Hirade H8

Weaver

Hirade H8

Post by Weaver » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:37 pm

I would like to hear any opinions/experiences on 1993 Hirade H8. Reportedly in mint condition, price 1500.00. Thanks

GuitarsWeB

Re: Hirade H8

Post by GuitarsWeB » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:31 pm

Find an older Hirade Model 8, 1980-85
Last edited by GuitarsWeB on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dmitrypey

Post by Dmitrypey » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:11 am

Too expensive.
These guitars are OK.
For that kind of money, maybe a tad more, you can get a Kohno or Nakade.
Look around more.

OldPotter

Post by OldPotter » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:50 am

Decent guitar, neatly made and pretty good sound. One sold on reverb in 2016 for 760 USD. That's the sort of price I was thinking of.
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:39 pm

If it was a Mass Hirade Master Arte Eight, the price would have been great though :)

/Jon
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2016 - Pete Beer

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

GerryM

Post by GerryM » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:00 pm

You can do a lot better. I just received a 1988 H8 yesterday from Guitar Center Houston of all places. When I received it (sight unseen but with GC's great return policy) I discovered it was a Master Arte model, signed by the luthier (cannot decipher his signature but it has the same signature as shown on the one in Reverb). It was $749 plus tax and shipping, $831 total. It in near mint condition with just a pencil point sized ding on the side of the fretboard about the second fret. A little CA glue will make that invisible.

It is a great guitar but some electric guitar idiot set it up with a too-low action (2 mm on 6th string at 12th fret!) so I will make a taller saddle today. It has a slight buzz on the second fret of the third string. Just enough to decrease the sustain and make it irritating. Surprising, it plays buzz-free except for that. Much better to have a too low action than too high! Easy to fix.

The prices of the H8 are all over the map.

Edit:

I have been playing it for a little over a week and can give a better impression of its abilities. This guitar had not been played much and despite being over 30 years old it was like breaking in a brand new guitar. It went from rather quiet and subdued sounding to a much louder and more open sound. More piano-like than my Loriente Marieta but not as refined or quite as loud. The spruce top is sounding better every day but different than cedar. The bracing appears to be similar to the Kohno pattern which may be partly responsible for its sound.

I made the taller saddle but it still has low action (2.75 mm on the 6th at the 12th fret) as I was limited by the 10mm height of the bone blank. This is actually very nice for playing and I cannot make it buzz. A little superglue did make the ding on the neck invisible without a magnifier.

Overall it is a very nice guitar and plays and sounds excellent. It is not, however a Luthier made one which costs three times as much and doesn't sound quite that good. But compared to a $1500 new guitar it is very competitive.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”