Guitar value and value perception

Mollbarre

Guitar value and value perception

Post by Mollbarre » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:55 pm

I'm still very new to guitars, so please bear with me!

I'm just trying to feel my way through the CG forest. :D

Regarding the pricing of new instruments:

A "cheap" guitar, IMO, is $300 and under.

An "intermediate" guitar is $300-700.

An advanced student? guitar is $700-3000.

After that you get into higher end factory guitars and starter luthier guitars.

Yet - I've had people say a $700 guitar is really expensive. I suppose it all comes down to perspective?

Now - I've looked at at couple of $4,000-6,000 factory guitars (Gibsons - not classical however). So why would you buy one of those over a luthier instrument? Just because of branding - or do they have something else going for them?
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Re: Guitar value and value perception

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:48 pm

If you are new to CG and want somthing which is good for the money the best is to buy a nice used instrument. You can find nice new instruments also in the intermediate section as long as you know what to pay atention to, and depending where you are. To buy an advanced instrument is only worth it if you are advanced enough to define your criterias.

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:56 pm

Luthiers in the UK start from £2000. In fact Robin Greenwood was only charging £1500 a few years ago.
Some factory guitars are excellent. Some luthier guitars are not good! Just because a luthier made it, it absolutely does not guarantee it is going to sound great. But of course, some are fantastic.... Some factory guitars are also poor...
Some great knowledge on the forum here from people that know a lot of 'reliable' factory guitars - and good luthiers.
As above, go for used and always go for solid woods (unless you are not yet intermediate level). My beginner students buy Santos Martinez guitars. They are the best sounding and most consistent guitars I have ever seen for the price. I can play anything on them and they are less than £100 !
Classical guitar teacher

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:03 pm

I wouldn't worry about labels....cheap, intermeduate, expensive....it's all very subjective. Figure out what your budget is and shop in that price range.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:12 pm

Thank you for your replies. :D

I have 2 guitars already. Both were purchased new. I didn't/don't have the time or patience to sort through used guitars. I realize I paid a premium.

I don't think I have come across Santos Martinez in my neck of the woods. I will take a closer look though.

It's the pricing/quality levels of new instruments I was trying to get a handle on.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

GuitarsWeB

Post by GuitarsWeB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:28 pm

You can buy great guitars (used) under $3000. I picked up a Francisco Navarro a year ago on e - b a y, cocobolo and cedar, $1000. It’ a fantastic instrument

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Hi Molibarre,
+1 for what Riffmeister said. Keep in mind that the classical guitar world (that I'm aware of) doesn't have a well known brand such as Gibson or Martin. If I were you I would spend some time looking at new guitars at sites like Zavaleta's, Savage Classical Guitars, Chartwell Classical Guitars and GSI in California. There are other very fine dealers and I apologize to any that are Delcamp Members that I didn't mention. You mentioned that you don't have time to sort through used guitars, but If you want to buy new I suggest you at least take the time to see what kind/style of classical guitar you will like. I don't think beginner, intermediate, advanced has much bearing on guitar quality. The basic good quality classical guitar will have solid back and sides and either a cedar or Spruce top. After that the finish; sprayed on nitro cellulous lacquer or French Polish and then the quality of the tuning machines. Don't expect to walk in to the local 'Guitar World' store and find what you can buy at places such as I mentioned. It's really worth the time and effort to learn about classical guitars.
A luthier made guitar is not just about branding. Each luthier spends hours carefully making a responsive guitar that they will make to your specifications. Add that to the ability to have conversations with them and if you're near their shop visit and try out their guitars. Have fun with your search.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:12 pm

This for example would be a very good value for the money and I would buy it without any hesitation. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123729

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:54 am

If you want to enter into classical guitar territory,you have to get a proper classical neck profile and strings action,wider nut (at least 50mm) and saddle strings spacing.Build up your technique from learning through etudes.

Since you are new, a solid top with laminated back and sides will be sufficient.They sound as good and easier to take care in time of humidity swings,they are a lot cheaper rhan full solid ones.

However you can get all solid models too at moderate price range from famous brand names,so called their intermediate level guitars for college students.They come in standard measurements.

Luthier concert guitar is different category, it is made according to your own preference,the luthier will look into the personal details such as neck shape,strings action set up,scale length,traditional fan struts or lattice, double top etc.And the guitar is mostly French Polished to facilitate the vibration and projection,thus you can hear more detailed harmonics and resonance.It is highly sentitive and subcetible to relative humidity level,it has its good days and bad days.You can find many professional and amateur luthiers here.

I found Karel Dedain from Belgium through this forum after reading good reports about the maker.The traditional fan strutting Torres guitar that he made for me is a glove fit,smaller and shorter scale length,it sounds sweet but not loud.I simply love it!
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:48 am

See if there is an old (1970s or 1980s) Takamine C132S for sale in your area. It'll probably be around $500 US and are really nice-sounding and easy to play guitars.

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:09 am

Thanks everyone! I am looking at all the suggestions. :)

If I ever buy a third classical guitar I'll be much more knowledgeable about what's available and what the market is like.

In the mean time, I think I'll be okay with the two I already have. :D
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”