Hernandez Guitars

Shakelford

Hernandez Guitars

Post by Shakelford » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:58 pm

First, I hope I have this topic in the right place.

My brother found a Hernandez classical guitar at a church tag sale. I don't even think the guitar was for sale, he saw it in the basement and asked one of the workers if he could purchase it. Anyway, it's either a $300 or $3,000 guitar. If it's all solid wood, then it should be up there in price. I am going to be picking up the guitar this weekend to get cleaned up, humidify and install new strings. I believe the guitar is from the 60's, i think. Is there anyway to tell if it is an all solid wood or not? I own a nice Almansa 402 with a solid top, but laminated back and sides, if the Hernandez has a brighter and clearer tone with more volume than my Almansa, will that mean the Hernandez is all solid? Thanks in advance for responding..

Regards,,Rusty

Nikos_Greek

Re: Hernandez Guitars

Post by Nikos_Greek » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:44 pm

Hello Rusty,
what makes you believe the guitar is that old? Is your guitar a Juan Hernandez? if yes, it is unlikely to be than old. If it is Juan Hernandez it must be a decent guitar though.

Shakelford

Post by Shakelford » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:25 pm

I'll get some photos posted, perhaps its form the 70's? It looks like its that old, not that its beat up. Any advice on how to get information on it? It does still show all the information on the label inside the sound hole, which i'll post a photo of also. Boy I wish it were a Juan Hernandez!

Keith

Post by Keith » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:09 am

Hernandez from the 60's? Hernandis from the 70's? It is likely a Sherry Brener guitar. Google him and the model. Tons of information about Sir Jimbo Sherry floating around the ether and in this forum. The guitars were pretty good factory made guitars from Japan but the Sherry stories are even better. Here are two threads from a few years ago about a Hernandez brand guitar significantly over priced per the receipt.

viewtopic.php?t=90606

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27827
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Shakelford

Post by Shakelford » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:31 pm

I don't believe it is that one. I will post the label on this site and hopefully somebody can shed some light on it. Stay tuned, and thanks.

Shakelford

Post by Shakelford » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:50 pm

CORRECTION: The guitar is a Hernandis, no. 2. I've done some research and discovered some good things i think. Most of the articles from those that played the guitar were very good. Folks raved about how the guitar played and sounded. Some say it played and sounded better than many high end classical guitars. I still however, cant figure out if it has a solid top or not. I am posting some pictures, hopefully someone out there can tell me. Thanks...
Last edited by Shakelford on Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shakelford

Post by Shakelford » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:51 pm

Sorry, i quoted by mistake and meant to edit.

Shakelford

Post by Shakelford » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:56 pm

How do i post a pic? If we're allowed to that is.

Shakelford

Post by Shakelford » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:20 pm

Here are the pictures of the Hernandis guitar. Is this just a plain $200 beginner guitar with a laminated top? Or something more?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:37 pm

To me it looks like an entry/studio guitar, perhaps an "upper studio model", with a price worthy of 300-400 dollars maybe (give or take). The tuners, as well as the choice of woods tells this. Most likely solid top and laminated back and sides. With that said, it could be a great guitar nevertheless.

Kind regards
/Jon
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2016 - Juan Miguel Carmona
2016 - Pete Beer

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

guitarseller345645

Post by guitarseller345645 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:35 pm

On the current Sherry Brener site, Hernandis guitars are listed at between 5000 dollars to 6000 dollars. While your guitar may not be same as those, they could be pretty good guitars since the makers may have been outfits like Yairi or Matsuoka. If nothing, the guitar has scandal value :)

TheEvan

Post by TheEvan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:20 pm

Same month and year as my Hernandis #1. I bought mine new back then for $350 (no, I didn't leave off a zero :roll: ) . Solid cedar top (as the above), laminated rosewood back and sides. Decent student guitar that served me well for many years. Just looking, it seems the only difference from the 2 was perhaps richer decoration.

The 1a, and Concert models were a nice step up from this one.

Side note: A few years ago I happened to spot Sherry's shop while walking down Michigan Ave. He was there, holding court. He informed me that black coffee was the one sure cure for cancer.

Mmmmmm-kay, Jim. :lol:

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”