B-Stock Cordoba C10?

Hoang Le

B-Stock Cordoba C10?

Post by Hoang Le » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:11 am

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy my first guitar soon. I found on e - b a y a B-stock Cordoba C10 for $650. The description goes as follows: "This is an unsold and unplayed instrument that was set aside at the factory for cosmetic reasons. We buffed out any irregularities and are selling it as manufacturer refurbished with a 90 day factory warranty. We are an authorized Cordoba warranty service center. The label is marked with a B, although it is very hard to see."

Any word of advice? If anyone knows anything about this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Update: I did a little bit of research and it seemed like if B-stock is truly just cosmetic issues, i am totally fine with it. B-stock is really hard to re-sell but I don't plan to do that in the future. However, I found a lot of B-stock stuff with steel-string and electronic guitars but not really much with classical guitars (I could be wrong here).

Right now, in the US, I can find a new C9 for $860 and a new C10 for $1100. So $650 for a good C10 with a small mark on seems like a steal.

Thanks,
Hoang

beanctr

Re: B-Stock Cordoba C10?

Post by beanctr » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:20 pm

I bought a B stock C7 from the bay at a substantial discount, it was fine. There was a dent in the neck that the seller filled in and they did a good job.
rick
"Guitar Hobbyist"

dta721

Post by dta721 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:59 pm

Hoang Le wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:11 am
Update: I did a little bit of research and it seemed like if B-stock is truly just cosmetic issues, i am totally fine with it. B-stock is really hard to re-sell but I don't plan to do that in the future. However, I found a lot of B-stock stuff with steel-string and electronic guitars but not really much with classical guitars (I could be wrong here).

Right now, in the US, I can find a new C9 for $860 and a new C10 for $1100. So $650 for a good C10 with a small mark on seems like a steal.

Cordoba B-stocks with cosmetic issue(s) would not affect the guitar's sound, which should be my main focus getting it. That said, there are opinions in this forum favor the C9 over C10 especially in terms of sound (I have no personal experience). If I can, I would try both in the same room, a C9 and a B-stock C10 to see which one I like better before deciding.

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:22 pm

dta721 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:59 pm
Hoang Le wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:11 am

Cordoba B-stocks with cosmetic issue(s) would not affect the guitar's sound, which should be my main focus getting it. That said, there are opinions in this forum favor the C9 over C10 especially in terms of sound (I have no personal experience). If I can, I would try both in the same room, a C9 and a B-stock C10 to see which one I like better before deciding.
I have extensive experience with the C9 and C10. I owned a C9 for several years. I wouldn't say the C9 is any better. I also wouldn't say the C10 is considerably better either. It can depend on luck of the draw since no guitar is exactly the same. I think the C10 for $650 is a great deal and I'd go with that for sure. I personally favor spruce over cedar for the C10.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Mollbarre

Post by Mollbarre » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:38 pm

I have a C10 crossover - that I bought a month ago. It has a spruce top. My Fender has a cedar top.

Both guitars look great - but I must admit, I like the look of the spruce a wee bit better.

Can't play well enough to comment on any tonal differences. ;)

I would think it's a pretty good deal.
2016 Fender CN320AS
2018 Cordoba C10 crossover
2018 Ibanez GA5TCE
...and miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Hoang Le

Post by Hoang Le » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:25 pm

Thank everyone. I decided to buy it. The guitar will arrive at my home tomorrow or Friday.

@beanctr: This C10 is also significantly cheaper than a new one so I'm hoping this deal works out well.

@dta721: I read somewhere about the C9 are sometimes "better" than the C10 but I think I won't hear any difference with my untrained ears. Right now I need a guitar to start taking lessons, so if this B-stock C10 sounds and plays just like a regular C10, I will be more than happy to take it.

@souldier, @Mollbarre: Thanks. This one is a spruce top so let's hope I'm lucky to get a good one.

beanctr

Post by beanctr » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:29 pm

At one time I had a spruce C10 and it was an excellent guitar, I'm sure you'll like it. Rick
"Guitar Hobbyist"

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:02 pm

A C10 is a great starter guitar. I think it will give you many years of enjoyment. As you improve in skill, you will be able to bring out more of its beauty. You'll need to learn how to properly shape and polish your nails, right hand technique, etc. to really get more out of your guitar.

As it is winter I would suggest you make necessary preparations to humidify the guitar to prevent any damage from developing due to the low humidity.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Keith

Post by Keith » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:52 am

B stock = cosmetic blemish = reduced price. How can you say no?
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”