Ibanez Mastercraft Classic GS-8/ i seek some background knowledge

Aromakoffein

Ibanez Mastercraft Classic GS-8/ i seek some background knowledge

Post by Aromakoffein » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:47 pm

Hello folks,
i started playing the guitar fairly recent and i don't know too much guitars to be honest.
I had to buy a new guitar because my teacher told me mine is too small for me, so i went to e - b a y and got myself an Ibanez Masterclass Classic GS-8.
I've seen in this forum that it should be a good guitar but i only found information for the models 10+.
I paid around 380€ for it including the shipping.
I'm still waiting for the guitar to arive and i'm pretty hyped about it.
Can you give me some Informations regarding the original pricing and the quality i can expect from it? I would like to know if i played myself there.
English is not my native language, I'm sorry if i made some grave mistakes regarding the grammar.
Thanks in advance for your help!

guitarseller345645

Re: Ibanez Mastercraft Classic GS-8/ i seek some background knowledge

Post by guitarseller345645 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:20 am

Great price for a quality guitar alternatively labelled as Tama/Juan Orozco/Kohno Sakurai (as I vaguely understand). Not widely available either (Ibanez Mastercraft label). Do give a review.

Here is something I have (cannot remember the origins):

''The Ibanez Mastercraft series was, in fact, simply the Tama TC 10 and Tc 15 badge engineered as Ibanez Mastercraft . These guitars are all solid woods with the Kohno style 6 parallel struts, a major cross brace, full length bridge patch and 2 further cross braces plus a horizontal closing bar. the second parallel strut from the treble end was considerably thicker than the other 5 struts and in addition passed over the closing bar at the bottom of the guitar.
The guitars were all similar including the earlier GA 10 and GA 15--the 15 (top model) had Brazilian Jacaranda back and sides as opposed to Indian rosewood on the other models. All had specially selected solid spruce tops. Most, but not all, had the double ebony insert at the back of the neck. All these guitars were quite heavy and had the typical Kohno "piano" sound which is quite distinct from the "Spanish" sound.''

PS Cost was approx $280 in 1980.

bogdan

Post by bogdan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:14 am

Great price, indeed.
And yes, made in the same factory as the similar Tama TC 8/10/15 and Juan Orozco Model 8/10/15 (but not original Kohno or Sakurai), and just labeled differently.
Very close in sound to Masaru Kohno guitars, so you got yourself and excellent guitar for a steal of a price.
I own a Juan Orozco Model 10 (the Ibanez equivalent would be GS-10).
GS-8 and GS-10 must be similar. Both are built with Indian Rosewood B&S and should have the two ebony reinforcement stripes on the back of the neck.

The model numbers most likely reflected the price, just like for Kohno, Sakurai and other Japanese instruments.
But my impression based on owning both Orozco and Kohno guitars is that the Ibanez/Tama/Orozco were equivalent in construction with the next higher Kohno model. So your guitar would be equivalent with a Masaru Kohno #10.
The price of your GS-8 was definitely higher than $280, most likely $800 - $1000.

A few years ago there used to be more info about these instruments on the Web, but not much so anymore.
You may check these:
oldguitar.jp/catalog/tama/Tama_Ibanez_78_Usa_06.jpg
www.hufschlag.info/html/guitars.htm (see the info about TC 8 to 15 models at the bottom of that list, including prices)

There is also some more info on this forum. See for example:
www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopi ... 7&t=122336

May I ask you to post some pictures when you receive the guitar?

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:51 am

Never heard of GS-8, interesting. It's most likely similar to a Tama TC-8 and the "value" for that reason is 500-1000 Euro, depending on condition. Great find. Can you share some pictures of the guitar?

/Jon
1964 - Masaru Kohno No.7
2016 - Juan Miguel Carmona
2016 - Pete Beer

Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Aromakoffein

Post by Aromakoffein » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:51 pm

Thanks for all the answers!
I just hope it arrives healthy and the delivery guy doesn't step on it by accident ;D.
Once i have it i sure can post some pictures for you guys, no problem.
My other find is an ~60 Years old guitar from the Luthier Anton Sandner. It has 2 Cracks though, but my teacher said it should still work fine.
I'm hyped for it!

Aromakoffein

Post by Aromakoffein » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:20 am

The guitar arrived!
My first impression was: It's heavy, the second was: good string placement, wow.
I'm a beginner so i can just compare it too my Höffner 11m-s.
The tone is much fuller, the guitar more responsive. It's heavier, what is nice for me because i'm rather big and it feels nice so have something in my arms there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

es335

Post by es335 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:11 am

Congrats! No doubt about her coming from the Kohno workshop! Nice find in really good condition. Will be a significant upgrade from your Hofner guitar.

If you look inside the sound hole you should find a brand stamp at the neck block which presumably tells the date of manufacture.

Enjoy your new guitar! :wink:

PS: Ibanez Mastercraft guitars were mainly for the German market and distributed by Meinl. Their list price ranged was above 1000 DM in the 80s. Here is a link to an old catalogue were Masaki Sakurai is shown on one picture from the workshop.
Last edited by es335 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aromakoffein

Post by Aromakoffein » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:19 am

You're right, there is a brand. It says 0608242. Can you interpret it's meaning?
06/1982? 06/08/xxxx?

es335

Post by es335 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:33 am

That’s an odd numbering. Kohnos from that time usually have 6 digits, which is obviously the date of manufacture. Maybe yours is month and year of manufacture (06 and 82) and a serial number and the third digit 0 is just a filler to distinguish these guitars from Kohno labled guitars!? Just a hypothesis. There are better experts around who may chime in and decode this puzzle?! :wink:

bogdan

Post by bogdan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:16 pm

Thank you for the pictures!
The guitar looks really nice.
es335 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:11 am
No doubt about her coming from the Kohno workshop!
I respectfully disagree.
This comes from the (famous) Tama/Ibanez factory in Nagoya, while the Kohnos were made in their Tokyo workshop.
Nevertheless, they are excellent instruments, IMO built at the same level of excellence as the Kohnos.
es335 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:11 am
Nice find in really good condition. Will be a significant upgrade from your Hofner.
Totally agree with this! :-)

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:43 pm

Great guitar, good price, enjoy. I always recommend these older Japanese production guitars because they are so much better than Cordoba...same price only difference is quality everything.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”