Post by Realstaff » Sun May 19, 2019 6:09 pm

Great thanks, will have a look.

ajguitar

Re: Alhambra Mengual y Margarit C Series

Post by ajguitar » Sun May 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Realstaff wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:09 pm
Great thanks, will have a look.
No problem. It’s a really nice guitar and has very good projection due to double back on the M20. Tried the M15 as well, is quite a big step up.

Realstaff

Post by Realstaff » Sun May 19, 2019 6:24 pm

Yes, I asked Stafford and they said the m20 had better projection than the m15 and a second hand Carillo Gabriella 2 with lattice bracing.

ajguitar

Post by ajguitar » Sun May 19, 2019 6:27 pm

Realstaff wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:24 pm
Yes, I asked Stafford and they said the m20 had better projection than the m15 and a second hand Carillo Gabriella 2 with lattice bracing.
Interesting. Certainly is a very good guitar and has a warm sound. I went with the cedar top, altough the spruce did sound still quite warm.

Trev

Post by Trev » Sun May 19, 2019 7:57 pm

ajguitar wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:07 pm
Realstaff wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:02 pm
Sounds good, where did you buy yours , I think Stafford guitar have the best deals ?
I got it from Guitarras De Luthier in Madrid. They have a much wider range than Stafford, altough not much cheaper.
that's interesting , did you have the guitars at home to try or did you visit the shop ?
Trev
Jose Antonio Lagunar 2017
Alvarez Yairi 1981
Takamine Hirade H20

ajguitar

Post by ajguitar » Sun May 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Trev wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:57 pm
ajguitar wrote:
Realstaff wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:02 pm
Sounds good, where did you buy yours , I think Stafford guitar have the best deals ?
I got it from Guitarras De Luthier in Madrid. They have a much wider range than Stafford, altough not much cheaper.
that's interesting , did you have the guitars at home to try or did you visit the shop ?
Trev
I tried them in the shop. I tried the M15, M20, Lagunar top Concert model, Jesus Bellido and a few others. M20 has a much warmer tone than the others and projected very well.

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Mon May 20, 2019 11:31 am

I do not wish to contradict what ajguitar has said. After all, he did it the right way, tried in person the guitars and chose the one that sounded best to him. This is the only way to go actually if you can avail yourself of a visit to a guitar shop. I quite understand his choice, me myself having 2 Bernabes. You cannot easily beat these guitars. I have decided to keep my M50 since I am totally satisfied with what it gives me. But Lagunar guitars are also worth giving a try as well, it all comes down to personal taste after all. Regards.

Realstaff

Post by Realstaff » Mon May 20, 2019 11:49 am

ajguitar wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:29 pm
Trev wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:57 pm
ajguitar wrote:

Trev
I tried them in the shop. I tried the M15, M20, Lagunar top Concert model, Jesus Bellido and a few others. M20 has a much warmer tone than the others and projected very well.
Did you try Juan Hernandez?

ajguitar

Post by ajguitar » Mon May 20, 2019 3:28 pm

Did you try Juan Hernandez?
[/quote]

No, I didn’t, but I’ve heard they’re quite good guitars.

ajguitar

Post by ajguitar » Mon May 20, 2019 4:14 pm

Nikos_Greek wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:31 am
I do not wish to contradict what ajguitar has said. After all, he did it the right way, tried in person the guitars and chose the one that sounded best to him. This is the only way to go actually if you can avail yourself of a visit to a guitar shop. I quite understand his choice, me myself having 2 Bernabes. You cannot easily beat these guitars. I have decided to keep my M50 since I am totally satisfied with what it gives me. But Lagunar guitars are also worth giving a try as well, it all comes down to personal taste after all. Regards.
Interesting. I did see your M50 for sale, very nice guitar. Have you played the M20 or M15 and if so, what did you think?

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon May 20, 2019 4:32 pm

I have the Lagunar 1a especial spruce/ebony back and sides, I acquired it this last April. Guitarras de Luthier, Madrid sent me two of Jose Antonio's guitars on a 48hr trial, the Gran Concierto, 2019, cedar/bocote double back and the 1a, 2017. Both guitars were utterly stunning both in sound and appearance. My humble first impression, the 1a was very open sound with lovely treble and had been played a lot, the gran concierto, recently from the luthier, the treble less open but the bases, very focused but much more to come. I felt the guitars were quite close in all aspects and after 2 day's I could not decide, goodness knows what I would be like in a shop. The 1a especial got a big thumbs up from the wife, so that was it.
Trev
Alvarez Yairi 1981
Takamine Hirade H20

ajguitar

Post by ajguitar » Mon May 20, 2019 5:59 pm

Trev wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:32 pm
I have the Lagunar 1a especial spruce/ebony back and sides, I acquired it this last April. Guitarras de Luthier, Madrid sent me two of Jose Antonio's guitars on a 48hr trial, the Gran Concierto, 2019, cedar/bocote double back and the 1a, 2017. Both guitars were utterly stunning both in sound and appearance. My humble first impression, the 1a was very open sound with lovely treble and had been played a lot, the gran concierto, recently from the luthier, the treble less open but the bases, very focused but much more to come. I felt the guitars were quite close in all aspects and after 2 day's I could not decide, goodness knows what I would be like in a shop. The 1a especial got a big thumbs up from the wife, so that was it.
Trev
I tried the gran concierto and was a very nice guitar also quite heavy (which is probably good thing). Very bright and focused But I personally prefare a warmer guitar and cedar top. Really good guitar and congratulations on the 1a.

Trev

Post by Trev » Mon May 20, 2019 6:13 pm

thanks aj, I would have found the shop a daunting experience but there's no way I would have passed up an opportunity to visit Madrid if that ever became possible. I understand what you're saying about the Gran Concierto and obviously at this level of instrument it really is down to personal preference. I wasn't surprised at the weight of the GC thinking with the double back but my 1a weighs very similar and at 2.43kg is easily the heaviest guitar I have. Congrats on the Bernabe, I'm sure it will be a keeper.
Trev
Alvarez Yairi 1981
Takamine Hirade H20

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Tue May 21, 2019 12:08 pm

Hello ajguitar!

I haven't played either the M15 or M20 guitars. Apart from the M50 I have an M5 as well. The latter is a very good factory guitar, M5s used to be outsourced (to Esteve?). But the m50 is as close as it gets to the Bernabe Concierto. Actually that was the reason I wanted to sell my guitar. But it is an unbelievable instrument and soundwise almost identical to the Concierto, so I have changed my mind. As you mentioned the M20 is now constructed at Bernabe's workshop in Madrid, so your guitar is made by the same people as mine, they are simply outstanding As for the claim made by some that Bernabes are overpriced, my M5 is way better in terms of craftsmanship and choice of woods (I do not enter sound characteristics in this discussion because it is quite subjective a field) from what is equivalent on the market. I have compared, for example, a Ramirez 130 Anios to my guitar, and it is a way worse guitar than mine in the above mentioned respect. I hope you enjoy your guitar for long time!

ajguitar

Post by ajguitar » Tue May 21, 2019 7:57 pm

Nikos_Greek wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:08 pm
Hello ajguitar!

I haven't played either the M15 or M20 guitars. Apart from the M50 I have an M5 as well. The latter is a very good factory guitar, M5s used to be outsourced (to Esteve?). But the m50 is as close as it gets to the Bernabe Concierto. Actually that was the reason I wanted to sell my guitar. But it is an unbelievable instrument and soundwise almost identical to the Concierto, so I have changed my mind. As you mentioned the M20 is now constructed at Bernabe's workshop in Madrid, so your guitar is made by the same people as mine, they are simply outstanding As for the claim made by some that Bernabes are overpriced, my M5 is way better in terms of craftsmanship and choice of woods (I do not enter sound characteristics in this discussion because it is quite subjective a field) from what is equivalent on the market. I have compared, for example, a Ramirez 130 Anios to my guitar, and it is a way worse guitar than mine in the above mentioned respect. I hope you enjoy your guitar for long time!
Yes they are very good guitars definitely. I’m very happy with my M20. Thanks

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”