a guitar that is actually worth $300 in non electro acosutic non cutaway form.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:10 am

At this price level I would emphasize the sound and playability that you prefer over side, back and neck wood. I do not know if the Takamine sides and back are laminated? If you can try one on approval, that may make your choice easier.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:58 am

I had a very quick look at a couple of web sites. The spec for the Takamine has been changed a bit so I'm not sure which wood you would get. They say on that site "Black Walnut" back and sides. They don't say "solid", and at this price I would expect it to be a laminate. If it doesn't say "solid" then its not. Same for the Yamaha. Nato is a proper wood, just a bit cheaper, still laminated.
I think we have all done this, try to guess how good a guitar is by looking at the spec. Its just a guess.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”