Can you identify this signature on Hirade H8

GerryM

Can you identify this signature on Hirade H8

Post by GerryM » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:09 pm

I just received a 1988 Hirade Model 8 from Guitar Center Houston . I bought it sight unseen and with no real description and one distant photo because of their simple return policy (I can return it to my local store within 3 days for a full refund if I don't like it). To my surprise it turned out to be a near mint condition Master Arte model with a signed label, however I cannot decipher the signature. Can anyone help me?

In addition to being in almost perfect condition the spruce top is one of the most perfect I have ever seen with close, uniform grain and lots of silk.

I am pretty impressed with the guitar. For being 31 years old it looks almost new. The sound is very nice also. :D

Gerry

This was edited to use links. Hope it works now. Still learning the intricacies of a new forum. :chaud:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GerryM on Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pogmoor

Re: Can you identify this signature on Hirade H8$

Post by pogmoor » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:40 pm

GerryM wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:09 pm
ps. This is my first attempt to use Google Photos for images. Hope it works. :wink:
Not for me, I'm afraid - and the links that lead to the photos only open if you are signed into Google (which I'm not). Better to post the images as attachments following the instructions given here.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

GerryM

Post by GerryM » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:45 pm

OK, can't get images to appear, just a link. Lets try this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:57 pm

That's much better :)
If it sounds as good as it looks you may have an excellent guitar there. The serial number tallies with the age you say it is, so it's obviously been very well treated.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Trev

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:50 pm

as pogmoor says the serial number indicates year '88, also 11th month and 152nd guitar made.
I have an Hirade H20, year '95, I believe the model number is something to do with where the guitar is marketed, Home, US, Europe etc and quality level. Mine carries the exact same signature but unable to identify a name. It has BRW back and sides and the same silking on the spruce top. The purfling around the top on mine is slightly more decorative. I won the guitar at auction, it came from a shop closing down sale and had been marketed in Belgium, paperwork which came with it showed price tag of 3700 euro's.
The guitar in the pic's is a fine guitar and from what you have said it looks win win.
Trev
Jose Antonio Lagunar 2017
Alvarez Yairi 1981
Takamine Hirade H20

GerryM

Post by GerryM » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:30 am

I have been examining the label blown up and have a possible name and association with Takamine. Takamine's Head Master Luthier Masaichi Furui built and signed guitars for Takamine in the 1978-80 time period. I believe the first name on the label may be Futuo, ie. Futuo Furui. Perhaps the son of Masaichi?

The name of Masaichi Furui appears in a description of a 1978 Takamine 10 sold on Reverb. The rest just my guess. Has anyone heard of this luthier, either Masaichi or Futuo?

beanctr

Re: Can you identify this signature on Hirade H8

Post by beanctr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:14 pm

Looks like a Kohno top. R
"Guitar Hobbyist"

GerryM

Post by GerryM » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:25 pm

It is a Kohno top. Just stuck a led light strip into the sound hole and inspected it and found a somewhat complex lattice bracing. Lots of different spaced and sized braces. I guess the lack of print thru on the top was the give away?

Mr.Rain

Post by Mr.Rain » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:13 pm

I can read "_ _ taro Furui"
"taro" is a name suffix in Japan(Kitaro .ie)

On a second thought it maybe Fūtarō Furui (that explains the dash near the 1st F...)

GerryM

Post by GerryM » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:15 pm

Here is the label taken from a 1995 H8 currently on Thebay. Unfortunately it darker and pretty low resolution. It does show the same dash or dot before the "t" in the first name. However the rest is pretty uncertain.

GerryM

Post by GerryM » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:21 pm

Here is another one from Reverb. Looks like an " i " to me.

GerryM

Post by GerryM » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:43 am

"Looks like a Kohno top. R"

I photographed the bracing and it is very similar to those I can find for Kohno tops.

Return to “Advice on buying, selling or valuing a guitar”